trento 2

University of Trento

Nestled in the mountains of Northeastern Italy just south of the Dolomite Mountains, the city of Trento is located on the scenic Brenner Pass train route between Venice and Innsbruck in Austria.

Nestled in the mountains of Northeastern Italy just south of the Dolomite Mountains, the city of Trento is located on the scenic Brenner Pass train route between Venice and Innsbruck in Austria. Here you can visit the 13th c. Buonconsiglio Castle, MUSE contemporary science museum, or take an easy hike up some of the local hills. 

The University of Trento, founded in 1962, has a population of more than 16,000 students. It is a strong research and international relations university and is currently ranked #101 globally for Law (QS, 2017)

Key information


Trento, Italy


English, Italian


Academic Year, Fall, Winter

Program type


Application information

Application status



2024-2025 applications

First come first considered for remaining spaces until

Winter 2025: August 15, 2024

University-specific additional requirements

No reference letter required, except Law applicants; minimum GPA 2.7. See Eligibility section below for details.

2025-2026 applications

Open November 1, 2024

Program details

  1. In English

    For 4th year or Law students there are a selection of Law (mix of Bachelor/Masters level courses), International Relations, Economics, Law & Society, Political Science, and Sociology courses for major/minors in those areas (masters courses open to 4th year students only).
    Additionally, for those in 2/3rd year there are bachelor-level courses in English Literature, Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Spanish. 

    For offerings and availability information, please see "Courses offered in English or other foreign languages"

  2. In Italian

    For courses in Italian, please visit the Esse3 database. Offerings may include Business, Economics, Physics, Architecture and Urban Studies, Ecology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Neuroscience, and Psychology. Bachelor degree courses can also be found through the departments listed here

    The standardized European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) typically works on the number of credit points rather than courses - however, in terms of credit transfer, 6 ECTS = the credit of 1 UCalgary half-course. Students should plan to take 24 to 30 European credits (4-5 courses) at Trento.

*The academic year is divided into two semesters.

  • First semester runs from September to January, with the exception of Law students who can arrange to depart before the holidays. Law students must however be flexible in their course selection to be able to switch courses if the professor for a desired course will not grant early exit to finish before the holidays. 
  • Second semester runs from February to July.

For the summer program, please see the  Trento summer program page . 

  1. Costs

    Exchange students pay their tuition and academic fees to the University of Calgary. Other expenses are paid directly to the service provider. 

    Trento cost comparison vs Calgary: Click Here

  2. Funding

    Did you know that you can take your UCalgary funding with you on exchange? 
    Since you remain a degree seeking student at UCalgary while on exchange you remain eligible for any awards and scholarships you are eligible to receive from the university as well as student loans.

    Our office administers several awards, including the Global Access Fund (based on a funding-first model where students apply prior to committing to a global learning program) and the Global Learning Award (students apply after being accepted to a global learning program; the amount varies year-to-year as the money is split among chosen recipients). Students may only receive these awards once. Please see the funding page, linked below, for more information.

    Italian Study Abroad Award: One award, provided by Calgary's local Italian community and facilitated by the UCalgary Italian Department. For more information, please click here.

    Fogolâr Furlan di Calgary Scholarship in Italian Studies: One award, managed by The Calgary Foundation. Students who are Alberta residents working towards a major or minor in Italian Studies may be eligible. For more information, please click here

    Please click here for more possible sources of funding as recommended by the UCalgary School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures & Cultures.


Student accommodation at Trento is guaranteed for exchange students. It is run through Opera Universitaria lodging, which is a provincial institution dedicated to student housing and assisting incoming international students. There are over 1580 beds in student accommodation and numerous apartment types that range in location and price, mixing international with domestic students.

Typical costs start from €250 per month for a 2-person shared bedroom, €310 for a single room (with shared facilities), €345-365 for a studio apartment, and €490 for a full apartment. More info can be found on the accommodation page. Typically a damage deposit of €360 (refundable on departure) and a non-refundable €40 for cleaning and administration will be required. There is also Bike loan program for students living on campus.

For private accommodation, Trento recommends using "Housing Anywhere" and has more information in the "Private accommodation" section of their accommodation page. 

This exchange is open to regular, full-time students in any faculty at the U of C, who have completed at least 1 full year (10 courses) at the post-secondary level, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 (B-).

For Italian-taught courses, applicants should have a command of Italian at the B2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR) at a minimum, or have completed at least two 300-level or above courses in Italian before departure. Certification of language proficiency may be required. Students do have the opportunity to take Italian language courses during their stay.

For English-taught courses, Italian language competency is not required but basic knowledge is recommended for navigating everyday life in Italy.

Do I have to speak Italian?

No. For studies in Italian, it will be required, but for studies in English we recommend a basic understanding of Italian for functioning in day-to-day life. If you are not able to take a course in Italian during your degree you can also enroll in Continuing Education courses, or use language learning apps or software.  

