Are you new to Canada? Are you learning in a second language? The Student Success Centre provides programming and advising for international students.
International Student Advising
International students coming to UCalgary often face the challenges of adapting to a new educational system and an unfamiliar culture while also learning to effectively communicate in a second language. The Student Success Centre and International Student Services work closely together to support the academic needs of our international student population.
Undergraduate and graduate international students from all faculties are invited to meet with the academic development specialist (international) at the Student Success Centre
Get help with:
- time management
- language development
- reading and writing skills
- general support transitioning to the Canadian academic context
International students or students with English as a second language can book through the Student Success Centre for a one-on-one consultation with the academic development specialist (international) regarding academic or cultural issues.
Help available to all students:
- Reading and writing in a second language
- Paraphrasing and using sources
- Communicating in a Canadian context
- Presentation skills
- Academic expectations at UCalgary
- Improving language fluency
- Current events and discussion, Tuesdays 12:30 - 2 p.m. TFDL 364
- TED talks and discussion, Thursdays 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. TFDL 364
Enjoy a short video or news clip and then participate in a friendly and interesting discussion facilitated by the SSC international program tutors.
RWRD (Read, Write, Review, Develop) is an ongoing program at the Student Success Centre with registration occurring in spring, summer, fall and winter terms.
There are limited spaces available in the Winter 2020 program for new students. Interested students should contact Jennifer Parsons at firstname.lastname@example.org. Whether or not you have a place in RWRD, you are also welcome to use these resources to support your language development and academic writing skills.
Join us for Grad Writing Community
- Tired of writing your thesis alone? Join the Graduate Writing Community for weekly Monday and Thursday afternoon sessions in a sunny space on the 3rd floor of the TFDL. Drop in writing tutoring and informative break out sessions run weekly.
Writing Support Services
- Writing Support Services offers free individual writing consultations for University of Calgary students who want to improve their writing. We support students to develop individual writing processes that allow them to become independent and effective writers. Book an appointment https://success.ucalgary.ca/home.htm. Please note that Writing Support tutors will be available beginning September 23.
The Graduate Writing Community is ongoing. Please register through our Events calendar for each time you plan to attend.