Insurance Coverage

Areas of Coverage

The following are summaries of the University of Calgary's insurance program and do not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to these policies. For further information about these policies, please email Risk Management and Insurance at

The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

What is Covered

  • Losses related to sudden and accidental breakdown of boilers, pressure vessels, piping, refrigerating, and air conditioning systems
  • Engines, compressors, pumps, fans, and blowers
  • Rotating electrical machines, transformers, and induction feeder regulators
  • Non-rotating electrical apparatus
  • Air conditioning units, 50 H.P. or less
  • Wheels and shafting
  • Compressing and refrigerating units (15 H.P. or less)
  • Miscellaneous machines, gear wheels, and enclosed gear sets
  • Deep well pump units
  • Turbines
  • Internal combustion type gas turbines



What is Not Covered

  • Losses caused by war, invasion, insurrection, revolution, military, etc.
  • Losses caused by a nuclear reaction
  • Increases in losses as a result of damage, contamination, or pollution by a substance declared, by a government agency, to fall into one of these three categories
  • Damage caused by fire, flood, or earthquake
  • Damage to sewers, underground piping, or sprinkler systems


Locations owned or leased by the university throughout Canada, where the schedule of the equipment has been given to the insurers (through the department of Risk Management and Insurance).


The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

The university purchases various types of bonds in order to either provide or receive services.  These are required by Revenue Canada Customs and Excise, which allow imported goods to be released before duties are paid.

Bond One Immediate release of goods from customs and acceptance of uncertified cheques by customs

This bond allows the university to receive the immediate release of goods from Revenue Canada, Department of Customs Excise and it also allows the university to pay customs with uncertified cheques.  

Bond Two Temporary importation of display goods

This bond allows the university to temporarily import display goods for conventions, displays, or exhibitions. 

Bond Three Temporary importation of articles for special use

This bond allows the university to temporarily import articles into the Province of Alberta for special use.

Bond Four License to be a chemical still operator

This bond allows the university to use chemical stills wherever they are required for teaching and research purposes.

For complete access to construction insurance, email Risk Management and Insurance at

Step One - Applying for Grants/Funding

It is mandatory for investigators at the University of Calgary who are pursuing or plan to pursue investigator-initiated clinical research that includes the enrollment of subjects outside of Canada to obtain clinical trial insurance. As such, investigators are required to ensure that they have budgeted for such cost during the funding process.

If this international trial is only to compare two existing standards of care that are already in effect in that country, contact Risk Management and Insurance at or 403.220.4623 for a discussion prior to putting the insurance budget into the project request.

If the trial in one particular country will include more than twenty-five participants, contact Risk Management and Insurance.

Step Two - Funding Granted, Apply for Insurance

Once funding has been secured, the investigator is responsible to complete the Placement of Clinical Trial Insurance Request form and send it to Risk Management and Insurance at to initiate a formal insurance quote. The following documents must be attached to the request: protocol, informed consent, and draft agreements, if any.

Once the full information is received by Risk Management and Insurance, it will be sent to the university's insurance broker to market it for a formal insurance quote.

Some countries require admitted insurance which must be purchased in that particular country. Others may allow for a blanket policy type of insurance. The more countries that are involved in the study, the longer the time required to negotiate that insurance in each participating country. It is recommended that you complete the request form as soon as funding has been obtained and the protocol and informed consent have been approved through the ethics committee. Premium costs will also vary between countries and the length of time for the trial.

Step Three - Once the Request has Been Received

Risk Management and Insurance will send Legal Services approval to negotiate agreements with the research sites indicated using the Clinical Trial Approval Form.

Step Four - Insurance Negotiations

During the quotation process, the insurers will generally have a variety of questions related to the research and may also have other forms that must be completed. Once the formal quote is obtained from the insurer, it will be sent to the principal investigator. If the principal investigator agrees to the quote, they will be required to supply Risk Management and Insurance with the financial account number for insurance costs. Costs will be done on an annual basis during the term of the trial and for two years following, to ensure that any claims that may result are covered.

