Immigration Guidelines

Management & Professional Staff and Support Staff

Before Arrival

Once the recruitment process has been completed, your hiring manger will submit the necessary documentation to Human Resources – Immigration Services to start the immigration process.

Immigration Services reviews the documentation and submits an application for a Labour Market & Impact Assessment to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada. In certain cases, an exemption from the requirement to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment may apply, such as, International Free Trade Agreements (NAFTA/ USMCA, Canada-Chile CCFTA), Research Award Recipients, etc. The applicable exemption will be specified in your official letter of offer.

If the application is successful, Immigration Services will receive a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC/Service Canada. A copy of the LMIA will be forwarded to you via email.
ESDC/Service Canada has established a maximum period of six (6) months during which an LMIA may be used to apply for a work permit. The LMIA expiry date is noted on the LMIA Confirmation (Annex).

As soon as you have received the offer letter and LMIA Confirmation (or identified LMIA exemption), you are required to apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (CIC) for a temporary work permit.

  1. Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

    As of March 15, 2016, foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries travelling to Canada by air must obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to boarding their flight. Foreign nationals who apply for a work permit outside Canada or apply within Canada will be issued an eTA when their work permit application is approved. A separate application for eTA will be not required. However, if you are eligible and plan to apply for a work permit when you enter Canada, you may need to apply for an eTA in advance to ensure that you are able to board your flight. Check the IRCC website to detailed information.

  2. Biometric Identity Screening

    Everyone who applies for a visitor visa, a work or study permit (except US citizens), permanent residence, refugee or asylum status will need to give fingerprints and a photograph. This is called "biometrics" and the Government of Canada collects this information to manage identity and facilitate application processing. If you are an affected national, you are advised to plan ahead for travel to a visa centre (VAC), in order to avoid further delays with your immigration application.

There are different ways to apply for a work permit, depending on where you are applying from.

If You Apply as You Enter Canada

In some cases, you can apply for a work permit when you arrive in Canada. You may apply for a work permit at the Canadian border only if:

  • you are from a visa exempt country and you have an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or are eTA exempt,
  • you already hold a valid medical certificate, if you need it for your job, or are from a designated country, and either
  • you have proof your employer has submitted a copy of a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), if needed, or
  • you have the ID number your employer received when they submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal, if you do not need an LMIA.

If you are eligible, you can make a request directly at a Canadian port of entry for authorization to work in Canada. You must present the same documents as you would if you were applying from outside Canada, as outlined in the “Applying for a Work Permit” section below.

If You Apply from Inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

  • you have a valid study permit or work permit, or your spouse has a study or work permit
  • you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more
  • you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada.

You can either mail in your application to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton, AB or apply on-line for your work permit. For information on the application process, refer to the CIC website.

No Matter Where You Apply, to Obtain a Work Permit You Must:

  • satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of the your work permit
  • show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada
  • respect the law and have no criminal record (you may have to provide a police clearance certificate)
  • show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada
  • be in good health (You may be required to undergo a medical examination)
  • not intend to engage in employment with an employer on the list of ineligible employers found on CIC’s website
  • provide any additional documents requested by the officer to establish admissibility.

Apply Online

To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. You can determine your eligibility and apply online on the CIC website.

If you are eligible to apply online, you will receive a personal checklist code for use in your online application. Your personal checklist code will be valid for 60 days.

Apply on Paper

If you reside outside of Canada, follow the application steps outlined on the IRCC website.

You may download and print the application package, which includes the Instruction Guide and all the forms you need to fill out, as well as a Document Checklist, which details all documents you need to submit to CIC.

After obtaining the proper instructions, forms and checklists, you must gather the required documents: 

  • Use the Document Checklist [IMM 5488] to assist in gathering the required documents
  • You must complete the Document Checklist [IMM 5488] and include it with your application forms and supporting documents
  • Many visa offices may require additional supporting documents specific to a particular country. For special instructions on these requirements, consult the information for your specific country.

Generally, the required documents common to most visa offices include:

Proof of identity

  • A valid passport or travel document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it (original valid passport only if you require a temporary resident visa (TRV), or photocopy of the information page of your passport if you do not require a TRV)
  • Two (2) photos of the applicant and accompanying family members (according to photo specifications found in instructions guide).

