The driver of a passenger van carrying 11 or more people (including the driver) that is university-owned, rented, or leased and is used for university business must meet the following requirements:
- registered on the UCalgary Driver Registration system
- 21 years of age or over
- possess a valid Alberta Class 4 driver's license (or equivalent license from other province or the U.S.)*
- meet all other driver requirements
- must be trained and experienced
- should be well rested
- limit drive time for each driver to eight hours per 24-hour period
- limit conversations with passengers
- avoid cell phone use during operation of the vehicle.
- National Safety Code requirements:
- must complete a driver's daily log book
- vehicle must be inspected by the operator on a daily basis prior to operation on a public roadway. The driver must complete a daily inspection report. Where no items are determined to be defective the driver can proceed to operate the vehicle. Where items have been identified that can affect the safe operation of the vehicle, repairs are to be conducted and proof of work recorded and retained by the department.
Loading and Usage Requirements
Inspect the tires for tread-wear and check tire pressure before each use to ensure that it meets the manufacturers specifications.
Usage of roof racks is not allowed.
When the van is not full, passengers should be seated in seats that are in front of the rear axle.
All occupants must wear seat belts at all times while the vehicle is moving. It is the responsibility of the driver to enforce this policy.