UCalgary campus

Extending your study permit

You can apply to extend your study permit within Canada starting 120 days prior to it expiring. You can submit your application either online or by paper.

For example, if your study permit expires on Aug. 30, you can apply to extend it starting on April 30.

COVID-19 updates

The Government of Canada has removed most COVID-19 border and travel measures. However, there is a temporary COVID-19 testing requirements for certain travellers.

For more information please visit the COVID 19 Travel Canada website 

How to extend your current study permit

You must apply online for an extension through your account on the Government of Canada's immigration website.

If you don’t have an online account, it's a free service that allows you to submit immigration applications online.

If you have an online account and don’t remember your sign in details, you can create a new account and link the new account to your old account.

Follow the steps below to apply online:

Find option to apply

Sign in to your IRCC secure account. Under your personal information, click the option that says to apply for a "Visitor Visa, Study and/or Work Permit."

Determine your eligibility

Scroll to "I do not have a personal reference code" and click "Determine your eligibility and apply online for a visitor visa, study and/or work permit."

Answer the questionnaire

Answer the questionnaire (stating you’re currently in Canada as a student). You should be given the option to extend your study permit. Continue with the questionnaire.

Complete electronic checklist

You’ll be given an electronic checklist. Fill out the application form, click the blue "validate" button to check for errors, then upload it. Upload all other documentation requested too. You can use your confirmation of registration letter in place of your acceptance letter because it’s more current.

Student studying

Documents you'll need to extend your study permit


Additional documents may be requested based on your individual circumstances.

  • UCalgary’s Designated Learning Institution  Number: O18886830282. You’ll need to enter this number on your study permit application form. Note: the first letter is O (as in Onion) and the second digit 4th from the end is 0 (zero).
  • Basic documents needed:
    • Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709] –  make sure you’re completing the correct application form. This must be validated before you upload it. Do not print and sign this form; you can’t upload a scanned IMM 5709 application form.
    • Confirmation of registration letter from UCalgary showing you’re currently enrolled full-time and that you’re enrolled in the next upcoming term (if you’re continuing your studies). DO NOT provide your original admission offer.
      • Please follow these directions to download and print your confirmation of registration letter - choose “Permit letter.”
    • Proof of financial support
      • You must be able to provide proof that you can cover the cost of your tuition plus have an additional $833/month available to you for every month you would like to extend your studies.
    • Passport
    • Photograph of yourself  – must meet the photograph specifications
  • Client information – this is a space to upload optional documents that may strengthen your application. Some students will provide a letter of explanation (in the Word document format) to explain some sort of exceptional circumstance.