Become a Community Ambassador
What is a Community Ambassador?
The Community Ambassador (CA) role is a live-in position. CAs influence the development of their residence communities by providing continuous support by acting as a positive resource for residence students. CAs compose most of the Residence Education Team (RET) and work closely with a team of 8-14 CAs, who are supervised by a Residence Life Coordinator (RLC). The RET works to foster and promote inclusive living environments for a diverse demographic of students that directly support academic and personal development within residence communities, and the CA role is an integral part of achieving this goal.
Why Should I be a Community Ambassador?
Work where you live
Design, develop, and implement events for your students
Interact with peers from across the country and around the world
Gain experience working independently and within a team setting
Gain experience valued by potential employers
Develop life skills like active listening, conflict resolution, crisis response, and more
"Being a CA means having a unique place to belong at the university. It is all about supporting students and your peers and getting support in return. This position has given me a community and lifelong friendships."
Senior Community Ambassador – Glacier Hall
To Qualify You Must:
- be a registered full-time student (undergraduate or graduate)
- have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- be highly committed to student development
- be accountable and responsible.
What Will Be Expected of Me as a Community Ambassador?
Reporting to the Residence Life Coordinator, CAs perform a variety of tasks. CAs are expected to establish connections with the residents in their communities, and be reasonably available to them as needed throughout the term. CAs also perform regularly scheduled shifts that may fall on weekends and/or holidays. The CA job is quite unique. Some of the core responsibilities of the CA role include:
- attending a mandatory two weeks of training session (including weekends) in August, starting as early as August 15, 2022
- assist the greater RET during busy times of the year (move-in, move-out, and BSD)
- act as a positive role model on campus, in residence and on social media
- abide by and adhere to all University of Calgary and Residence Services Policies
- complete all on-call shifts in residence on a rotational basis
- address violations of any university or residence policies
- plan and implement educational and social programs that encourage the development of students
- provide information to students concerning university and residence resources and policies
- be an active listener for students experiencing academic and/or personal difficulties
- foster and promote an inclusive community within assigned area as well as the greater residence community
- respond to emergencies and maintenance problems
- other duties as assigned by their Residence Life Coordinator, Senior Community Ambassador, and/or the Manager, Residence Life.
Question and Answer Series
Join us at our Information Sessions to speak with current Community Ambassadors about the position and get any clarification about the application form. Please note that information about Academic and Wellness CA positions will not be addressed during the December session.
These Information Sessions will be hosted online and onsite. All online sessions can be accessed using this Zoom information:
Meeting ID: 910 9526 0979
- January 12, 2021
- 8:00 pm
- January 13, 2021
- 8:00 pm
The deadline to submit a completed application is January 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm. Applications received after this time will not be considered. If selected to move forward, you will then participate in a group interview process. Following the group process, successful applicants will be invited to an individual interview with two members of the Residence Education Team. All applicants will be contacted about the status of their application by January 24, 2022
New and Returning applicants can use the same form to complete the application
Your completed application must be submitted by January 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm