Responding to a Critical Incident
Get Help and Assess Effects
• Call 911 for life-threatening situations. Call Campus Security 24/7 at 403.220.5333 for all other
• Campus Security will assist in identifying and addressing immediate safety concerns at the scene of
• Inform your leader that a critical incident has occurred and discuss immediate operational concerns
• Recognize the potential mental health impact on individuals (staff, faculty and/or students) who were
directly or indirectly involved — consider the possible effects for each individual.
Communicate, Connect, and Identify Resources
• Check in with affected individuals before they leave work for the day. Listen and provide an
opportunity for informal and voluntary discussion while respecting the confidentiality and privacy of
• Inform Staff Wellness about the situation as soon as possible and provide details about who could
be impacted in relation to staffing group, faculty and/or student involvement. This will assist in
allocating appropriate resources.
• In consultation with Staff Wellness, discuss potential impacts and the possible need for onsite or
individual support services. Upon consultation with the Staff Wellness mental health consultant, you
will be directed to appropriate onsite or offsite resources to share with individuals.
• Provide detailed information about the available and recommended resources listed in this
document. Encourage individuals to access supports as soon after the incident as possible —
supports may also include peers, family members and/or personal coping strategies. The individual
can choose to access resources as they feel appropriate.
• Every critical incident is unique and will present varying challenges and reactions.
Staff Wellness and the Student Wellness Centre are available for consultation and follow-up support
for staff, faculty and students.
• Talk openly and regularly with your team in the days and weeks following the incident and offer help
to connect them with resources as needed.
• Reflect on your own mental health and access support and/or resources available as needed.
Campus Security (24/7)
Contact your area’s HR Partner.
Sexual Violence Support Advocate
AUPE Local 52
The Faculty Association of the University of Calgary
Student Wellness Services