THESE DETAILS MAY CHANGE. ALWAYS FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN DIRECTLY FROM IRCC.
Additional documents may be requested based on your individual circumstances.
- UCalgary’s Designated Learning Institution Number: O18886830282. You’ll need to enter this number on your study permit application form. Note: the first letter is O (as in Onion) and the second digit 4th from the end is 0 (zero).
- Basic documents needed:
- Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709] – make sure you’re completing the correct application form. This must be validated before you upload it. Do not print and sign this form; you can’t upload a scanned IMM 5709 application form.
- Confirmation of registration letter from UCalgary showing you’re currently enrolled full-time and that you’re enrolled in the next upcoming term (if you’re continuing your studies). DO NOT provide your original admission offer.
- Please follow these directions to download and print your confirmation of registration letter - choose “Permit letter.”
- Proof of financial support
- You must be able to provide proof that you can cover the cost of your tuition plus have an additional $833/month available to you for every month you would like to extend your studies.
- Photograph of yourself – must meet the photograph specifications
- Client information – this is a space to upload optional documents that may strengthen your application. Some students will provide a letter of explanation (in the Word document format) to explain some sort of exceptional circumstance.
Instructions: How to apply extend your study permit
If you have applied for a study permit extension prior to the expiry of your current study permit, you can stay in Canada. You'll have a status referred to as "maintained status," formerly known as "implied status."
Maintained status allows for you to remain in Canada, pending the processing of your application. You will be able to work and study until you receive a decision on your application.
Retain your confirmation of submission of your study permit extension application. This is your proof that you benefit from the provisions of maintained status.