Once negotiations are completed and the policy is bound, Risk Management and Insurance will complete and send the approval form to Legal Services and the Calgary Centre for Clinical Research (CCCR).

The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

What is Covered

Theft of monies and securities by employees or others. All losses must be reported to Risk Management and Insurance and the insurers within sixty days from discovery, in order to be insured.


$50,000 per incident which will be charged to the department.

Who is Covered

All university departments.

What is Not Covered

  • Losses not reported to Risk Management and Insurance (and the insurers) within sixty days of discovery are excluded. Ensure that Risk Management is informed immediately if this type of loss is suspected
  • Student or employee groups or clubs having funds in bank accounts outside of the university, or these groups having funds physically held in areas on campus. These funds are not considered university funds
  • Loss resulting directly or indirectly from trading
  • Losses due to war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, or revolution, etc.
  • Accounting or arithmatical errors and omissions.
  • Coin operated machines
  • Losses while funds are in custody of any armoured motor vehicle company
  • Expenses incurred in establishing the existence or the amount of the loss
  • Student club losses.

Related Financial Policies and Procedures

Cash Management and Billing Policy

Cash Management Procedures (specifically note 3.1.4 which reference when a safe is required and 3.5.8 which references deposit frequency of funds).

Thefts and Robberies

If you suspect a theft of university funds or property has occurred, contact your supervisor and ask them to contact Campus Security at 403.220.5333. In the event of a robbery (i.e. act or threat of violence/use of weapon) contact 911 immediately and then contact Campus Security at 403.220.5333.

Robbery Prevention Courses

Contact Campus Security at 403.220.5061 for the next available date.

All accidental/unintended environmental discharges, dispersal, release, or escape of pollutants must be reported immediately to Campus Security at 403.220.5333.

All environmental releases which cause a release into the air, ground, or water must be reported to Risk Management and Insurance at or 403.220.5719 as soon as detected in order to be covered by the insurance program. 

The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

Equipment on Lease or Loan to the University

What is Covered 

Equipment owned by an outside agency/company for which the university has agreed to assume responsibility through an agreement or contract. 

All leases or loans of third party equipment to the University of Calgary must be done through a written agreement which must:

  • indicate that the university is legally responsible to insure the equipment while it is in the university's possession
  • indicate whether the university or the external company/organization is insuring it in-transit to the university and then back to the loaner
  • contain a list all of the items being leased/loaned, including their values.

Supply Chain Management is the department with delegated authority for reviewing and signing these agreements. Once the agreement has been signed by Supply Chain Management the insurance is automatic.

If the equipment has a value of over $100,000 it must be declared by completing an Equipment on Loan form with a copy of the contract sent to so that it may be declared to the insurer.

This does not apply to leases/loans of fine arts. They are handled separately.

What is Not Covered 

  • regular wear & tear
  • mechanical or electrical breakdown 
  • dryness of atmosphere, mould, change of temperature, shrinkage
  • leakage of contents
  • rust, corrosion


Canada and the United States


If the equipment on lease/loan to the university sustains damage, please contact The department will be responsible to pay a deductible.

University Owned Equipment on Lease or Loan to Others  

This agreement is only for use when loaning or leasing university-owned equipment to external companies or organizations. This agreement requires external organizations and companies to provide insurance for UCalgary equipment while it is in their possession. This does not apply to Active Living and Com Media equipment loans to individuals.

The care, custody, and control of university equipment is the responsibility of the department head who must approve the lease/loan of the equipment prior to the agreement being signed. 

If a department is loaning equipment to university employees or students to take off campus for university-related work, the department is responsible to maintain records that indicate whom the equipment was loaned to in order to ensure proper capital equipment records.

Once you have completed the agreement, send it to Tammy Faas in Legal Services for final review and signature.







