Are you new to Canada? Are you learning in a second language? The Student Success Centre provides programming and advising for international students.
International Student Advising
International students coming to UCalgary often face the challenges of adapting to a new educational system and an unfamiliar culture while also learning to effectively communicate in a second language. The Student Success Centre and International Student Services work closely together to support the academic needs of our international student population.
Undergraduate and graduate international students from all faculties are invited to access the following free services at the Student Success Centre
Individual Academic Development Support
International students can book through the Student Success Centre for a one-on-one consultation with Jennifer Parsons, the academic development specialist (international) regarding academic or cultural issues including:
- time management
- reading and writing skills
- preparing for tests and exams
- general support transitioning to the Canadian academic context
Academic planning support
International students are offered the opportunity to request additional supports at any stage of their academic program. These are designed to support students with English as an additional language and are especially useful for International graduate students hoping to generally improve their written and spoken English and adjust to the Canadian academic environment or who are looking for short-term supports as they approach writing or presentation deadlines.
Students who are permanent residents or Canadian citizens but whose first language is not English are also welcome to apply.
These writing community sessions provide a dedicated writing space with additional writing support. There are Writing Support tutors present for both on-the-spot help and booked 30-minute appointments. You can sign up for an appointment when you arrive or the roaming tutor will be happy to answer quick questions in the work area. Feel free to bring your own coffee, tea, and snack.
- Graduate Writing Community (graduate students only): Mondays 1:00-4:00 Student Success Centre (TFDL 364)
- Writers’ Space (undergraduate and graduate students): Wednesdays 1:00-3:30 International Student Services (MSC 275)
- Graduate Writing Community (graduate students only): Thursdays 1:00-4:00 Student Success Centre (TFDL 364)
Writing Support Consultations
Writing Support offers free, individual writing consultations for University of Calgary students who want to improve their writing. During the appointment, you can:
- Discuss your writing process and learn strategies to write more effectively
- Review returned papers to understand how to improve your written assignments
- Work with a tutor on an ongoing basis to improve essay structure, paragraph development, sentence structure, style, grammar, and punctuation
- Receive information on writing papers, book reviews or other assignments
- Learn how to use and document sources
- Get help with English as an additional language
The Graduate Writing Community is ongoing. Please register through our Events calendar for each time you plan to attend.