Onboarding Postdoctoral Scholars
Checklist for Supervisors
This checklist is a valuable tool designed to assist the hiring manager with the clear and efficient onboarding of Postdoctoral Scholars. This process is also supported by the onboarding coordinator in your department.
Before Their First Day
Ensure new hires complete the vaccine attestation as soon as possible as a requirement of their employment.
*****NEW REMOTE ONBOARDING INFORMATION*****
Send a welcome email to the new hire
Refer to the welcome email template to send a welcome email to your new hire one day after you receive the new hire notification email confirming the hire has been processed.
***Remote Onboarding for New Postdoc***
Please include the following information in the welcome email:
- Will you require a computer and accessories to work from home or do you have a personal computer and accessories that you could use?
- Please see instructions on how to access/set up accounts on Office365, Zoom and Microsoft Teams (or other online video chat platform that is used by the team).
- Provide instructions on their first few days (or first few weeks) in terms of start time, remote meetings to welcome them and/or for training purposes.
Send an introductory email to staff in your department
Refer to the introductory email template to send an introductory email to your faculty and/or department after the hire has been confirmed.
Assign an onboarding buddy
The buddy system is designed to support and provide new hires with guidance and information to assist their transition into their new role.
Arrange for IT needs
If your new hire requires any IT hardware, software, or access, you should submit an IT onboarding form as early as soon as possible to ensure IT has adequate time to provide the needed items prior to their first day. Ensure your new hire is familiar with UCalgary’s Acceptable use of Electronic Resources and Information policy, and has signed the Oath of Confidentiality if applicable.
***Remote Onboarding for New Staff***
If the new employee need a work computer and/or accessories, please complete the IT Onboarding and Computer Request Form as per standard operational process and provide the best contact information and be prepared for IT to contact you and your new hire to coordinate the remote onboarding equipment and setup for logistics on how to get item(s) to the employee.
For more info, see “Resources for working remotely”.
Please note there will not be any on site installs being done on campus at this time however if there is an existing phone it can be prepared for the new person including voicemail. For further assistance please contact IT and someone from our IT Voice Operations will contact you.
- Add Postdoc as a delegate in PeopleSoft and submit the Team Authorization Form
- Complete IRISS registarion (if applicable)
- For help with transferring existing grants or contracts, contact Research Services
Connect with new hire
- Clarify expectations and how their role aligns with the goals of the research project.
- Ensure they have connected with the Postdoc Office and other key contacts
- Develop a training schedule for Research and Training
- Ensure new Postdoc has completed the mandatory online health and safety courses within their first week of employment in ELM (Enterprise Learning Management)
- See Environment, Health and Safety website for Responsibilities and Orientation & Training Checklists for managers
If new hires have health hazards identified on their hazard assessment and control form (HACF) they must book an Occupational Health Assessment with Staff Wellness.
On and After Their First Day
Welcome new Postdoc and make introductions
Review key university policies
Sign the employee confidentiality agreement
Print and sign the employee confidentiality agreement yourself and have the new hire sign as well.