The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

All costs to the University of Calgary which might arise from wrongful acts. Members of Board of Governors are also indemnified by the Province (see Post Secondary Learning Act).

Errors and Omissions Liability: liability arising from "wrongful acts," defined as actual or alleged errors, misstatements, misleading statements, acts, omissions, neglect or breach of duty

Professional Liability: liability arising from an error or omission in the delivery of (or failure to deliver) professional service

Who Is Covered 

  • Officers, directors, governors, employees, or volunteers while acting on behalf of the university
  • Officers or directors of entities other than the university if they are acting in that capacity at the direction of the university
  • Persons acting as trustees of any pension fund of the university
  • Any student while engaged in activities related to their studies and the discipline in which they are registered, whether they are on or off campus

What Is Not Covered 

  • Fines or penalties imposed by law
  • Anything where the insured profits or gains an advantage to which they are not legally entitled
  • Claims brought about by or contributed to by the dishonesty of the insured
  • Willful violation of statute law
  • Claims arising out of bodily injury, personal injury or property damage
  • Breach of contract, including employment contracts
  • Liability arising from environmental damage
  • Intellectual property
  • Employment related practices including claims for refusal to employ or termination of employment
  • Tuition, fees, or rents

Additional Insured 

  • The Calgary Olympic Development Association (CODA)
  • Arctic Institute of North America (AINA)
  • University Technologies International Inc.




The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

What is Covered

All fine arts must be reported to Risk Management and Insurance in order to be covered under this insurance program.  

Reporting Purchased/Donated Fine Arts 

Complete the Fine Arts Owned - Additions spreadsheet and send to

Reporting Fine Arts on Loan to Us - from third parties

Complete the Fine Arts On Loan - Additions spreadsheet and return to

University-owned Fine Arts

Includes paintings, rare books, coins, manuscripts, works of art, collectibles, frames, crates, cases, and packing materials. Fine arts are covered against physical loss or property damage for the amount that is declared. They are also insured in-transit to and from the university. Values can be updated at anytime the fine arts are re-evaluated.

Fine Arts on Loan or Consignment to the University

Covered against physical loss or property damage while they are on university property for the amount that is declared in the loan agreement. They may also be covered in-transit to and/or from the university, depending on the loan arrangements in the contract.

Coverage Conditions

In-transit Coverage

Coverage for fine arts being transported by an approved transportation company within Canada or the U.S. is provided under this policy. However, the following conditions apply: 

  • Packing: all fine arts must be packed and unpacked by packers who are trained and skilled in utilizing procedures and materials necessary to protect that particular type of fine art. Failure to comply with this condition automatically suspends coverage.
  • Records: the inventories must be detailed and itemized.

Fine arts may occasionally be transported by university employees or other designated persons. However, the items must be appropriately packed by an experienced fine arts person and the vehicle transporting the items must never be left unattended. Special arrangements for fine arts in-transit coverage must be made with Risk Management and Insurance if items are to be moved by an employee or other designated person.

Protective Safeguards

All safeguards must be maintained in working condition.


There is no deductible for this policy.

Who is Covered

All university departments, the Canadian Music Centre, and the Arctic Institute (AINA) for declared values

What is Not Covered

  • Fine arts that are not declared to Risk Management and Insurance.
  • Wear and tear
  • Gradual deterioration
  • Mold
  • Insects, vermin or rodents
  • Damage sustained or resulting from any repair, restoration, or retouching
  • War, military, and governmental action
  • Nuclear hazards


World wide there is a maximum of $10 million each and every loss while at any location off campus.

The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

All costs to the University of Calgary which it is legally obligated to pay as damages, which may arise as a result of bodily or personal injury or property damage. Insurance does not cover fines and/or penalties imposed by government legislation.

What is Covered

Costs which the University of Calgary or its employees might become legally obligated to pay as damages, which arise from an incident where they were acting on behalf of the university, for any of the following reasons:

  • bodily injury
  • personal injury
  • property damage
  • property damage to leased property
  • professional and malpractice liability.

