Frequently Asked Questions

Living Here

If you find that your room/apartment is cold, turn your thermostat down to 0 degrees Celsius – wait a few seconds then turn it back up between 20 degree Celsius and 25 degree Celsius. Thermostats will turn off if set to 30 degree Celsius. Make sure that all windows in your apartment are closed firmly. To help heat up your bedroom, leave your door open to help the heat circulate throughout the apartment.

Kananaskis and Rundle Hall thermostats: Your thermostat will always display the temperature in the room. There is no cooling system in the building. If you turn the heat in your room to below the temperature on the thermostat, the radiator will close. If you have turned your radiator down below the temperature of the room and the radiator is producing heat, put in a maintenance request and our team will come to address.

No. It is the responsibility of each resident to insure their own personal belongings. It is required that each resident purchase tenant insurance from an insurance agency. Tenant insurance at most agencies is $60 - $150 for the year.

Students who require a new mattress for medical reasons can contact the Residence Services office to arrange to have their mattress replaced, or to have permission to bring in their own medical mattress.

Broken beds can be replaced by completing an online maintenance request.

Students that have applied for and signed their Residence Agreement for the academic term do not need to vacate residence during the Winter Break. Students that have applied for and signed their Residence Agreements for either the Academic or Winter term, do not need to leave during Reading Week.

Visit our Residence Payment fee page


Maxient is a student conduct case management software used by Residence Services at the University of Calgary. If you receive an email from or from a sender that has "(via Maxient)" next to their name, it means that correspondence was sent to you through this secure third-party system. If you have any questions about any correspondence from our office, or questions about Maxient, you can email, or call the Coordinator, Residence Conduct at 403-210-6446.

As outlined in the Residence Guidelines, Procedures, and Community Standards, residents may bring an advisor to the meeting with them if they choose. The advisor’s role would be to provide you with support, but they are not a participant in the meeting. An advisor could be a peer, the Student Ombuds, or Students’ Union or Graduate Students Association representative. Please note, CAs and members of the Residence Student Leadership Council may not serve as an advisor in these meetings.