Proof of employment in Canada

  • The letter of offer from the University of Calgary
  • The positive LMIA Confirmation from ESDC/Service Canada, if one is required — or the ID number the University of Calgary received upon submission of an offer of employment through the Employer Portal, if you do not need an LMIA.
  • Evidence that you meet the requirements of the job being offered (i.e., copies of relevant education certificates, degrees (i.e., your PhD parchment), up-to-date curriculum vitae, employment references outlining previous jobs, etc.).

On February 21, 2015, new regulations came into effect requiring employers who provide LMIA-exempt offers of employment to foreign nationals in the International Mobility Program to: 1. provide the “offer of employment to a foreign national exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)” form directly to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC); and 2. electronically pay the employer compliance fee.

If applicable, the University of Calgary will provide you with the required ID number proving that the employer compliance fee has been paid. You must include this ID number in your work permit application. Note that you will still be required to pay the CAD$155 work permit processing fee.

Proof of relationship

  •  You may be required to provide a marriage certificate and birth certificates for any accompanying family member
  • If you are in a common-law relationship and your common-law partner will be accompanying, you must complete the "Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union" form [IMM 5409] and provide evidence outlined on the form to support the relationship. 

      Other Documents

      • If you are not a citizen of the country in which you are applying, you must provide proof of your present immigration status in the country of application;
      • If the government that issued your passport or travel document requires a re-entry permit this must be obtained before you apply for a Canadian visa.

      Translation of documents

      If documents are in a language other than English or French, check with the responsible visa office to determine whether they need to be translated.

      If a Certified or True Copy of a Document is Required

      The Instruction Guide [IMM 5487] provides detailed instructions on how documents are certified or made into true copies. Some visa offices may require original documentation.

      Completing the Forms

      After gathering the required documents, you must complete the following forms:

      Instructions that pertain to all forms are:

      • Applicants must answer all questions on the form, unless indicated otherwise. (On the electronic Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada [IMM 1295], questions will automatically block out if not applicable.
      • On all other forms, if a question is not applicable, indicate N/A, rather than leaving the reply space blank.
      • If more space is needed to reply to a question, print out an additional page containing the appropriate section, complete it and submit it with the application.
      • Follow the Instruction Guide carefully when completing the forms. The guide walks you through question by question.

      Processing Fees

      • The $155 CAD fee must be included with the application.
      • Check the website of the appropriate visa office for payment method options
      • The processing fee will not be refunded, regardless of the final decision.

      Once an Application is Submitted

      A complete package, including all required documentation and information facilitates the processing time of an application.

      The Instruction Guide indicates that the following factors may delay the processing of an application:

      • missing signature on application forms
      • missing documentation
      • unclear photocopies of documents
      • documents not accompanied by a certified English or French translation
      • verification of information and documents provided
      • a medical condition that may require additional tests or consultations
      • a criminal or security problem
      • consultation is required with other offices in Canada or abroad

      Processing times vary between visa offices. In general terms some offices may be able to complete processing for workers in as little as ten days, whereas other offices take in the range of six to nine months. It is unclear why there is such a wide variance in process times, however, factors that may influence the period of processing include:

      • Volume of files handled by the visa office
      • Background checks done by the visa office
      • Whether an interview is required for the applicant
      • Whether the application was complete or required further supporting documents
      • Whether a medical examination was required by the visa office

      For processing times, see the CIC's website.

      Determine if You Need the Following

      You must meet the general requirements for entering Canada. This means that you might need a passport and a temporary resident visa (TRV). A temporary resident visa is an official document issued by a visa office abroad and is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. A valid temporary resident visa is not a guarantee of entry into Canada, an officer at the port of entry will decide if you still meet the requirements for admission when you arrive. There is no need to apply separately for a temporary resident visa. If your application for a work permit is approved, a temporary resident visa will be placed in your passport.

      Some citizens from visa-exempt countries have to meet more requirements, such as having a machine-readable passport or an e-passport to travel to Canada.

      1. You will need a medical examination if:

        • you have resided or stayed temporarily for six or more consecutive months in a designated country or territory in the one year immediately preceding the date you sought entry into Canada. This applies even if you are a citizen of a country where you do not require a visa to enter Canada. The determining factor is not citizenship, but whether you resided in a designated country or territory in the preceding twelve months

        • if you intend to work in an occupation in which the protection of public health is essential.

