Get Support

If you have been impacted by sexual violence, we believe you and can connect you to services, inform you of your rights, help you think through options, or just listen. 

Where to Start

Everyone responds to sexual violence, accesses supports, and heals from trauma in their own way. 

The Sexual Violence Support Advocate is here to support you, and help you determine what is right for you.  

Tell Yourself

Sometimes the first person we need to tell is ourselves. Too often we convince ourselves that "it wasn't so bad" or that it was our fault. Remember that you are not to blame regardless of what you were wearing, what you drank, where you were, or who you were with.

Consider Sharing with Someone

Sharing with someone can be an important step in the healing process. Opening up is never easy, but sharing with a trusted friend, family member, co-worker or advisor can give you the support you need to heal.  

Seek Medical Care

Even if there are no obvious injuries or you don't want to report your experience, it is important to seek medical attention if the act of violence recently occurred. The Sexual Violence Support Advocate can help you with that process - even accompanying you to a health care provider. 

Connect with Support

There are numerous supports listed below. Connect with the sexual violence support advocate. They are here to listen to you and will help you make an informed decision about next steps, if and when you choose to do so. 

Meet the Sexual Violence Support Advocate

Carla Bertsch is the university's inaugural sexual violence support advocate. She is the recommended first point of contact for anyone who has been impacted by sexual or gender-based violence.

Watch this short video to learn more about her role and what accessing support may look and feel like. 

Connect to Services

There are a number of supports, both on- and off-campus that are available if you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence. 

If you are in danger, or for imminent life-threatening situations, call 9-1-1. 

T: 403-220-2208   E:

Carla Bertsch, the Sexual Violence Support Advocate provides confidential support and care for any university community member impacted by sexual violence, whether it occurred on- or off-campus, or before you came to UCalgary. 

With your consent, she can help you with: 

  • Informing you of and advocating for your rights
  • Academic, professional, or residence accommodations
  • Referrals to counselling, medical and legal services
  • Self-care resources
  • Reporting options available on- and off-campus
  • Navigating systems and resources on campus or in the community
  • Accompanying you to appointments (medical, police, HR etc.) 
  • Safety planning
  • Educating on sexual violence and trauma
  • Being there to listen
  1. Wellness Centre (Students)

    T: 403-210-9355

    Counselling services are located in the Wellness Centre in the MacEwan Student Centre, Room 370. Counselling is available to UCalgary students during regular business hours. 


  2. Women's Resource Centre

    T: 403-220-8551   E:

    The Women’s Resource Centre provides a safe, supportive place while advancing gender equality and building community. The WRC is located in the MacEwan Student Centre, Room 482. 

  3. Q Centre

    T: 403-220-4460   E:

    The SU Q Centre for sexual and gender diversity is a safe, comfortable and inviting space for the LGBTQA2S+ community. The Q Centre is located in the MacEwan Student Centre, Room 210. 

  4. Staff Wellness

    T: 403-220-2918

    Staff Wellness aims to support and sustain the health and wellness of faculty and staff at UCalgary. In addition to offering confidential support, they can connect you to resources. 

  5. Writing Symbols Lodge

    T: 403-220-6034

    The Writing Symbols Lodge provides academic, personal and cultural support services and programs to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit students, and offers a welcoming environment for the entire campus community. 

  6. Protected Disclosure

    T: 403-220-4086

    The Protected Disclosure Advisor is a confidential resource available to the campus community and is located within the Office of Diversity, Equity and Protected Disclosure. 

  1. Alberta's One Line for Sexual Violence

    T: 1-866-403-8000 (toll free) 

    One Line is an Alberta-wide text, call and chat service staffed by specialized responders from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week. Responders will listen, provide support and information, and share resources for anyone impacted by sexual violence. Services are anonymous and are available in more than 200 languages.


  2. The Distress Centre Calgary

    T: 403-266-4357

    The Distress Centre Calgary is a 24-hour crisis line that can offer immediate, confidential support.

  3. Homewood Health (Employees)

    T: 1-800-663-1142 (toll free)

    Homewood Health Employee and Family Assistance Plan is a confidential service available to employees and dependents at no cost. Homewood Health offers a variety of services, including counselling and legal consultation and can be contacted 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

  4. ConfidenceLine

    T: 1-800-661-9675

    ConfidenceLine is an anonymous hotline available to the UCalgary community. They are recognized as the pioneer whistle-blower and ethics reporting systems in Canada. 

  1. Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse

    T: 1-877-237-5888 (toll free)

    Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse (CCASA) is the primary sexual abuse and sexual assault crisis service provider for Calgary. CCASA can provide various services including immediate crisis support and counselling. 