Costs which the University of Calgary or its students might become legally obligated to pay as damages, which arise from an incident that takes place during a credit course or student practicum and is related to the furtherance of the students education or training in their discipline.  

This insurance does not cover fines and penalties imposed by government legislation.

Who is Covered

  • Officers, directors, governors, employees or volunteers while acting on behalf of the university.
  • Any person, government, organization, trustee, or estate where the university is obligated by written contract to provide insurance, but only with respect to operations by or on behalf of the university
  • Any interest owned, controlled, or operated by the university
  • Students while engaged in performing a duty or taking part in any activity which is considered part of regular studies or practica connected with the university
  • Students taking training in the health sciences such as physicians, surgeons, nurses, technicians, pharmacists, interns, fellows, and residents while they are registered as a student at the university and acting in the discipline in which they are registered, whether on or off campus.

What is Not Covered

  • Workers' Compensation
  • Use or operation of licensed automobiles and trailers (see Owned Automobile ProgramRental Vehicle and Other Forms of Transportation Insurance Program)
  • Use or operation of owned and non-owned aircraft
  • Owned - watercraft liability for watercraft over 1000 tons gross registry
  • Property loss (see Property Insurance dropdown section below)
  • War
  • Environmental impairment. However, sudden and accidental environmental spills that are detected and reported with 120 hours and is an unexpected and unintentional discharge, it may be covered
  • Products or work
  • Medical malpractice where the person was influenced by hypnotics, intoxicants, or narcotics
  • Nuclear accidents
  • Employment-related practices including claims arising out of refusal to employ or termination of employment
  • Human rights complaints or proceedings

Additional Insured

  • The University of Calgary Alumni Association
  • University of Calgary Foundation
  • The Calgary Olympic Development Association (CODA)
  • Arctic Institute of North America (AINA)
  • University Technologies International Inc. 



Health Coverage and Benefits

All individuals travelling on university business are required to ensure that they have medical emergency assistance and medical evacuation coverage. 

Property Insurance for University Equipment

The university provides property insurance for UCalgary owned equipment temporarily taken to other locations outside of Canada for up to $1 million total value except for:

  • Shipping by sea or ocean. If you are shipping it by sea or ocean, ensure that you purchase the insurance offered by the shipping company.
  • Equipment loss/damage caused by war, invasion, hostilities, civil war, seizure by military or government authorities and is limited coverage if it is due to terrorism. If you are going to a country rated as "Extreme Risk" by the university, contact and, in the email, indicate the country and value of the equipment
  • The employee taking the equipment is required to ensure that they contact Supply Chain Management - Rob Lang at 403.220.7224 or to discuss the need for a Carnet Bond for the equipment. The Carnet simplifies the customs procedures for the temporary export/import of goods.

Workers Compensation

University of Calgary Academic, Support Staff, and Professional Staff are covered by Alberta Worker's Compensation while travelling outside of Alberta if all of the following four conditions are met: 

  • you must be a resident of Alberta or have your usual place of employment in Alberta
  • the work outside of Alberta must be a continuation of the employment by UCalgary
  • the nature of the employment is such that, in the normal course of employment, the work you perform is required to be performed both in and out of Alberta
  • the employment outside of Alberta must last less than 12 months.

For more information on Worker's Compensation coverage for out-of-Alberta work, see the WCB Out-of-province Fact Sheet.

Postdoctoral trainees that are paid directly by the University of Calgary are covered by WCB in the same manner as staff as per above.

Undergraduate and graduate students based in Alberta are considered workers of the Government of Alberta for the purposes of WCB coverage. See the WCB Student Coverage Fact Sheet.

General Liability Insurance

University of Calgary academic staff, support staff (AUPE), management and professional staff (MAPS), undergraduate and graduate students are covered by UCalgary's general liability insurance while engaged in university business.

