Tax information

Tax receipts are issued in accordance with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) Regulations.

T2202A Tuition Tax Receipt

The university issues T2202A slips for tuition and and indicate the number of eligible months you were a full-time or part-time student during the tax year.

Tuition tax receipts are available in late February for the preceding tax year. You can access your T2202A slip through your Student Centre.

You can no longer claim the cost of monthly public transit passes for 2018 and on as of July 1, 2017. Please refer to the CRA website for more information.

Instructions to get your T2202A Tax slip

T4A Tuition Tax Receipt

The T4A is issued electronically to students who receive UCalgary scholarships, awards, bursaries fellowships etc.

T4 and T4As are accessed through the online Student Centre.

Students who have received a UCalgary scholarship/award/bursary can access their T4A slip by logging in at and selecting "view my T4/T4A" under "Quick Links".

Student Donation Tax Receipt

You can view and print your official donation tax receipts from your Student Centre. If you're unable to access the donation tax receipt, or would like a copy of past donation tax receipts, please contact the Development Office at 403.210.6239 or at

Instructions to get your Student Donation Tax Receipt

What if I have a hold on my account for unpaid fees from that calendar year?

If you owe fees for the tax year in which you need a T2202A, you can print your tax receipt from your Student Centre. However, the T2202A will show only the amounts paid, and will not reflect any fees which have not been paid from that calendar year. Not all fees paid are tax deductible. Please refer to Claiming Tuition Fees & the Education Amount for more information.

After all fees have been paid for the tax year, you can request an updated T2202A receipt through  Once the T2202A has been updated, you will receive an email the receipt is updated, which can be printed from the Student Centre.

I am a past student and no longer attending, how do I get my tax slip?

You can still access your Student Centre even after graduation as long as you remember your eID and password. For help recovering your eID or password, please contact the IT help desk at 403.220.5555.

Alternatively, you may request the T2202A tax form by submitting a written request via fax, mail or email to Enrolment Services. Requests must include:

  • your full legal name
  • UCID number
  • date of birth
  • signature

Once the request has been submitted, the tax form can be mailed to the mailing address on file, or emailed to a UCalgary email address only.

Can I claim transit costs I have paid?

As of July 1, 2017, public transit passes are no longer claimable. Refer to the CRA website for more information.

For transit pass claims up to June 30, 2017 or prior, tax receipts are not required at the time of filing. Copies of receipts and transit passes may only be required if Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requests them from you at a later date. Additional information can be found from the Canada Revenue Agency.

For a copy of transit receipts up to June 30, 2017, submit a written request by email to Enrolment Services.

Requests must include:

  • your full legal name
  • UCID Number
  • date of birth
  • written signature

Note: Transit receipts can be emailed to the UCalgary email address only, and will not be issued for 2018.

I have an approved Graduate Studies payment plan, how does this affect my T2202A?

The T2202A is based on payments made in the calendar/tax year assessment of January 1 - December 31. If your payment plan covers multiple terms, only the amount of taxable fees paid in the calendar/tax year will be listed on the T2202A. Once the remaining fees have been paid, graduate students need to email to request an updated T2202A based on all fees paid in the calendar/tax year. To verify your assessment and payments, visit your Student Centre finances section, “Account Inquiry and Payments”.

Helpful Canada Revenue Agency links

For clarification regarding full-time or part-time status with respect to your taxes please contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1.800.959.8281.