  2. Awo Taan

    T: 403-534-1972 or 403-531-1976

    The Awo Taan Healing Lodge is a 32-bed, full service emergency shelter that provides services to women and children from all cultures. The Awo Taan Healing Lodge Society is dedicated to supporting the emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual healing and wellbeing of women during their time of crisis and beyond. They can be contacted 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

  3. Connect Family and Sexual Abuse Network

    T: 403-237-5888

    The Connect Family and Sexual Abuse Network can connect you to a network of people and agencies who can provide support for sexual or domestic violence or abuse. They can also provide referrals to medical and related services. 

  1. Calgary Sexual Assault Response Team

    T: 403-955-6030

    CSART provides 24-hour specialized care for anyone who has been sexually assaulted, including a comprehensive examination, treatment of injuries and collection of forensic evidence within 96 hours of assault. CSART is located at the Sheldon Chumir Health Centre.

    For more information, see this video

  2. Calgary STI Clinic

    T: 403-955-6700

    The Calgary STI Clinic provides testing, treatment and counselling for sexually transmitted infections and HIV. The clinic is located at the Sheldon M. Chumir Health Centre at 1213 4 St. SW on the 5th floor. No appointment necessary, walk-ins are welcome. 

  3. Health Link Alberta

    T: 8-1-1

    Health Link can be contacted by dialing 8-1-1. They can provide referrals to medical and related services in 200 different languages from a registered nurse

  1. Centre for Sexuality

    T: 403-283-5580

    The Centre for Sexuality delivers programs and services around sexual health, sexual identity, gender orientation and sexuality. The centre offers a safe space and support for members of the LGBTQ2S+ community and allies.

  2. Skipping Stone Foundation

    T: 587-333-4342

    The Skipping Stone Foundation supports and empowers trans and gender diverse youth and their families through mental health support, peer support, community building events and medical transition related services. 

  3. Calgary Outlink

    T: 403-234-8973

    Calgary Outlink is a welcoming space that provides support, education, outreach and referrals for the LGBTQ2S+ and allied community. 

  1. Child Abuse Hotline

    T: 1-800-387-5437

    The Child Abuse Hotline offers help if you, or children you know, are being neglected, abused or sexually exploited. The hotline is available in multiple languages, 24-hours, seven days a week. 

  2. Calgary & Area Child Advocacy Centre

    T: 403-428-5300

    The Calgary and Area Child Advocacy Centre provides services to assess, investigate, intervene and support survivors of child abuse. Services include therapy, medical and advocacy among others.  

  3. Canadian Centre for Male Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse

    The Canadian Centre for Male Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse offers confidential thrapy with specially trained therapists to male survivors over the age of 18. 


Healing from Trauma

Sexual violence can impact you in many ways and you may experience a wide range of emotions and physical symptoms. There is no right or wrong way to feel or react. 

Get Emotional Support

You are not alone. Talk to the Sexual Violence Support Advocate, call a distress line, or get support from a peer or family member. 

Practice Self-Care

Self-care can be helpful in the healing process. Take time to do something that makes you feel safe or brings you joy. That could include exercising, taking a bath, reading a book, spending time with a loved one, painting, watching a movie or anything else that makes you feel secure.

Make Your Voice Heard

Speaking out about sexual violence and rape culture can be empowering for some survivors, if and when they are ready. Alternatively, you may choose to tell no one, share your story anonymously, or confide in trusted friends or family. Anything you choose is the right decision for you.

Reporting Options

Should you choose, there are various formal and informal reporting options available, both on-campus and off. To make a disclosure, file a formal report, or talk through the options available to you, contact the Sexual Violence Support Advocate for confidential support at 403-220-2280 or by email

Reporting on Campus

Anyone who witnesses or experiences an act of sexual violence may choose to file a non-criminal, formal report on campus. There are a variety of options to address allegations against any member of the university community, including students, employees, academic staff, appointees, postdoctoral scholars, contractors or volunteers. 

Filing a formal report may trigger an on-campus investigation. For information and support on the investigation process, contact the Sexual Violence Support Advocate. 

Reporting to the Police

Individuals may report acts of sexual violence through the criminal justice system by contacting the Calgary Police Service or the law enforcement agency where the incident occurred (ex: RCMP). 

For more information or support in filing a police report, contact the Sexual Violence Support Advocate. 

Alberta Human Rights Commission

Sexual harassment and violence are considered a form of discrimination based on the grounds of gender, which is prohibited under the Alberta Human Rights Act. Individuals who have experienced sexual harassment or violence can make complaints to the Alberta Human Rights Commission. 

To learn more about the process, contact the Sexual Violence Support Advocate. 

Civil Lawsuit

You may choose to file a civil lawsuit against the person or persons who caused you harm. Should you choose this option, the Sexual Violence Support Advocate can help connect you with legal support for advising and to file a civil suit.