Volunteers will be provided with general liability insurance if registered through the Volunteer Program and also registered through the International Travel Registration Program.

The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

What is Covered

  • Property that is either owned by the university or for which the university has agreed to accept responsibility through a written contract (i.e. leased/loaned equipment), while the property is in-transit to or from the university.
  • UCalgary owned equipment shipped within Canada and the U.S.
  • The coverage term begins when the university agrees to accept responsibility. For example, most purchases are done Carriage Paid To (CPT) which means that the university only accepts responsibility for them once they have arrived at our property. However, there may be cases where we are going to agree to accept responsibility from the point of origin, or until something that we are sending out is received by the other party.
  • Waterbourne shipments (not over the ocean): Inland water and coastal shipments are included in the university's policy. All other waterbourne shipments are excluded and departments are required to have them insured by the transportation service provider.
  • Airborne shipments are covered if by regularly scheduled passenger airlines or air freight carriers. 

What is Not Covered

  • Biological materials: ensure that you purchase in-transit insurance from the carrier if you are shipping this type of material.
  • Property over $1 million value: UCalgary owned equipment with a value of over $1 million is not covered for shipping outside of Canada and the U.S. If you are shipping equipment near this value, please contact Risk Management and Insurance.

  • Third party property: UCalgary in-transit insurance does not cover property that is not owned by the university

  • Waterbourne shipments over the ocean (marine)

  • Waterbourne shipments via the Panama Canal, to or from Alaska, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or Hawaii.

  • Airbourne shipments that are not shipped by regular passenger airlines or airfreight carriers.

  • Mysterious disappearance.

  • Damage resulting from inadequate packing or improper preparation for shipment or from insecure stowage when not stowed by the carrier.


The policy has a deductible of $25,000 per incident. The internal deductibles within the university are as follows and would be assessed to the department (or trust account where applicable).

Self-supporting departments: $1,000

Which include but are not limited to:

  • Bookstore
  • Facilities Management
  • Active Living
  • Conference and Events Management
  • Continuing Education
  • Parking and Transportation Services
  • Residence Services

All other departments: $1,000

Visiting Students From Outside of Canada - Undertaking Rotations with the University of Calgary

Visiting medical students who wish to undertake rotations through the University of Calgary are required to apply through the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (AFMC) portal and must be covered by $2 million dollars of medical malpractice insurance.

This insurance must be purchased through a University of Calgary insurance program and will cover the student's activities during their medical elective. The deductible is $1,000 and the cost of the insurance will be included in the application fee.  

The Faculty of Medicine will send the following information to Risk Management and Insurance ( to enable them to purchase the insurance for the student:

  • full name of student
  • country of domicile/passport
  • type of placement and location
  • beginning date of elective
  • end date of elective.

Once this information has been received by RMI, they will forward it to the insurance brokers to have the student added to the policy. The student cannot begin the elective until the Faculty of Medicine receives a certificate of insurance from RMI indicating that the student is covered.

Requests should be made a month in advance, wherever possible.

The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

What is Covered

  • Full replacement value of all property owned by the university or for which the university has a responsibility that is located in Canada and the U.S. Such property includes buildings, fixtures, furniture, and equipment, including computer hardware and software.
  • $1 million coverage for university equipment taken outside of Canada and the U.S.
  • Insures against all risks of physical loss or damage, including damage resulting from fire, vandalism, theft, and natural events such as floods, earthquakes, and storms.
  • Extra expenses which might be incurred to conduct or continue business following a loss, as well as costs associated with business interruption and loss of rent at designated locations.
  • Most university equipment which is taken off campus, provided it has been done with the department head's permission.  
  • $5 million service interruption insurance - covers the university for costs related to a third party supplier of gas, electricity, water, steam, etc. being unable to fulfill their contracts due to a fire etc. that affected their equipment.
  • Valuable papers


The policy has a deductible of $100,000 per incident. The internal deductibles within the university are as follows and would be assessed to the department (or trust account where applicable).

