Registration changes and exemption requests

Sometimes unexpected circumstances can affect your time table. You have the ability to change your registration.

Registration exemption request

You can request registration exemptions for matters involving registration processes and academic policies (including but not limited to: drop, add, audit and withdrawal of courses). Your request will be heard through the Registration Exemption Request Committee. Please review the Registration Exemption Submission Document for consideration.

About the committee

  • The Registration Exemption Request Committee meets monthly

  • All requests are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis
  • Depending on the volume and complexity of appeals, you can normally expect a decision within 30 days of submission
  • Requests dating back more than one academic year from the term in which the matter occurred will not be considered for review

Supporting documentation for exemption/deferral requests

You may be asked to provide supporting documentation for an exemption/special request associated with your student record. This may include, but is not limited to, a prolonged absence from a course where participation is required, a missed course assessment, a deferred examination, or an appeal.

You're encouraged to submit documentation that will support your situation. Supporting documentation will depend on the reason noted in your personal statement or the explanation outlining your situation. This could be medical documentation, references, police reports, an invitation letter, or a statutory declaration — to name a few. The decision to provide supporting documentation that best suits the situation is at your, the student's, discretion. An instructor or staff member at the University of Calgary cannot require you to provide specific supporting documentation such as a medical note.

Falsification of any supporting documentation will be taken very seriously and may result in disciplinary action through the Student Non-Academic Misconduct policy.

Find more information regarding academic regulations on supporting documentation.

Statutory declaration

You may choose to make a statutory declaration as your supporting documentation. This requires you to make a declaration in the presence of a Commissioner for Oaths. You will provide honest and accurate information that is a legally binding declaration. 

To have a statutory declaration completed, you should first download the statutory declaration form. Complete the form and then meet with a Commissioner for Oaths. Please bring your UCID with you for identification. 

Several registered Commissioners for Oaths are available to students on campus at no charge.

You can meet with a Commissioner for Oaths by visiting Enrolment Services during regular business hours. Students attending a scheduled appointment (to address other matters) at the Student Success Centre, Student Wellness Services, or the Student Ombuds Office may also access a Commissioner for Oaths during their appointment.

Some faculties also have Commissioner for Oaths within their student advising offices. Students can also access a Commissioner for Oaths, as well as other legal services, on campus for free (for undergraduate students) through Student Legal Assistance or off campus for a fee.

Requesting an Extenuating Circumstance Withdrawal (EW)

Extenuating Circumstance Withdrawals (EW) are defined as unexpected and uncontrollable circumstances that make it impossible for a student to complete the term or a course. EWs typically consider situations such as medical emergencies, compassionate grounds, or unforeseen conditions/situations that arise after the start of term. Each situation or instance is considered on a case-by-case basis. Typically, short-term illnesses or pre-existing, unmanaged conditions are not considered for an EW. Detailed information on EWs is available in section B.14.3 of the University Calendar.

Grounds that are typically considered for an Extenuating Circumstance Withdrawal include:

  • Medical emergencies
  • Unforeseen conditions/situations, that occur after the start of the term
  • Compassionate grounds

Grounds that are not normally considered for an Extenuating Circumstance Withdrawal include:

  • Non-attendance in course
  • Incomplete exams or course work
  • Short-term illnesses or pre-existing, unmanaged conditions

How to apply for an Extenuating Circumstance Withdrawal:

  1. Submit a 1-2 page personal statement stating your grounds for an EW. You should provide sufficient details to explain your situation, how it has impacted your studies, timelines (onset, consultations, impact on decisions, delays in taking actions), action taken (support, treatment etc.) and plans to help manage your condition/situation (if applicable). Your explanation should be clear, factual and describe the outcome you are seeking. All information provided is confidential and will only be reviewed by the Registrar and the Associate Dean in your home Faculty.
  2. Withdraw from the term you are applying for by withdrawing from all course(s) before the withdrawal deadline. If you are applying for extenuating circumstance withdrawal for only one course you will need to withdraw from the course.

  3. Provide supporting documentation that support the information outlined in your personal statement.

Download the EW application form

Factors considered for Extenuating Circumstance Withdrawal requests:

  • Timelines: When was the onset of the situation/condition, what was the duration, did the situation/condition deteriorate as the term progressed
  • Student Actions/Impact: What was the impact on you and your studies, what actions did you take to seek support on/off campus, is an EW the only option
  • If submitting an EW for a specific course, your statement should speak specifically to reason for a single course request.
  • Faculty interactions: Can you be accommodated, what communication did you have with your instructor/faculty
  • Supporting documentation: Does the documentation support your statements and provide information to support your needs.  Note – please do not submit detailed information about your medical record.

EW requests must normally be submitted within 30 days of the last day of the term in which the extenuating circumstance occurred.