The University of Calgary is committed to fostering a safe working, learning and research environment. Despite our best efforts, injuries and accidents can happen. When they do, it is important to minimize the impact of these injuries by focusing on timely medical care and returning faculty and staff back to safe and meaningful work as soon as medically suitable.
Staff Wellness works closely with all stakeholders to implement early and safe return to work plans for faculty and staff who have experienced a work-related injury or illness. Plans may include modified or alternate duties, which have been shown to help reduce injury recovery time and improve medical outcomes.
- Injuries that occur in the course of your employment must be reported to your reports-to manager immediately. This includes any accidents on sidewalks, parking lots, hallways, stairs, etc.
- Within 24 hours of the accident or incident, your reports-to manager will need to submit the Online Accident Reporting System (OARS) report.
- If you require medical treatment beyond first aid or miss work after the date of accident, please complete the online WCB Workers’ Report.
If you require medical assessment by a physician, you have two options:
- Staff Wellness can arrange a same day appointment for you at an Occupational Injury Services (OIS) clinic. Call 403.220.2918 to speak to an Ability Management Advisor.
- See a physician (family physician, walk-in clinic, or emergency) to advise on your work injury and bring the Functional Abilities Form for completion.
Plan Your Return to Work
- If you attended an OIS appointment (option one), the clinic will fax the restrictions/limitations directly to Staff Wellness, who will update your reports-to manager.
- If you saw a physician on your own (option two), return a copy of the Functional Abilities Form to your reports to manager and Staff Wellness (fax: 403.282.8603) at the start of your next scheduled shift.
- You and your reports-to manager are expected to work together to coordinate a safe return to workplace, which may include modified or alternate duties based on the restrictions you may have.