University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Student Loans

While you are a student at the University of Calgary, you may be eligible for a government student loan. Student loans are intended to supplement student and family resources and are based on financial need.

Find out how to apply by following the steps below!

Applying for a Fall 2015 and/or Winter 2016 Student Loan?

Alberta student loan applications for the 2015/2016 academic are now available online at Student Aid Alberta. Be sure to apply early as loan applications take 4-6 weeks to assess.

Please note the school will not be receiving paper application packages this year. If you are unable to apply online you must contact Student Aid Alberta at 1-855-606-2096.

Awaiting Confirmation of a Fall 2015 Student Loan?

All full-time student loans for the Fall 2015 semester awaiting confirmation by the school will be confirmed beginning in mid-August. Please note, you must be registered full-time before your loan can be confirmed. For the Fall semester you must be registered in a minimum of three 3.00 unit courses.

Program Information Forms & Loan Disbursements

Find out more about managing your Program Information Forms and loan disbursements here.

Have Your Circumstances Changed During Your Loan Period?

If your circumstances change during your loan period, ensure that you notify lender immediately to keep your loan in good standing. This includes dropping or withdrawing from courses. Changing your course load may impact your repayment agreement. If you are an Alberta student loan borrower, you may submit a Request for Reconsideration Form to report any changes. If you are an out-of-province loan borrower please contact your lender to determine how to report your change of circumstance.

Expecting a Loan Disbursement?

Here are some tips and tricks for ensuring your loan is successfully confirmed by the school and disbursed to your student account:

1. Are you registered?

You need to be appropriately registered in classes for the entire study period of your loan. For most students, full-time registration means being registered in at least two 3.00 unit courses in the Spring or Summer semesters, and at least three 3.00 unit courses in the Fall or Winter semester.

2. Have you submitted your MSFAA(s)?

Once your loan is confirmed by the school, no funds can be disbursed until your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement(s) are received and approved by your lender(s). Depending on which province you are borrowing from, you may only have one MSFAA. Alberta borrowers will have two MSFAAs and can log into their SIAMS account at to verify approval of the agreement(s).

Alberta Student Loan Borrowers

Monitor the status of your Alberta Student Loan account by logging into your SIAMS account. You may update your address, review correspondence, including your Notice of Assessment as well as view and print your Master Student Financial Aid Agreement(s). Click here to get started. Learn more about processing your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement

Not From Around Here?

Get all the loan info needed for Out-of-Province students and students from the United States.

1. Determine Your Eligibility

Find out if you are eligible for a government student loan.

Learn more

2. Apply For Loans

Find out how to apply for loans.

Learn more

3. Receive Your Loans

You've got your loan. Now what?

Learn more

4. Maintain Your Interest-Free Status

If you are in studies your loans may be eligible for interest-free status.

Learn more

5. Repaying Your Loans

When you graduate start paying back your loan.

Learn more