Global Community Challenge YYC
In the fall we had 54 students from 17 universities in 14 countries worked to solve 9 challenges set by 6 community organizations. Congratulations to the winners of the 2020 Global Community Challenge YYC!
What is the Challenge?
The University of Calgary International is proud to present the Global Community Challenge YYC
Now more than ever, organizations must demonstrate the ability to pivot and respond to issues and needs as they arise. Our world is facing new challenges as a result of the pandemic and other recent international and local events. The University of Calgary has engaged students and provided them with the opportunity to identify potential solutions for local organizations in the Calgary community that have an impact globally.
This project is funded by the Government of Canada’s Outbound Student Mobility Pilot Program.
Fall 2020 Challenge Winners
All of the teams came up with great solutions to their community partner's challenges but we had 3 that stood out as our winners.
- Celia Sorrentino (Aix-Marseille Université, France)
- Chloé Balix (University College Groningen, the Netherlands)
- Emily Tetrault (University of Calgary, Canada)
- Jessica Revington (University of Calgary, Canada)
- Rhi McQuone (University of Sheffield, UK)
- Samuel López (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico)
Mentor: Aishwarya Khanduja, Researcher, Cumming School of Medicine
- Daniel Castillo (University San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador)
- Deborah Ola (University of Calgary, Canada)
- Ethan Holden (Oxford Brookes University, UK)
- Melissa Thiessen (University of Calgary, Canada)
- Paula Ramirez (University of Groningen, the Netherlands)
- Rafael Martin Del Campo De La Mora (Universidad de Guadalajara, Mexico)
Mentor: Nancy Olson, Agreements and Contracts Specialist, University of Calgary International
- Dariia Korotka (Graz University of Technology, Austria)
- Deena Gohar (University of Calgary, Canada)
- Ieesha Lagos Roberts (University of Calgary, Canada)
- Katherine May (University of Sheffield, UK)
- Lotte Kallio (University of Groningen, the Netherlands)
- Sofía Soria (University San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador)
Mentors: Buffy St-Amand, Director, Strategic Projects and Global Initiatives, University of Calgary International
Garrett Beatty, International Student Advisor, International Student Services