Writing Support offers creative coaching to help you become a more effective communicator. We also recognize the role that writing plays in inquiry and learning.
Do you want to improve your writing? Writing Support Services offers free individual writing consultations for UCalgary students. We'll support you to develop an individual writing process that'll allow you to become an independent and effective writer.
During the consultations, you can
- discuss your writing process and learn strategies to write more effectively
- review returned papers to understand how to improve your written assignments
- work with an instructor on an ongoing basis to improve essay structure, paragraph development, sentence structure, style, grammar, and punctuation
- receive information on writing papers, book reviews or other assignments
- learn how to use and document sources
- Get help with English as a second language
If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join your peers and experienced writing tutors for the new Graduate Writing Community! Tired of writing alone? Want to develop a writing routine? Need some writing accountability? Learn more below.
Evening and weekend writing consultations resume on Sept. 21, 2020.
All writing consultations are offered online via Zoom.
- Mondays 6:10 - 9 p.m.
- Tuesdays 6:10 - 9 p.m.
- Wednesdays 6:10 - 9 p.m.
- Thursdays 6:10 - 9 p.m.
- Saturdays 11:10 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Sundays 11:10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Are you registered in a distance program at the University of Calgary? Writing support services offers synchronous tutoring for distance students using Zoom. Please complete a request to access distance appointments.
Writing services are available during usual business hours, Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. While we try to accommodate students’ appointment requests as quickly as possible, both in-person and distance appointment requests are subject to availability. We encourage students to contact us a minimum of three business days in advance.
Writing Support is happy to offer an online venue for UCalgary students to submit questions from anywhere or anytime. This system allows students to submit quick citations or grammar questions. We aim for, but can't always guarantee, a turn-around time of less than a week on email requests for help. The more direct and specific the questions, the faster that we can respond. For more extensive feedback or support, please book a one-on-one appointment or visit our drop-in consultations.
Writers’ Space offers an online supportive environment for undergraduate students to work on their papers and receive structured feedback from an experienced writing tutor. You can register for Writers’ Space by logging on to https://success.ucalgary.ca/home.htm and opening up the Events/Workshops calendar.
Join us for the newly formatted Graduate Writing Community and share a supportive virtual space with others while writing. Increase your writing productivity and add an element of structure to your writing sessions by setting a writing goal. Receive feedback on your writing from writing tutors and connect with other students in this virtual space.
What to expect:
- Set a writing goal(s) at the start of the session.
- Receive feedback on your writing from experienced writing tutors
- Experience a supportive environment by discuss writing with your peers
- Add accountability by revisiting your writing goals at the end of each session
Graduate Writing Community is limited to 12 students per session. These sessions differ from regular writing appointments. Two writing tutors will offer feedback to students each for a maximum of 10 minutes each time. Prepare for your 10 minutes by identifying a suitable length of writing for the tutor to review and prepare a question to ask the writing tutor. The tutors will aim to see each student twice during the session.
A zoom invitation and password will be emailed immediately before the session starts: it is important that you do not distribute the zoom link and password to other students.
Poor internet connection, time zone or computer availability preventing you from accessing writing support?
If you are experiencing issues attending writing support in person, Writing Support Services will try to accommodate your writing needs by offering asynchronous appointments (appointments not attended in person). Each request is reviewed on a case by case basis. Please allow 48 hours for your request to be approved.
To book an asynchronous online writing support appointment
- Book an open appointment as usual.
- Email email@example.com to request the appointment to be changed to asynchronous.
- In the email, provide an explanation of why you need the appointment to be asynchronous, and also the date and time of your appointment.
Writing Support offers writing workshops designed with both undergraduates and graduate students in mind.
Undergraduate Writing Workshops
Through the fall and winter semesters, Writing Support offers workshops that all University of Calgary students can attend.
Graduate Writing Workshops
Through the fall and winter semesters, Writing Support offers workshops that all University of Calgary students can attend. These workshops are designed for students entering or enrolled in a graduate program.
Resources: Writing Support
- MLA (8th Ed.): Citation style typically used in English and Film
- APA (7th Ed.): Citation style typically used in Education, Communication, Business and Nursing
- APA (6th Ed.): Citation style typically used in Education, Communication, Business and Nursing
- Chicago: Citation style typically used in History
- CSE: Citation style typically used in the Sciences
- IEEE: Citation style typically used in Engineering
- Vancouver: Citation style typically used in Biomedical Sciences