        If you are still uncertain about whether you need a medical examination, consult a visa office near you. If you do need a medical examination, your own doctor cannot perform the medical exam. You must see a doctor on the list of Panel Physicians authorized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). The panel physician will perform a complete medical exam and may refer you for chest x-rays and laboratory tests. Once your exam has been completed, the physician will send the results directly to CIC.

      2. Two ways you can have your medical exam

        • Wait for instructions form the visa office after you have submitted your application. In this case, you must go for the medical exam within 30 days of receiving the medical instructions from the visa office. Your application may be refused if you do not.
        • Undergo your medical exam before you submit your application.
          • This is called an upfront medical exam.
          • You can contact a panel physician directly to get your medical.
          • Once your medical exam has been completed, the doctor will give you a document confirming that you underwent a medical exam. You must include a copy of that document with your application.
          • You must attach this document to your application before you submit it the visa office. If you apply online, you must upload that form before you can submit your application.

      You may need a criminal and security check if you are coming to Canada as a temporary worker. Most visa offices do not require that a person provide a police certificate. However, there is a requirement that a foreign worker be admissible to Canada, including not having previous criminal convictions as specifically set out in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. To learn more about criminal and security checks, refer to the CIC website.

      Consult the information specific to your country to determine whether you need to provide police certificates and consult the Visa Instruction Guide for your country.

      Your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children who wish to visit Canada must apply for permission to do so by filling out their own temporary residence form (Temporary Resident Visa, study permit or work permit). However, you may send all family member application forms in the same envelope with only one payment receipt for the total amount. Your spouse or common-law partner and children must meet all the requirements for temporary residence to Canada. They may be required to provide evidence that they are law abiding and have no criminal record. If your family member applies for a temporary resident visa (TRV), they must also meet all the conditions to obtain the visa. If your family members wish to follow you to Canada at a later date, they must complete a separate application for admission.

      Dependent children may be your own children or those of your spouse or common-law partner.

      You may be required to provide a marriage certificate and birth certificates for any accompanying family members. If you are in a common-law relationship and your common-law partner will accompany you to Canada, you may be required to complete a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union” form [IMM 5409] form. Also provide evidence outlined on the form to support your relationship, such as: joint bank accounts and/or credit cards, joint ownership of residential property, joint residential leases, joint utilities accounts, joint management of household expenditures, evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items, joint life insurance policies, etc.

      In terms of schooling, subsection A30(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act allows for dependent minor children already in Canada to attend any school up to the conclusion of secondary school, without the need for a study permit. This exemption from the requirement for a study permit for minors is only applicable when the minor is in Canada. Visa offices processing minor children outside Canada who want to study in Canada will process them as students and not visitors, even when accompanying a parent who is authorized to either work or study in Canada. If a study permit was not obtained for a minor child at a visa office outside Canada, and because port of entries are considered ‘in Canada’ for the interpretation of A30(2), an officer at a port of entry will authorize entry of the child as a temporary resident within the visitor class of all requirements are met (i.e., the accompanying parent is permitted to work or study in Canada) and the child will be documented on a visitor record.

      The following information summarizes the documents needed for minor children to enrol in primary or secondary school in Canada. 

      If the Child is a Canadian

      Documents needed: Passport, citizenship card, or birth certificate. Study permit not required.

      If the Child is a Permanent Resident

      Documents needed: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) or Permanent Resident Card. Study permit not required.

      If the Child is Alone or with a Parent who is a Temporary Resident and Has a Study or Work Permit

      Documents needed: Child's passport or child listed on parent's passport. The child may have a visitor record. The parent has a study or work permit. Study permit is not required.

      *The child may have either a visitor record or a study permit when entering Canada. The child is authorized to study without a study permit if he or she has only the visitor record or a Canadian entry stamp on his or her passport.

      Non-dependent children (19+ years old) and/or those pursuing higher level of education, however, will require study permits and would be required to apply in the ordinary fashion, as described on the CIC website.

      Parents/guardians coming to Canada temporarily, who bring a child without the other parent, should also ensure that they take precautions vis-à-vis "child abduction" issues. If only one parent is coming, he/she should ensure that there is appropriate documentation permitting the child to travel with him/her. This could include, if appropriate, court custodial documentation, or, at least, a notarized letter, including contact information, from the other parent authorizing the child to travel with the parent who is coming to Canada.

      May My Spouse or Common-law Partner Work in Canada?

