One of the biggest benefits of studying abroad on a University of Calgary program is that you continue to pay tuition and fees to the University of Calgary at the same rates you normally pay. You also remain eligible for regular UCalgary awards and scholarships, and you can take your student loans with you as well. But that’s not all. The University of Calgary is committed to making international opportunities as accessible as possible. As a result, there is almost half a million dollars in UCalgary funding available to students going on UCalgary study abroad programs, not to mention a variety of external awards that may also apply to your program. Start your research early and pay attention to the deadlines so that you don’t miss out.
UCalgary Funding Opportunities:
These awards are offered by organizations and departments associated with the University of Calgary. The University helps to administer the awards, and can also offer support when you submit your application.
The International Study Travel Grant (formerly the International Studentship Award) supports University of Calgary students participating in an official UCalgary study abroad program such as a Student Exchange, Group Study Program, Field School, Co-op, Practicum, and Internship, or international courses timetabled at the University of Calgary and supervised by a UCalgary professor (i.e. independent research or reading course).
One award of $3000 available for a selected student studying through a university-wide agreement at each of the highly ranked partner universities listed below:
No application necessary - the selected student(s) will be internally nominated by their program/exchange advisor at the Study Abroad Office. To be eligible for selection, students must have completed at least 24 units on campus over the previous Fall and Winter terms preceding their exchange, with a GPA of at least 3.0 over that Fall and Winter. E.g. for a Winter 2020 exchange, student must have taken at least 24 units here over F18/W19.
The University of Calgary has partnered with Mitacs to provide funding through the Globalink program for senior undergraduate, graduate (Masters or PhD) and postdoctoral fellows to take part in international research opportunities. These are collaborative experiences between the University of Calgary and universities located in Mitacs partner and eligible countries. The award is worth $6,000 CAD per student. Placements must be between 12-24 weeks.
For more information, please refer to:
Check with your faculty or department if they offer other study abroad awards not listed!
- Faculty of Arts Group Study Program (GSP) Scholarships (for GSP participants) and Faculty of Arts Student Study Abroad Scholarships (for other international programs) - up to 10 awards of $1000 each! - More Information Coming Soon!
- Faculty of Arts Lancaster Awards - up to 4 awards of $1000 available to students in the Faculty of Arts accepted for an exchange in the Arts & Social Science Faculty at Lancaster University in the UK for a Fall, Winter, or full year program over the 2019/20 year.
- Schulich Student Activities Fund - available to students in the Schulich School of Engineering to support a variety of activities.
- Faculty of Science IDEAS Fund - available to students in the Faculty of Science, the fund is designed to support students to engage in innovation, leadership, educational and professional development activities, which includes overseas travel for educational opportunities. The maximum amount of funding over a degree is $2500. Deadline for Spring/Summer - Feb 15th; deadline for Fall - July 15th; deadline for Winter - November 15th.
- Department of Communication, Media and Film Study Abroad Award - up two awards of $1000 available to students in the Bachelor of Arts in Communication and Media Studies, Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies, Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies, or Bachelor of Film Studies programs who have been accepted into a study abroad program. Must have at least second year standing in your program, and be accepted for a group study program, semester abroad, or an independently arranged semester abroad program. Applications for the upcoming academic year are through the continuing undergraduate awards portal application (typically due August 1st): https://www.ucalgary.ca/registrar/finances/awards/apply
- University of Calgary Graduate Studies Awards - inquire about NSERC, SSHERC, Vanier, Open Doctoral Competition and current external award competitions.
- Mainland China: The Canada Learning Initiative in China has connected select Canadian universities with the Chinese Ministry of Education to cover many of the costs of studying in mainland China on a number of different approved programs. You must be a full time student at the University of Calgary and must be accepted into one of the approved study abroad programs
- Mainland China: The CNOOC International Canadian Global Leaders in China Award of $2000 per student is offered to up to 20 students participating in an approved UCalgary study abroad program in mainland China (exclusive of Hong Kong). This includes credit programs such as student exchange programs with partner universities; group study programs led by University of Calgary professors; term abroad programs; research projects; practica, internships and co-operative education abroad. No application necessary - students will be internally nominated by their program/exchange advisor, via the Study Abroad Office. Please indicate to your advisor if you are interested in being nominated for this award. Preference will be given to students based on academic merit.
- China, Hong Kong, and Macau: The China International Study Travel Award - generally distributed as 4 awards of $5000, and generously sponsored by Joe & Cindy Leung, these awards are offered annually to continuing undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Calgary who have been selected to participate in an approved study abroad program in China (inclusive of Hong Kong and Macau) during the upcoming academic year. This includes credit programs such as student exchange programs with partner universities; group study programs led by University of Calgary professors; term abroad programs; research projects; practica, internships and co-operative education abroad. No application necessary - students will be internally nominated by their program/exchange advisor, via the Study Abroad Office. Preference may be given to students based on academic merit (3.0 GPA over previous 24 units), demonstration of financial need, and/or students enrolled in Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Health Science, or Bachelor of Arts - Urban Studies program. Please indicate to your advisor if you are interested in being nominated for this award.
