UCalgary's Respect Program Model
The University of Calgary is very clear on its philosophy on Respect in the Workplace. In addition, the university has several policies, procedures, and statements relating to Respect, including the Code of Conduct, the Harassment policy, the Workplace Violence policy, the Workplace Investigation procedure, and Procedures for Protected Disclosure.
Creating Awareness and Learning
Human Resources is executing the university's Respect campaign to create awareness and learning. This campaign offers two key steps in our journey to move forward with a cultural change critical to achieving our Eyes High goals. This step includes a Respect Workshop.
The Respect Workshop is focused on competencies and strategies to enhance your personal and leadership effectiveness, and our workplace culture. It is very interactive, practical and supportive.
Other plans related to awareness and learning include:
- offering on-line toolkits: discussion guides and tips for individuals, leaders and teams
- placing Culture of Respect/Respectful workplace items in the Wellness newsletter
- integrating the Culture of Respect into HR programs (e.g. orientation, onboarding, performance management, leadership development)
- offering sessions with external speakers and trainers (e.g. bullying, dealing with conflict)
The Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion offers a number of workshops, some of which are noted below:
- Anti-discrimination/racism Response Training (A.R.T.)
- Bullying and Toxic Behaviours in the Workplace
- Micro-Aggressions in the Workplace Unmasked
- Sex, Power and Boundaries in the Ivory Tower
- Bullies, Boors and Bigots
- Homophobia & Transphobia
- Promoting a Positive Sport Environment
- The Uh-Oh Syndrome
- What You Don't Know: The Science of Unconscious Bias
Support and Response
The university is working with the Faculty Association and AUPE to ensure that our faculty and staff are supported in the event of any complaints related to discrimination, harassment, bullying, or psychological safety.
HR is also committed to ensure all HR Partners are trained in the Investigation process to support our Management and Professional and other non-unionized staff. HR Services provides investigation and intervention services.
Talent Management provides coaching and team development intervention services to intact work teams and leaders as needed. Some external support may be required.