Your Paycheque

Getting Paid

Getting paid

The university pay dates are on a semi-monthly frequency for all employees. Pay dates are on the 10th and the 25th of each month or the day prior when payday falls on a non-working day. You are compensated for time worked from the 16th to the end of the month on the first pay date of the month and for time worked from the 1st to the 15th on the second pay date of the month.

Time worked from March 1 – 15 is paid on March 23, 2019 pay date
Time worked from March 16 -31 is paid on April 10, 2019 pay date

All deadlines, cutoff periods and approval deadlines are accessible via the payroll calendars and include the deadlines for time entry and approval, scholarship entry and approval deadlines.

Direct Deposit

The university’s primary method of payment is in Canadian funds and by direct deposit. This method promotes timely payments, compliance requirements, cost reduction and environmental awareness. To add or update your direct deposit information, follow the instructions below.


The preferred way to update your direct deposit information is through ‘All about Me’ in your self-service option on the portal.

Learn more

Pay statement

Your pay statement is a report of your personal income, taxes, and deductions. You have access to your pay statements through your portal.

Paycheque FAQs

Records of Employment are issued electronically to Service Canada generally five (5) calendar days after your final pay date. Refer to the ROE information sheet for any questions. If Service Canada does not have your ROE please contact payroll at and include your name, UCID and the time frame you were employed by the university.

You can update the information through your portal. Click on ‘All about me’ then refer to the “my Info” column to update your personal information.

Do we have your banking information? The preferred method of payment by the university of Calgary is direct deposit, which promotes timely payments, compliance requirements, cost reduction and environmental awareness.

If you have not entered your banking information in the my.ucalgary  portal, or provided it directly to the Payroll Department we have likely issued a cheque and mailed your payment to your mailing address on file. If it has been at least 3 weeks from the date you expected payment and have not received a cheque please contact the payroll department at

If you have entered your banking information or have provided it to payroll but do not see your monies in your bank account, please contact the payroll department at

Please update your direct deposit information as soon as possible to avoid this issue in the future.

Your first pay date in January is the beginning of a new tax year. This means your CPP and EI deductions reset and you must now begin those deductions again until you have met the current year’s maximum deductions. Depending on Federal and/or Provincial budget changes there may be an impact to your income tax as well. If you believe these are not the reasons for a decrease in pay please contact the payroll department at

Please access your pay statement on the portal for the pay date in question to review what your net pay is comprised of. 

If you believe there is an error or something is missing, please contact the payroll department at

The university’s taxation year includes earnings paid from December 16 up to and including December 15 each year. The University of Calgary is required to file all year-end slips (T4/T4A forms) no later than February 28 each year for the prior tax year. 

  • To access your slip, simply log in > “All About Me” > “My Pay” > “Payroll Details” > “View T4/T4A Slips”.

Payroll Taxes and Deductions

All employment income is subject to an income tax deduction which is deducted from your earnings.  How much income tax is deducted from your pay is dependent on your personal situation. Based on your personal situation there are tax exemptions that you can claim to reduce your income tax deduction amount immediately at source or, you may choose to wait to claim tax exemptions when you file your personal tax return each year.

The Personal Tax Credits Return forms are used to determine the amount of income tax deducted off your pay.  You must complete both the Federal (TD1) and Provincial (TD1AB) forms and forward them to the Payroll Department in order to receive tax exemptions.  If you do not complete these forms, your income tax deduction will be calculated based on the current basic personal exemptions as regulated by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Please note that if you do not have any applicable exemptions you do not need to complete these forms and only when your personal situation changes do you need to complete new forms.

For access to the forms please click here and then click on Payroll.

Submit completed forms via inter-office mail to Financial Operations – Payroll.  Once we receive your completed forms we will process your requested changes on the next available pay date.

  1. You have more than one employer and will receive salary, wages, commissions, or any other remuneration;
  2. You want to change exemption amounts you had previously claimed (for example, you are no longer eligible to claim the tuition amount, your spousal returns to work);
  3. You want to begin or change the amount of additional taxes withheld from your pay.

The Canada Pension Plan is designed to help provide Canadians with income for their retirement or provide benefits if they become disabled. CPP contributions are mandatory for all employees with pensionable employment during the year, who are not considered to be disabled (drawing CPP disability benefit) and are 18 – 70 years of age.

Employees who are 65-70 and have completed a CPT30 Election to Stop Contributing to the Canada Pension Plan or Revocation of Prior Election can be exempt.

Employees and employers contribute equally to CPP.  Deductions are withheld from each pay period until the annual maximum contribution is met. The first pay date in January is the start of each tax year for contributions and accumulation of pensionable earnings.

Contributions to EI allow you make application for unemployment benefits should you have an interruption of earnings, go on an approved leave without pay or cease employment with the university. The determination of collecting unemployment benefits lies with Service Canada, the University only ensures you contribute to EI as regulated by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Both employees and employers contribute to Employment Insurance. Premiums are calculated based on insurable earnings and deductions are withheld each pay period until the annual maximum contribution is met. The first pay date in January is the start of each tax year for contributions and accumulation of insurable earnings.

Complete a new Federal tax credit return form (Federal TD1) and on the second page under 'Additional Tax to be Deducted' enter the additional amount that you want deducted per pay, and submit via inter-office mail to 'Financial Operations - Payroll' for processing. We will withhold the requested additional amount on the next available pay date. The Federal TD1 form can be found here, under Payroll.