Recognize and refer
Worried about a student, staff or faculty member?
Think someone you know may be in distress?
You can help by providing support, normalizing help seeking behaviour, and referring them to appropriate resources.
Responding with care and concern are critical factors in supporting a healthy campus community.
Call 911 for all imminent life-threatening situations. For all other safety concerns, call Campus Security at 403.220.5333.
Responding with care and concern are critical factors in supporting our community.
Walk through steps for helping by reading or watching the below content.
- Trust your instincts
- It’s okay to ask and express concern
- Be specific about the behaviour that worries you
- Listen with an open mind
- Ask questions to help understand the situation
- Acknowledge thoughts and feelings
- Offer hope and help
- Provide information about resources
- Encourage help-seeking
- Offer to help them connect with resources