Helpful tools to navigate campus:
This is a helpful tool that can locate your classroom: https://ucmapspro.ucalgary.ca/RoomFinder/
All buildings located in our campuses have their own acronyms. For example, MSC (sometimes MH) stands for MacEwan Student Center; TFDL stands for Taylor Family Digital Library. You may want to familiarize yourself with those acronyms.
For instance, location of the International Student Services is MSC 275: enter the MacEwan Building, 2nd floor and look for room 275 (most of the times, the first figure indicates the floor where the classroom/office is located).
Check out this helpful guide compiled by an international student leader! This guide can help you get acquainted with some campus resources and spaces—and include some helpful tips along the way. Use them to guide your independent walk or while you virtually explore campus through Google maps.
Check out the Winter 2022 guide!
Many international students find it helpful to talk to a current UCalgary student before they start their studies. Consider:
- Connecting with a peer mentor before you start your studies. Mentors can answer questions about campus resources and help explain how to get around! Learn more on the International Student Mentorship Program.
- Meeting with a Welcome Centre student advisor virtually! This service is available August 20- September 4, Monday-Friday, 9:30 - 4 MST (Calgary time). Learn more on the Welcome Centre website.
If you’re ever lost on campus, never be afraid to ask another student or passerby for directions. Even though campus may feel big, people are usually friendly and helpful to direct you where you need to be.
- Social & Wellness Events: Check out the newsletters, social media, and websites for these offices to learn about free-events:
- Campus Community Hub
- Faith and Spirituality Centre
- International Student Services
- Leadership & Student Engagement (Unwind & UCalgary Meet-Up)
- Residence Services (if living on campus)
- Wellness Centre
- Women’s Resource Centre
- Writing Symbols Lodge
- Student Union & Associations: Learn about the services and events provided through the Students Union or Graduate Students Association. Some student clubs arrange discounts for events or services around Calgary.
- UCalgary Services: You pay student fees each term! Make sure you take advantage of the services and programs that are offered to you for no additional cost:
- Active Living: access to fitness facilities (gymnasium, weight room, swimming pool, running track, racquet centre, climbing wall; students receive a $25 credit each year)
- Career Services: advising and workshops to support your job search & success
- International Student Services: immigration advising
- Library: research support and access to academic resources
- Student Success Centre: free advising and workshops