      In order to work in Canada, your spouse or common-law partner must apply for their own work permit and must meet the same standards that regularly apply to a work permit issuance. However, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for an "open" work permit that allows them to accept any type of employment in Canada. This enables a spouse to obtain a work permit prior to commencing a job search and facilitates the ability to commence working immediately on securing employment. However, some restrictions may apply. For example, if medicals are not passed, occupation may be restricted (i.e., where the occupation in question is one where there may be a risk to public health). Examples of professions with issues of public health may include teachers in contact with children, camp counsellors, people in any health field (such as doctors or nurses), and some agricultural workers. For further information, refer to the IRCC website.

      Spouses who have declared their intention to work will now be able to apply for an "open" work permit at the same time that they apply for entry to Canada through a visa office at a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate abroad or at a Canadian port of entry, if they do not require a temporary resident visa (TRV) in order to enter Canada. Spouses who accompany principal applicants to Canada first as visitors, but who later decide once in Canada to seek employment, may apply to the Case Processing Center in Vegreville, Alberta. Their work permit will be issued for the same time duration as that of the foreign worker's work permit.

      May My Dependent Children Work in Canada?

      If your dependent children want to work while in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit. Normally, they must meet the same standards that regularly apply to a work permit issuance.


      The port of entry process will run smoothly if you understand these basic rules for granting application, and are well prepared to satisfy each of the required elements. Should problems arise, please remain calm and cooperative with the officer – your demeanor may affect the outcome. Sometimes it is possible to call the employer to resolve issues or to obtain additional documentation.

      Know What Procedures to Expect

      • On arrival at a port of entry you will note that there is a two-tier system to immigration inspections. There is the primary inspection line and there can be secondary inspection. Primary inspection is what all persons arriving expect in terms of an officer inspecting passports, etc (note that in Canada, the persons operating this line are now Canada Border Services Agency or CBSA officers, looking at customs, immigration and other issues). Persons with any matter that is beyond a simple visit can often expect to be sent for secondary inspection. Any time documentation must be generated (work permits, visitor records, etc.) inspection/verification of detailed documents must occur, secondary inspection (also called examination) is warranted.

      • Despite any pre-clearance that may have been done, it is up to the officer at the port of entry to determine whether you are entitled to entry or to be issued a work permit. It may go without saying that all questions of the officer must be answered truthfully. It would be prudent as well, to answer respectfully; of course legal rights are made for protection of applicants, but where the line of questioning is legitimate, there would appear to be no advantage to using an offensive tone of voice – sometimes it is the form, rather than the substance of what is said or presented which causes roadblocks.

      Ensure You Have All Required Documentation

      • You should have in your possession and be familiar with all relevant documents – i.e. original Board Appointment Letter (job offer), Labour Market Impact Assessment Confirmation provided by Service Canada, proof of identity, copy of your highest degree as proof of professional standing. Photocopies of these documents may be sufficient, but officials are increasingly requiring original letters from employers, and in some cases, original or certified copies of supporting documentation.

      Ensure You Meet Admissibility Rules

      • Be prepared for questions regarding previous criminal involvement, any serious medical condition or past problems with immigration authorities. Withholding this information can result in denial of entry or lengthy delays. This situation can be very frustrating/embarrassing and in most cases, can be avoided. There are extensive information-sharing agreements among Canada, the United States, and many other countries that may enable Immigration Officers to know as much about you as the police in your home country. Different countries have different standards for inadmissibility, and it is best to be familiar with them in advance. For instance, a drunk driving conviction is not a bar to entering the United States, but renders a person inadmissible to enter Canada. The issuance of a pardon or expungement does not necessarily overcome inadmissibility, and does not relieve a person from admitting the original conviction if asked; the port of entry records may still show the original conviction.
      • You should also be aware that both the U.S. and Canada allow exclusion if an Immigration Officer has reasonable grounds to believe that an individual has committed a criminal offence, even though charges or conviction may not have occurred.

      Avoid Misrepresentation

      • A foreign national who makes a material misrepresentation (misstating credentials, letters of reference, etc.) or who withholds information on a relevant matter (criminal involvement, prior immigration difficulties, previous illegal work in Canada, etc.) that could induce an error in the administration of Canada’s Immigration & Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), is liable for prosecution. The Act imposes significant fines and may make an individual inadmissible to Canada for 5 years.