See additional funding opportunities in the "Asia, Australia and Latin America" tab of the External Funding Opportunities section below!
- E. Catherine Barclay Award - an award of $7,500 granted to an outstanding full-time student registered in any faculty at the University of Calgary wishing to pursue studies in France through an official exchange program, for two semesters. Award holders must select courses in which the language of instruction is French. The selection criteria are: academic merit, solid command of oral and written French, and extra-curricular activities exhibiting concern for others. The application for the 2018-2019 is available here. The deadline for applications is March 1.
See additional funding opportunities in the "Europe" tab of the External Funding Opportunities section below! Additional University-specific awards can be found on our individual program pages for our university partners in France, such as the University of Tours, Université Claude Bernard, etc.
- Antje Graupe Pryor Award - available to undergraduate University of Calgary engineering students wishing to study at the Technische Universität Berlin for semester and year-long exchanges or summer research. The award is $7,500 per semester (maximum of two semesters) or $7,500 for a summer research term. Awards are open to majors in Computer, Electrical, Geomatics, Manufacturing, Mechanical and Oil & Gas Engineering. Contact email@example.com for details.
- Association for German Education in Calgary (AGEC) Study Abroad Scholarship - one award of $2000 available to a student participating in an approved University of Calgary Study Abroad Program of at least six weeks in duration. See GPA and Major/Minor requirements in the link above. Deadline April 1, 2019
See additional funding opportunities in the "Europe" tab of the External Funding Opportunities section below! Additional University-specific awards can be found on our individual program pages for our university partners in Germany, such as the University of Oldenburg.
- Calgary Italian Sportswomen’s Dinner Association Award for Study in Bologna - one annual award of $500 offered to a student in any faculty selected to participate in the UCalgary exchange program at the University of Bologna in Italy for at least one term. Selection is based on academic merit, and applicants must have completed at least 24 units (8 half-courses) in the previous Fall/Winter terms before award application. Those selected for Bologna that meet this criteria will be sent details on the award application due August 15th each year. An additional letter of recommendation may be required.
- Italian Study Abroad Award - one annual award of up to $1500 offered to a continuing undergrad student in the Faculty of Arts pursuing a major/minor in Italian, or to a student in any faculty who is completing or has completed at least two HCE (6 units) in Italian. Students must be accepted to a study abroad program in Italy (and continuing their studies full time into the following fall semester). A minimum GPA of 2.6 over the academic year of application (F & W), with at least 24 units (8 half-courses) taken, is required. For more details, see award application information here. Deadline May 1st!
- Julio Peris Scholarship - two annual awards for undergraduate students, enrolled in a UCI exchange or group study program in Spain (valued up to $1350 each!). The awards are open to undergrads in any program who have an academic interest in Spain. The award is based on academic merit (minimum 2.6 GPA or higher in F18/W19), with enrollment in at least 8 HCE or 24 units over Fall/Winter. For more details, see scholarship application information here. Deadline May 1st!
Student Activities Fund - an award for non-credit, non-academic, unpaid international experiences only. Selection decisions are competitive and need-based, so please review the eligibility section thoroughly before applying, and ensure you complete the application in its entirety.
Eligible programs include co-curricular experiences like UCalgaryCares service-learning trips, or unpaid, non-credit bearing experiential research/internships, amongst others.
External Funding Opportunities:
These are awards offered by groups external to the University of Calgary. As the university does not administer these awards, it is best to contact the organizations directly with any questions regarding eligibility and application requirements. Please note, this is only a short list of opportunities and resources known to our office. Students are highly encouraged to do their own further research for more funding options!
- Austria - the Austrian Exchange Service
- Germany - German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Awards - offers funding for programs in Germany including exchanges, internships, research, and language courses.
- Germany - "Come to Oldenburg" Grant
- Netherlands - Netherlands Organization for International Cooperation in Higher Education (NUFFIC)
- Netherlands (Erasmus University Rotterdam Faculty of History, Communication & Culture only) www.atpfonds.nl/criteria.html
- Norway - Study In Norway scholarships
- Norway - CaNoRock Step Scholarships for physics and astronomy students (internal selection).
- Sweden - The Swedish Institute
- UK - The British Council
- Australia - Study Mobility Scholarships
- Australia - scholarshipdb.net;
- Australia - Australia Award
- China - Chinese Government Scholarships
- Latin America – LIV Fund