While many young Italians will be able to speak English, it can be challenging to complete day-to-day tasks without at least a basic understanding of Italian.

Are there opportunities for me to learn Italian?

Yes! The University Language Centre (CLA) provides free languages courses in several languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and Chinese) and at different levels.

The language courses take place at the Language Centre (CLA) in Via Verdi 8 in Trento, and in the different University Departments throughout the academic year. Some courses aim at developing general language skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening), while others are more specific.

Language courses are free for foreign students in the frame of international mobility programmes if included in their study plan. Italian language courses are equivalent to 3 ECTS. You can find the courses here. For more detailed information please contact the CLA directly.

For international students CLA provides a few kinds of courses in Italian:

  • Evening courses (Corsi estensivi di italiano L2): two 3 hr lessons per week for about two months (mid-Oct to mid-Dec; mid-March to mid-May)
  • Intensive courses (Corsi intensivi di italiano L2): five half-day lessons per week for about 2-3 weeks, designed to run as a pre-semester language program (in Sept, Feb, and June).
  • Online courses (Corsi online): ICON (Italian Culture on the Net) is an interactive language learning course that costs about 30 euro and is open to registered exchange students (on acceptance). 

What supports and services are available at Trento?

The University Guild, Opera Universitaria, provides support services for students with accessibility needs. Trento recommends that students inform the advisor as soon as possible, but requires that all students that need support note the needed accommodations upon enrollment, before arriving in Trento. This is to ensure proper staffing and aides, as well as accommodations for housing or classroom instruction. More information can be found here

For information on accessibility of campuses across Europe, ESN has created "Inclusive Mobility EU" which allows you to check the accessibility of universities and cities across Europe. For city-specific services and places in Europe, the Jaccede interactive platform (website and/or smartphone app - both Android and iOS) also provides a searchable user-built database to identify important accessibility information of public places and locations.

Additionally, counselling services and cultural mediation services are also available for students suffering from mental health issues abroad such as (but not limited to) depression, homesickness, and anxiety, to interpersonal conflicts, language barriers, etc. 

Trento also offers support to Faculty and students bringing their families with them, as well as for student athletes who wish to continue training abroad. 

See all Services & Facilities here!

Additionally, Trento runs a buddy program, an orientation program, welcome days, and other activities for networking and meeting other local and international students. They also assist with Italian visas and each month offers affordable guided visits to sites around Trento like the UNESCO World Heritage Dolomites. Students also have free access to the University and Opera Universitaria sports facilities, discounts on town sports centres, swimming pools, ski-lifts, and opportunities to participate in sport competitions and events. 

Have questions?

Global Learning 101

Please watch this short YouTube playlist before reaching out or booking an appointment. In these videos, you will learn much of the basics about Global Learning, which may answer your initial questions.

Watch Global Learning 101

Academic Advising

Before applying to study abroad, you should ask your academic advisor how this program might align with your degree (e.g. best time to go, what courses you need).

After you are accepted, you should ask your academic advisor more specific questions about courses/transfer credits. It’s also recommended to follow up with your advisor again once you return to Calgary.

Find your academic advisor

Global Learning Advising

If you have questions, please reach out to our office! We offer drop-in advising for general inquiries, and if you have questions about this specific program or any others, you can book an appointment with the responsible advisor.

Please use the link below to find the most up-to-date information about our current advising options.

View the Global Learning Advising page

The exchange advisor for this program is: Tara Jorgensen

How to Apply

Download the application guide

This PDF contains information on how to complete your application and what to do after you have applied.

Application guide

Identify three programs of interest

We recommend applying for your top three programs for the priority application deadline, as placement may be competitive. We will assess your applications in ranked order.

Check requirements and deadlines

These may vary by program, so check the individual program pages and make sure that you are aware of any different application deadlines or eligibility requirements.

Start your application

Once you have gathered everything you need, you can begin your application!

Please note: Applications will not be considered complete until all required documents are submitted in full.


International travel presents challenges that may not be found when attending classes on campus. There may be a lack of resources, emergency services, hospitals, accessibility issues and/or demands on the physical and the mental self, all of which can challenge individuals when away from their usual support systems and structures. Adequate preparation is essential.

For this reason, it is imperative that you evaluate all aspects of your own physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual condition against the rigors of the particular global learning program you are selecting. If you are unsure of whether or not this program is a good fit for you and/or if you have any circumstances that could impede your enjoyment of the program, please contact us. Our Global Learning Advisors will be happy to assist in finding the best options for you and arrange any supports or accommodations necessary to ensure your success.

If you have or are seeking a certificate from Student Accessibility Services, you should provide this early to your Global Learning Advisor to ensure that the option that you are seeking can support your needs.

Please note: All participants must adhere to COVID-19 and other vaccination-related requirements for the destinations visited on this program. Failure to do so may have consequences such as being denied access to accommodation/housing, program activities, or to the host country itself.