      Anticipate the Admissibility and Requirements of Dependents

      • If you are accompanied or followed by a spouse and/or dependent children, you can avoid delays by knowing whether special procedures are required for them. Inadmissible dependents may not be permitted entry and could jeopardize the entry of the principal applicant.
      • If your spouse or children were born in a country that requires a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), be sure to have it issued by a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate abroad prior to entry.
      • Canada Immigration requires medical examinations for persons who have recently resided in countries with known health risks. This process can delay an application for up to several weeks.
      • Spouses and dependents may apply at a Canadian embassy or consulate abroad if they require study or work permits of their own. Family members may apply from within the country if the principal applicant resides in Canada and holds a work permit. Nationals or permanent residents of the United States, Greenland, St.-Pierre and Miquelon may apply for study or work permits at the port of entry to Canada.

      Understand the Concept of Temporary Intent

      • Most countries presume that a person arriving at a port-of-entry is an intending immigrant without a proper visa, unless the individual satisfies them of a bona fide intention to remain only temporarily. Entry can be refused if an Immigration Officer believes that you intend to stay permanently, or will not comply with the terms and conditions of admission.
      • If you apply for permanent residence at the same time, you should be familiar with the concept of dual intent. This policy (recognized in both Canada and the United States), acknowledges that you may ultimately intend to immigrate, but in the meantime, intend to comply with all terms and conditions.

      Know the Applicable Customs Regulations

      Some basic rules and regulations of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) include:

      • goods may be detained if they arrive before a work permit is issued
      • resale of imported automobiles and other goods may not be allowed without paying duties
      • an itemized inventory of goods to be brought into Canada may facilitate processing
      • knowing what goods are prohibited or limited may prevent embarrassment or loss.

      The designated moving company for the University of Calgary (Highland Moving and Storage Ltd.) will advise you on applicable custom regulations when the estimate of weight and cost of goods to be transported is completed.

      When you enter Canada, explain to the immigration officer that you have come here to work. Be prepared to show the following documents to assist the immigration officer in issuing a temporary work permit:

      • The letter of offer from the University of Calgary
      • Proof indicating that you meet the requirements of the job being offered (i.e., a copy of your PhD degree, up-to-date curriculum vitae, employment references outlining previous jobs (if applicable), etc.)
      • Passport (for yourself and accompanying family members)
      • Temporary Resident Visa (if applicable)
      • Marriage certificate or Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union for accompanying spouse/common-law partner
      • Temporary Resident Visa (if applicable)
      • Children’s birth certificates (if applicable)

      An officer may impose, vary or cancel conditions when issuing a work permit. These may include one or more of the following:

      • the type of employment/occupation in which you may work
      • the employer for whom you may work
      • where you may work/location
      • how long you may continue to work

      Review your work permit carefully for validity and accuracy including your name and date of birth, the name of your employer, location of employment and type of work you do, prior to leaving the immigration office. There are sometimes technical or clerical errors made on work permit and other immigration documents. Where such errors are made at a port of entry, they can be corrected at the port of entry, at no cost. Do not hesitate to ask questions and/or request a correction if needed. If the error is detected after you are admitted to Canada, you will need to contact the inland CIC Call Centre (1.888.242.2100), which will contact the port of entry and have a new document sent to you. This process may be time-consuming. A clear error, however, should not invalidate a work permit, but should be corrected once detected.

      Immigration officers cannot issue a work permit or grant status as a temporary worker beyond the validity of your passport regardless of the expected duration of employment in your letter of offer.

      The issuance date of the work permit is the date upon which the University of Calgary may lawfully employ you; i.e., if the effective date stated in your letter of offer is July 1, but the work permit is not issued until August 1, the start date of your appointment will be August 1.

      After Arrival

      Every person who works in insurable or pensionable employment in Canada is required to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

      By law, you must provide your SIN to authorized federal agencies, such as Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), your employer, and anyone else who prepares income tax information on your behalf.

       To apply for a Social Insurance Number, you must complete an application form and provide an original primary document that proves your identity (i.e. passport) and status in Canada (i.e. work permit).  ESDC encourages you to apply for your SIN in person at an ESDC/ Service Canada office. This process is faster and more convenient, as it does not require you to part with your valuable identity documents. 

      To search for the nearest Service Canada office, visit the Service Canada website.

       More information related to the Social Insurance Number Program is available on ESDC's website.

