FAQs for Students

Use of Statutory Declaration/Medical Notes

Documentation for missed course assessments and exam absences

Unexpected events can and do happen. While the university is here to support you during these unexpected moments, you may need to provide supporting documentation if you’ve missed a course component such as an exam. The regulation allowing this documentation has been reinstated beginning in the fall 2023 term.

Your instructor may ask you for some documentation of your illness/medical situation/absence. A medical note cannot be required, so you cannot be required to go to the doctor if you choose not to. You can view the calendar regulations here.

You should inform your instructor as soon as possible that you were absent or missed a deadline for submission of coursework. You should then arrange to provide documentation in a timely manner if they request it.

Your instructor will decide whether to accept or decline your reason. You need to provide only as much information as a reasonable person would need to make an informed decision. If you choose to use a statutory declaration, it is used to provide evidence of the reason for your absence.

Submission of your documentation should be made directly to your instructor. Your instructor will inform you of acceptable methods to them, such as in person, during class, office hours, or by email.

 or deferred examination request by submitting a statutory declaration?

No, documentation or a statutory declaration will be used in consideration of determining approval for an absence or approving a deferred examination request but does not guarantee that any request will be approved. For example, a statutory declaration that explains you were absent for a family reunion, whilst accurate, may not be deemed acceptable by your instructor. Likewise, a medical note confirming an upset stomach ten days prior might also not be accepted as a legitimate reason.

Statutory declarations are one form of supporting documentation a student may choose to provide. Statutory declarations are made through commissioners for oaths and involve swearing an oath. Many commissioners for oaths are available for a fee and by appointment. You can download the statutory declaration form and swear an oath at your appointment and then share the form with the appropriate contact regarding your situation. The Government of Alberta offers information on commissioners for oaths.

If your instructor has requested documentation, you should submit it directly to your instructor in a method acceptable to them. If the statutory declaration or documentation is for another purpose – ex. deferred exam request, then you would follow the submission instructions for that process.

Is my personal information safe? 

All documents submitted by students will be kept in accordance with university records retention rule 99.0006 Student Academic Files – Undergraduate (asc.ucalgary.ca/marrs/undergraduate) and 98.0018 Student Academic Files – Graduate (asc.ucalgary.ca/marrs/graduate).

Falsification of any supporting documentation will be taken very seriously and may result in disciplinary action through the Student Non-Academic Misconduct policy.