UCalgary campus

Study permit troubleshooting

Learn which steps you can take if you need to address an issue with your study permit

What to do if your study permit has already expired

Maintained Status

If you applied for your study permit extension before the expiration of your current study permit, you have what's called maintained status. You can continue studying until a decision on your study permit has been made.

Restoring status

If you did NOT apply for a study permit extension prior to expiration of your current study permit: 

  • You must apply to restore your status within 90 days of the expiry date on your study permit. 
  • There’s a $200 fee for restoring your status and an additional $150 for the study permit fee.
  • Please contact an ISS advisor for more details. 

Learn more on Restoration

UCalgary campus
Study Permit

Sample Study Permit

View a study permit and learn where to find your information

View sample study permit

What do I do if my study permit is lost or stolen?

If your study permit is lost or stolen, you must complete the steps outlined on the IRCC website. These steps include:

  • Completing an application for verification of status (VOS) or replacement of an immigration document form (IMM 5009).
  • It’s highly recommended that you also file a police report. You can submit an online police report for lost property to the Calgary Police Service. If you file a police report, include the report number on your IMM 5009 form.

Further instructions on how to submit your completed form and pay the required fee can be found on the IRCC website.

Please note that the verification of status (VOS) or replacement of an immigration document form (IMM 5009) application must be sent by mail; you submit this form online.