USpeak Global Program
USpeak Global is a language sharing program that is open to all UCalgary international and Canadian students. If you are studying a language, have a general interest in languages, or if you enjoy helping others develop their own language skills, this program is for you!
When you submit your application, you will be matched with one or two partners who (1) speak a language that you want to practice and improve and (2) are interested in learning a language you know. You will have the chance to:
- Practice and improve your skills in the language of your choice with the support of your partner(s)
- Help your match practice and improve their skills in their language of choice by providing ongoing feedback and guidance
- Meet other students on campus who are interested in sharing and learning languages
- Gain credit on your co-curricular record (CCR)
- Meet with your match at least once a week during the semester (meetings must be held remotely via Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or any other video platform)
- Attend the new participant training session at the start of the semester (to be hosted over Zoom - date to be decided)
- Submit mid-semester and end-of-semester progress reports
- Complete ongoing goal-setting and reflection activities to track your learning
If you have any additional questions about the program, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for Winter 2021 will be close on January 15.
If we are able to find you a match, you will receive an email letting you know that a match has been found. You and your match will be introduced over email in mid-September and you will each be invited to the new participant training session. Once you have been introduced to your match, it is up to the two of you to set a regular time to meet.
Please note that we cannot guarantee that all applicants who apply will be matched. Matches are based on who applies and what languages are available in the applicant pool. If we are not able to match you, we will send you an email letting you know.