      You will be required to provide evidence of your work permit to Human Resources via email to prior to commencing your duties and responsibilities and before any salary or benefit coverages can be processed. 

      You will be receiving a system-generated email from that will include a secure link to provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN). It is advisable to monitor your Junk email folder, and if possible, add to your safe list. You will need to input the SIN number, Expiry Date, and upload a copy of the " Confirmation of SIN" letter from Service Canada.

      Work permits are normally issued for the duration of your job offer and may be extended as necessary if your job is extended. For detailed information on extending a work permit, refer to the IRCC website.

      You have two options available when submitting an application to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada as a worker:

      • submit your application electronically
      • download the application form, complete and mail your application to the CPC in Edmonton, AB.

      Prior to initiating a work permit extension application, please note the following:

      1. To facilitate the extension to your work permit, normally the University of Calgary is required to apply for and obtain a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC/Service Canada. In order to obtain a LMIA, the position needs to be re-advertised nationally for at least 4 weeks and we need to provide evidence of a new selection process. The only exceptions to the LMIA requirement are as follows:

      • International Free Trade Agreements: if you have obtained an initial work permit based on a NAFTA/ USMCA exemption, you will be able to extend your work permit based on the same exemption in increments of 3 years. You will be required to submit a copy of your current letter of offer or a letter from Human Resources reconfirming your continued appointment at the University of Calgary.
      • Express Entry: : if you have submitted an electronic application for permanent residence (eAPR) through the Express Entry application system, you may submit an application for bridging open work permit (BOWP) to CPC-Edmonton four (4) months prior to the expiry date of your current work permit. The Acknowledgment of receipt - Application for permanent residence letter, which is automatically issued to applicants in their MyCIC account, must be submitted along with the BOWP application to support the above claim. However, before a BOWP can be issued, your eAPR must first pass the completeness check in accordance with section 10 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Officers at CPC-Edmonton will check our processing system to ensure that the eAPR is complete before issuing a BOWP.
      • Provincial Nominees: If you have initiated a permanent residence application through the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) and have already been approved as a Provincial Nominee, your Certificate of Nomination will facilitate your work permit extension. You are required to include a copy of the approval letter from the AINP with your work permit extension application package.

      2. Immigration Services will inform your Department/Faculty of the requirement for a new LMIA and a new advertising/selection process, if applicable.

      3. Once the documentation is complete, Immigration Services reviews and submits the LMIA application to ESDC/Service Canada.

      4. If the application is successful, ESDC/Service Canada will issue a positive LMIA. Immigration Services will send you the LMIA confirmation via e-mail.

      5. Upon receipt of the LMIA, if applicable, you will be required to initiate the work permit extension process by submitting all required document to IRCC. You must pay the processing fee on-line (currently $155) and include a receipt with your submission.

      Your work permit extension application must be submitted to IRCC prior to the expiry date of your current work permit. IRCC processing times vary throughout the year, therefore you are strongly encouraged to apply for an extension of your work permit at least 60 days before the expiry date to avoid possible interruptions in your employment status, including termination of pay and benefits, until your work permit is further validated. For information on processing times, you are advised to check the IRCC website.

      6. If you also require a temporary resident visa (TRV), be aware that should you leave Canada, you will need to apply for another TRV in order to re-enter. Since you are currently residing in Canada and have temporary foreign worker status, you must submit your application for a new temporary resident visa to the Case Processing Office in Ottawa (CPP-O), or visa office that serves your country of nationality. 

      If applicable, a request to renew an accompanying spouse and/or dependent child’s work permit or study permit or temporary resident status is made at the same time and on the same application form as your own.

      Once your application is approved by the CPC-Edmonton, your new work permit will be mailed to you.  Upon receipt, you must immediately apply to ESDC/Service Canada to update you SIN to ensure that the expiry date corresponds with the expiry date of your new work permit.  You can find the closest ESDC office using the Service Canada website.

      More information related to the Social Insurance Number Program is available on ESDC website. In order to avoid any possible interruptions to your employment status, you are required to provide a copy of your new work permit via email to: Provide the new expiry date for your SIN and attach a copy of your "Confirmation of SIN" letter from Service Canada by logging into the My UCalgary portal and navigating to: All about me > My Info > Social Insurance Number

      7. To ensure continuation of your benefit coverages beyond the expiry date of your previous work permit, please ensure that you send copies of your renewed work permit (and your family members’ renewed immigration documents) to Alberta Health and Wellness. The mailing address is: Alberta Health and Wellness, P.O. Box 1360 Stn Main, Edmonton, AB T5J 2N3.

