The OEDI is committed to establishing an equitable, diverse, and inclusive campus that is accessible to all and free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination. We strive to remove barriers that have been, and continue to be, encountered by equity deserving groups, including women, Indigenous peoples, visible/racialized minorities, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+.
The OEDI serves as a centralized resource for equity, diversity, and inclusion through resources and education, we will continue to foster a community of change-makers. We will support the development of future leaders to work effectively in a safe community where individuals feel valued for their skills, abilities, and contributions.
The key accountabilities of the vice-provost (EDI) include serving as the institutional lead on human right and EDI, and the administration and advocacy related to human rights and EDI at UCalgary.
- Serves as a role model and mentor to motivate and encourage colleagues to enhance UCalgary's reputation for excellence in this area.
- Participates as a member of the Provost’s Team and the university's Senior Leadership Team.
- Collaborates with the 14 faculties and cross-campus support services, develops and leads a strong team of faculty and staff who support the development and implementation of frameworks, policies, and initiatives that foster a culture of excellence, innovation, collaboration, engagement, and accountability for EDI initiatives.
- Pursues strategies that consider individuals, populations with distinct needs, and relevant communities to deliver education using multiple formats, strategies and contexts designed to provide universal access.
- Contributes to effective, collaborative relations with faculty, staff, and student associations.
- Reinforces UCalgary's strategic initiatives and works collaboratively with the leads of the initiatives with the intersections between them and EDI.
- Contributes to and reinforces a strong sense of community and the articulation of a shared vision.
- Ensures education and response strategies are accessible to all University community members.
- Supports the development of leadership skills and a culture of inclusiveness and respect within the UCalgary community.
- Develops and administers frameworks, policies, and programmes that support our EDI objectives.
- Reviews and assesses existing policies, frameworks and programs on their effective implementation of EDI objectives.
- Develops and sustains an effective budget and organizational structure that addresses the needs of the University and ensures that EDI efforts are financially sustainable.
- Maintains close liaison with the University of Calgary community through advisory committees, student groups, and administrative officers and direct consultation, presentations, surveys, reports, and any relevant feedback system.
- Ensures compliance with University regulations, policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with the Vice-Provost (Student Experience) and the Vice-Provost and Dean (Graduate Studies) to achieve diversity enrolment goals at the undergraduate and graduate levels and develop initiatives to improve the student experience.
- Engages in developing a spectrum of learning opportunities for the campus community on EDI principles, enacting the principles, and ways to overcome barriers to their effective implementation.
- Acknowledges and appreciates the intersection of social identities, systems of oppression, and the discrimination connected to unequal distributions of power in general and those within university structures, hierarchies, and power relations.
- Engages the campus community about EDI activities, research, teaching, program development, and partnerships.
- Builds effective relationships, promotes and serves as a dedicated advocate for EDI within and outside our campus community to a broad spectrum of constituents.
- Participates in and leads initiatives and projects at the local, regional, national, and international levels, dealing with EDI issues affecting post-secondary institutions.