May 2022 surveys
Two surveys were launched to explore the possibilities for hybrid work — one survey directed at employees and the other given to leaders.
We received responses from approximately 2,700 people:
- 443 leaders
- 2,226 employees
- What impact does hybrid work have on:
- work-life balance
- mental health
- physical health
- How many days per week can employees work remote while remaining effective in their roles?
- Are designated days on campus important?
- How important is hybrid work to your employment at UCalgary?
Number of days in the office
Leaders were asked: what would be the ideal number of days per week for your direct reports to work at their campus location (onsite)?
- 27% said 2 days in office
- 31% said 3 days in office
Employees were asked: with the continued flexibility of hybrid working, how many days per week would be optimal to work remote while meeting job expectations and producing high quality deliverables and/or services?
- 23% said 2 days remote work (3 days in office)
- 29% said 3 days remote work (2 days in office)
Ability to succeed while working remotely
Leaders were asked: With the continued flexibility of hybrid working, how many of your direct reports would be able to work remotely while meeting job expectations and producing high quality deliverables and/or services?
- 63% of leaders stated over 75% of their direct reports could effectively work remotely
Employees were asked: How important is having a hybrid work arrangement to your retention at the University of Calgary?
Employees were asked: How important is the ability to participate in a hybrid work arrangement to your employment satisfaction?
Benefits to working in person
Leaders were asked: What advantages do you foresee in having your direct reports working together on campus? (select all that apply)
- 26% said so they could connect with team members to form and/or enhance a positive and supportive team culture
- 22% said the ability to participate in team events (e.g. celebrations, team lunches)
- 20% said for face-to-face meetings
Remote work opportunities — impact on employees
Employees were asked: Indicate the impact of remote work on you during the pandemic (select all that apply)
- Productivity – 85% somewhat or extremely positive
- Work-life balance – 86% somewhat or extremely positive
- Mental health – 76% somewhat or extremely positive
- Physical health – 69% somewhat or extremely positive