      If your application for renewal of the work permit is made before the expiry date of the existing work permit and your work permit expires before a decision is made by CIC, you may continue to work under the terms and conditions of the original work permit as per the implied status provisions found in R186 (u). To show that you applied before the expiry date of your original work permit, you are required to provide either an electronic confirmation of your extension application or a courier or mail receipt, along with a copy of the fees receipt, if you choose to mail your application to the CPC in Edmonton, AB. You may provide copies of these documents via email to

      Implied status applies only as long as you remain in Canada. Should you leave Canada while under implied status, the University must cease processing your salary payments.

      If you leave Canada while under implied status, you may be authorized to:

      • Re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision by the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Edmonton, AB on your application to extend your work permit. Please note that you will not be permitted to work until you receive your new work permit. You must satisfy the officer at the port of entry that you have sufficient means of support. This applies only if you:
        • are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt
        • held a valid multiple entry visa before leaving Canada
        • travelled only to the United States and/or St. Pierre and Miquelon
      • Re-enter Canada as a worker, if the officer at the port of entry determines that your application to extend your work permit was approved by the CPC while you were outside Canada
      • Apply for a new work permit at the port of entry provided you have the right to do so under the Regulations.

      A designation by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) of “implied status” does not qualify you to maintain your Alberta Health Care coverage. A new work permit document is required for your coverage to continue.

      While waiting in Alberta for a new work permit, you may be eligible for a one time only temporary extension of health care insurance coverage. You are required to contact Alberta Health before the expiration date of your original work permit.

      If you fail to apply to renew your work permit prior to its expiry date, you may seek restoration within 90 days of losing your temporary resident status as a worker. You must submit an application to apply for restoration of temporary resident status and for a new work permit to the Case Processing Center (CPC) in Vegreville, Alberta. In your application you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that resulted in losing your status. You must pay the work permit fee as well as the restoration fee when applying. An officer will evaluate your request for restoration of status and if approved will process your application for a work permit.

      It is important to note, that should you be without status in Canada, the university must cease your employment until your status is restored and you obtain a valid work permit.

      If an application for reinstatement is not made within 90 days of the breach of status, a new work permit application must be submitted from outside Canada to a visa office. Immigration Regulations prohibit issuance of a work permit to such a person for a period of six months from the date of contravention.

      International MAPS and AUPE employees who hold a permanent full-time positions are encouraged to initiate an application for permanent residence. For detailed information about the permanent residence application process and eligibility requirements for the various immigration programs, please refer to the Immigration and Citizenship website.

      Most of our international employees choose to apply for permanent residence under the Express Entry system. Express Entry is used to manage applications for permanent residence under these federal economic immigration programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class.

      Under this system, potential candidates will complete an online profile and provide information about their:

      • skills
      • work experience
      • language ability
      • education
      • other details that will help them with the assessment.

      Those who meet the criteria of one of the federal immigration programs listed above will be accepted into a pool of candidates.

      Candidates will be ranked against others in the pool using a point-based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System. Points are awarded using the information in their profile. Candidates with the highest scores in the pool will be issued an Invitation to Apply.

      If someone is invited to apply, they will have 60 days to submit an online application for permanent residence.

      Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will process the majority of complete applications (meaning those with all the necessary supporting documents) in six months or less.

      You will need to decide which immigration program will work best for you and your family.

      Human Resources – Immigration Services will only provide support with your permanent residence application if you hold a permanent full-time position at the University of Calgary.

      If you hold a work permit based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption, please find information in this link:

      International Mobility Program – Get to know your rights while working in Canada -

      Programme de mobilité internationale – Apprenez quels sont vos droits en tant que travailleur au Canada

      If you hold a work permit based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), please find information in this link:  Temporary foreign workers: Your rights are protected -

      Travailleurs étrangers temporaires – Vos droits sont protégés

      You can also find up-to-date information in the links below: 

      You can contact Campus Security at any time to report an incident (accident, theft, injury, etc.) or in the event that you require immediate emergency assistance: 403-220-5333. Campus Security works closely with the university community, Calgary Police Service, and other agencies to maintain the University of Calgary as a safe place to live, work, and study. In the event of a medical or security emergency, please call 911.