All departments except those listed below: $3,000

Self-supporting departments: $5,000

Which include the following:

  • Bookstore
  • Facilities Management
  • Active Living
  • Communications Media
  • Conference and Special Events
  • Continuing Education
  • Parking and Transportation Services
  • Residence Services

What is Not Covered


  • Personal property of individuals on campus including students, faculty, staff, contractors, and the public
  • Property of any individual or company renting, leasing, or using university space
  • Aircraft
  • Watercraft over forty feet in length
  • Non-research and husbandry animals
  • Land including water, standing timber, or growing crops
  • Biological materials
  • Boilers, piping and related machinery
  • Fine arts and rare books
  • Licensed motor vehicles
  • New buildings under construction
  • Currency, money, notes, securities, jewelry
  • Nuclear reactor installations, nuclear reactions, or radioactive contamination
  • Property insured under import/export ocean marine insurance
  • Underground mines and caverns 

Unattended and Unprotected Remote Sensing Equipment

  • Unprotected Remote Sensing Equipment is defined as any equipment that is deployed remotely, out in the open on the ground, under the ground, in bore holes or wells, in the water, in the atmosphere,or in space where it is not protected by some type of locked fence or compound. Equipment that is tethered to the ground in some manner, but is left out in the open, is considered unprotected.   

  • Unattended means that a person is not physically located with the equipment. If the equipment is only left for the time required for a lunch break or coffee break it is still considered attended during those times. If you leave the site for any longer than a lunch break or coffee break the equipment becomes "Unattended" and therefore not covered by insurance.


  • Loss resulting from dishonesty or infidelity of employees, or of others to whom property is loaned, rented, or entrusted
  • Damage resulting from dampness or dryness of atmosphere, mold or fungi, wet or dry rot, heating, evaporation, marring, scratching, rust or corrosion, contamination, change in colour or finish
  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown, latent defect, wear and tear, faulty workmanship
  • War or hostile warlike actions, insurrection, civil war, etc. 
  • Electrical disturbances to electrical appliances or devices due to electrical currents artificially generated
  • Loss or damage by moths, vermin, termites, rodents, or other insects
  • Normal settling, contraction, or expansion
  • Magnetic injury, disturbance, or erasure of electronic recordings
  • Mysterious disappearance or unexplained loss of inventory storage
  • Nuclear accidents
  • Loss or damage from pollutants.



Leased Spaces

The Department of Real Estate, Leasing and Land Holdings are the designated department responsible for negotiating and contracting all long term spaces leases on behalf of the University of Calgary. 

In order to insure a new long-term leased space to the university's property insurance policy, the Adding New Leased Spaces form must be completed and submitted to

The following summary of coverage does not include all of the conditions and exclusions that may apply to this policy.

Who is Covered

  • Active students who are under the age of 70, enrolled in a university approved paid or unpaid work placement or volunteer setting and are not covered for Workers’ Compensation.
  • Coverage is extended to include traveling directly to the site of such work placement or volunteer setting, along a normal or reasonable route, without delay or stopover
  • The loss or loss of use must occur within 365 days of the date of accident.

What is Covered

  • Elective programs
  • Internships
  • Work or Volunteer Placements arranged and approved by UCalgary
  • Co-op placements
  • Bridge Programs
  • Practicums
  • Students participating in field placements or site visits for the purposes of skill development
  • Worldwide Coverage (with the exception of home country) if placement is outside Canada.
  • Job Shadowing
  • Volunteering on international programs which was arranged and approved by UCalgary

What is Not Covered

  • International students are not covered in their home country of residence while on placement
  • Sickness or disease
  • Expenses incurred by persons not covered by a federal or provincial health plan
  • Expenses while in country of domicile if an international student


In the event of an injury, please contact Risk Management & Insurance who will provide the necessary forms and reporting requirements to the student.