Resources for UCalgary Students
Join the English Corner to practise communicating in English and meet other students who also want to improve their English! This drop-in event is open to everyone of all English-speaking levels. The English Corner is sponsored by the Bahá’ís of Calgary in partnership with the UCalgary Faith & Spirituality Centre.
During the summer (June-August) it runs every Wednesday, 7:30- 9 pm MST. Visit the FSC Events Calendar to sign up.
This is a volunteer-run drop in program that focuses on practical English for daily conversation. It runs during the Academic year. Visit the SU Events Calendar to find the next offering.
Practice your language skills in casual, social environments by joining a student club or committee on campus, a sports team or fitness class, volunteer program, or faith community. These are just some examples.
- Active Living Intramurals:
- ISS Volunteer Opportunities:
- Faith and Spirituality Centre:
- GSA Groups, Committees, & Volunteer Opportunities:
- Peer Helper Program:
- SU Clubs List:
- SU Volunteer Opportunities:
- Women’s Resource Centre:
- Writing Symbols Lodge:
Use this database to find organizations or resources.
The Students Union has a searchable database of independent tutors that can help with a range of subjects. Tutors are current or past UCalgary students.
This is a term-based program that pairs students to share or learn a language. After you are matched, you meet once a week with your partner. Applications usually open at the start of fall and winter terms.
Writing Support offers creative coaching to help you become a more effective communicator. We also recognize the role that writing plays in inquiry and learning.
- One-on-one Writing Support Appointments
- Graduate Writing Community
- Undergraduate Writer Space
- and more!
Resources in the Calgary Community
There are several programs open to residents of Calgary, for adults, youth, and families with children. Some programs require registration, others are drop-in. The Calgary Public Library also provides access to newspapers and books in many languages.
Different organizations may provide resources in various languages or English Literacy Programs. Some examples include:
- Calgary Chinese Community Service Association: Stepping Stones Program
- Calgary Catholic Immigrant Society
- Immigrant Services Calgary has an ESL Directory (under Resources)
- Calgary Immigrant Women's Association: New Friends and Neighbourhood Groups
- Faith-based ESL program directory
- Use InformAlberta (211) to search resources and programs in Alberta
Note: some programs are limited to Permanent Residents or Citizens.
Join a group to meet people, make friends, practice a language, and explore your interests. There are several groups for people in Calgary who are passionate about practicing English or other language skills. Some examples include: