E-scooters are on campus
The university has partnered with the City of Calgary to test the viability of the personal vehicles on campus. A pilot program has launched and Bird-brand scooters are available to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
E-Scooters reduce automobile use and encourage healthy lifestyles by providing a new transportation option on campus.
Renting a scooter is a fun and convenient way to travel short distances on main campus and will also be available for transportation between main and Foothills campus. Here are some things to know before you hop on:
- Download the Bird App to find the closest available scooter. You can also reserve one up to 30 minutes in advance.
- A centralized no-riding zone has been established on campus; the motor in your scooter will automatically stop once you enter the zone (see map below).
- Bird scooters have a speed limit of 20 km/h, but once on campus, they slow down to a maximum of 15 km/h.
- Park with care. After your ride, use the kickstand and park it in a designated “Bird Nest” on campus, or near a bike rack (see map below). If not parked properly, the user will be charged.
- Scooters can be used between Foothills and main campus, including the Child Development Centre and the physical plant.
- Helmets are encouraged.
- E-scooters will cost $1.15 to unlock and 35 cents per minute to ride.
- Birds are not cleaned or disinfected between customers. We recommend each rider use a pre-moistened disinfectant wipe before their ride. We strongly recommend each rider wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after using the equipment. Please avoid touching your face during the ride!
How to ride
Scan to start
To start your ride, scan the Bird’s QR code with the Bird app.
Hop on and go
Place one foot on the Bird, push off, and press the throttle.
Park with care
After your ride, use the kickstand, and park it in a designated Bird Nest on campus, or near a bike rack.