Tenant Insurance

University Supplied Insurance

All residents will receive tenant insurance for the 2022/2023 school year.


Residents will be covered for $10,000 of content insurance and $1,000,000 in liability insurance through Marsh.

Visit the link below for a complete description of the coverage provided under the program including all terms and conditions, policy provisions, limitations and exclusions

Residents that already have insurance coverage or would like to purchase insurance with extra coverage, may request to cancel the insurance provided by UCalgary. They must fill out the opt out form and provide proof of their insurance policy.

  • Fall term: submit by September 15
  • Winter term: submit by January 15

Residence Services will receive a list of residents that have opted out of the insurance program on September 16. We will then reach out for proof of insurance and residents will have until Sept 25 to get back with proof of insurance. Those that do not show proof will be put back on the insurance program.

An insurance fee will be added to the resident account. This fee will not pro-rated

  • Residents who move in for the fall and academic terms will be charged a one time fee of $75
  • Residents who move in for the winter term will be charged a one time fee of $40

If there is loss or damage to personal items or if the resident causes damage to a residence building/room, it is the responsibility of the resident to report any claims.

In the event of an occurrence likely to result in a claim, immediate notice should be provided by the resident to the program administrator (Marsh Canada) or the claims adjuster (IPG):

  • If you have not received you policy number by email and need to make a claim, please use #UOC00001
  • Marsh Canada Limited
    • Toll-Free Number: 1-800-665-0765
  • International Programs Group (IPG)

The adjuster should be contacted within 24-48 hours.

Can I see the full underwriting of the insurance policy?

  • You can find the full underwriting of the insurance policy here.

What happens if I transfer rooms?

  • Your insurance policy will be moved with you.

If I am staying through in residence, do I have to purchase each term?

  • The insurance policy covers all students from August 15 to August 15 the following year.


Alternative Insurance Options

Residents that would like to purchase insurance that covers more than $10,000 in content and $1,000,000 in liability may do so

Residents can submit an insurance inquiry form through InsureLine Complete which is one of our vendors. You can also email or call 403.830.9835 for questions or information about insurance.

If residents would like to use their own or different insurance company they may do so. Make sure to refer to the building information document, for building details your insurance company needs.