Social Insurance Number (SIN)
International students must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to receive employment income in Canada.
- A SIN is a confidential nine-digit number that is required to receive income in Canada
- You are required by Canadian law to provide your SIN to your employer within three (3) working days after the day you begin employment with them
- Your study permit will authorize you to work in Canada and must have a statement regarding your eligibility to work in Canada.
- You can apply in-person at a Service Canada office, online, or by paper (mail).
- Learn more by visiting How to Apply.
- Note: the Covid-19 pandemic may be impacting Service Canada in-person services.
- Check that the Service Canada office is open before you start your trip.
You can obtain a SIN by applying online or by mail. Learn more by visiting How to Apply.
Otherwise, there are several Service Canada Offices in Calgary. Here are the three places closest to the UCalgary campus:
- Calgary One Executive Place Service Canada Centre
- Address: 1816 Crowchild Trail NW
- Nearest C-Train: Banff Trail Station
- Calgary Centre Service Canada Centre (Harry Hayes Building)
- Address: Suite 150, 220 4th Avenue SE
- Nearest C-Train: Center Street Station
- Calgary Royal Vista Service Canada Centre
- Address: 15 Royal Vista Place NW
- Nearest C-Train: Tuscany Station
- Find a Service Canada Office