Personal Vehicle Use

Coverage and Compensation

The University of Calgary does not provide insurance for privately owned vehicles (including those of employees or students). Employees may use their personal automobile while on university business — however, it is the employee's insurance that will apply in an accident situation. 

In advance of travel, vehicle owners are strongly advised to check with their own insurer regarding use of their vehicle for business purposes. This may require securing an appropriate endorsement to their policy to include business travel. Compensation is deemed to be within the current reimbursement rate per kilometer, and therefore the cost of additional endorsements is at the personal expense of the vehicle owner.

Information on reimbursement rates for use of private vehicles can be located in the Supply Chain Management Travel and Expense Reimbursement Handbook in section 3.3 - Personal Vehicle.