UCalgary Mitacs Globalink Research Award - Outgoing
The University of Calgary has partnered with Mitacs to provide funding through the Globalink program for senior undergraduate, graduate (Masters or PhD) and postdoctoral fellows from the University of Calgary to take part in international research opportunities. The award is worth $6,000 CAD per student. Access to this program is currently: Brazil, China, France, Germany, Israel, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Singapore, Taiwan USA, UK, Tunisia and the Wallonie-Bruxelles region of Belgium. *countries subject to change
Placements must be between 12-24 weeks in duration.
Spring 20 applications
For research placements starting in May or June 2020
Final Deadline: Feb. 1, 2020 but earlier application is strongly encouraged.
Students must submit application at minimum 12 weeks before their anticipated start date. Earlier application is strongly encouraged.
- Must be registered as full-time senior undergraduates, graduate students, or postdoctoral fellows at the University of Calgary and remain as such throughout their Globalink Research Award;
- Postdoctoral fellows may apply if their date of graduation from a PhD program is no more than 5 years prior to the proposed start date of the research project
- Undergraduate students must be returning to the University of Calgary for at least one semester of an undergraduate or graduate program following their research placement
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree and/or been employed;
- Cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada);
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older);
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation;
- Cannot have previously recieved a Globalink Research Award; and
- Cannot have previously held a Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program award.
- For undergraduate students only: Must have completed their 2nd year of studies (20 courses / 60 units) prior to departure. Undergraduate applicants must also have maintained a 3.0 GPA (B average) in their 2 most recent semesters prior to application.
Access to the program is currently limited to the following countries: Brazil, China, France, Germany, Israel, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Singapore, Taiwan, USA, UK, Tunisia and the Wallonie-Bruxelles region of Belgium *eligible countries are subject to change
- Note: 25% of your 12-24 week long research project may be completed at UCalgary. A minimum of 75% must be completed at the host institution (for example, for a 12-week project, students can spend a maximum of 3 weeks at UCalgary and must spend a minimum of 9 weeks at the host institution).
Home Supervising Professors:
- Must hold a faculty position at UCalgary; and
- Must be eligible to hold Tri-Council funding and to supervise graduate students.
Host Supervising Professors:
- Must be recognized faculty members at their institutions; and
- Must be eligible to supervise graduate students.
- You will need to secure an academic supervisor at the University of Calgary as well as one at your host university.
- Ensure your host supervisor is in one of the Mitacs GRA eligible destinations. See the Globalink Research Award "About" page for a complete list of eligible destinations. If you wish to inquire about approval for a destination not on the list, please contact the Central Coordinator at UCalgary International.
- Note: You must also check the University of Calgary Country Risk Ratings to determine whether you are permitted under University policy to travel to your desired destination.
Once you have confirmation of a research project from both your home and host university supervisors, please complete the application process in step 3.
A complete application includes the following documents submitted as separate files and numbered as per the instructions :
1) Globalink Research Award application form [pdf] (document 1)
- This document must be signed by you and by your home and host university supervisors
- The Canadian University Representative section will be completed by University of Calgary International, please leave it blank
- In the budget section, please allocate all $6,000 to the Stipend. Please leave other budget lines blank.
- This application form should not be scanned. It must be submitted in its original, fillable pdf format. However, sections 6 & 7 may be submitted as a separate, scanned pdf if digital signatures cannot be obtained.
- Be written on university letterhead
- Provide the supervisor’s title and department
- Outline supervisory and/or financial support for the student and project
- Describe your academic and research qualities, outstanding achievements, and ability to complete the project
- Your home university supervisor letter should be document number 4 and the International supervisor letter will be number 5.
5) Host supervisor’s CV including funding history, publications, and graduate students supervised. (document 6)
6) For undergraduate students only: you must also provide an electronic copy of your transcript for your current degree program, including both your cumulative grade point average (GPA) and your GPA for each semester. If applicable, submit as document number 7.
The application package must be submitted as a complete package to your Faculty's Mitacs Liaison, who in turn, will submit it to: MitacsGRA@ucalgary.ca
- Please keep email to less than 10MB
- Please submit your complete application a minimum of 12 weeks prior to your anticipated project start date
The University of Calgary will submit your application to Mitacs for review. Mitacs will typically contact participants approximately 10-12 weeks after receiving your application. Proposals will be adjudicated based on the following criteria:
- Expected benefit to the intern’s academic studies and research career
- Benefit to Canada
- Quality of the research proposal
- Level of supervision and mentorship committed by the host supervisor
- Strength of recommendation by the home supervisor
If successful, Mitacs will send a “Review Result” email to indicate that the project will be funded. Note, this is not a Notice of Award. Prior to receiving an official Notice of Award, Mitacs will ask you to formally accept the award, which includes submitting the Mitacs Code of Conduct and Ethics form, along with an International Pre-Departure Form.
- The International Pre-Departure Form must be signed by Colleen Packer, Director International Learning Programs or Teri Jones, Manager, Education Abroad. Please contact them for a list of pre-departure requirements that must be completed before this form can be signed.
- Complete the pre-departure requirements. Please see above section for details.
- Complete any required registration at UCalgary
- Obtain any required visas and permits
- Obtain appropriate health insurance
- Ensure that your banking information in the MyUofC Portal is up to day in order to receive the funding by direct deposit
- Arrange for housing
- Mitacs will issue the award letter after the participant has provided their International Pre-Departure and Code of Conduct forms, respectively, and confirmed their project dates. Students cannot travel until Mitacs has issued both an outcome and award letter. Projects must begin within one year of the outcome letter being issued.
- Mitacs funds will be sent to the University of Calgary and administered by the appropriate office responsible for managing undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral fellows’ funds at the university.
- Funds will be issued by direct deposit to your bank account. Please ensure that your banking information is up to day by going to your MyUofC portal and clicking on "submit banking information" in the Finances section.
- If all of the above steps are complete, you can expect to receive your award approximately one month prior to your departure.
- Funding is based on a project duration of 12 weeks, though projects durations of up to 24 weeks are acceptable. Applicants are encouraged to seek support from other funding sources for longer durations and use prudence when allocating funds to travel and accommodations.
Following completion of your research placement, please submit the following to the UCalgary coordinator to be forwarded to Mitacs. This must be completed within one month of the conclusion of your project.
1) A final report that summarizes the project.
o The participant is responsible for drafting the final report and securing approval and signatures from the participating supervisors.
2) Exit survey from the participant.
3) Exit survey from the home academic supervisor.
4) Exit survey from the host academic supervisor.
International travel presents challenges that may not be found when attending classes on campus. There may be a lack of resources, emergency services, hospitals, accessibility issues and/or demands on the physical and the mental self, all of which can challenge individuals when away from their usual support systems and structures. Adequate preparation is essential.
For this reason, it is imperative that you evaluate all aspects of your own physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual condition against the rigors of the particular study abroad program you are selecting. If you are unsure of whether or not this program is a good fit for you and/or if you have any circumstances that could impede your enjoyment of the program, please contact us. Our Study Abroad Team will be happy to assist in finding the best options for you and arrange any supports or accommodations necessary to ensure your success.
Please note if you have or are seeking a certificate from Student Accessibility Services, you should provide this early to your Study Abroad Advisor to ensure that the option that you are seeking can support your needs.