Dr. Kathryn Schneider
PT, PhD, DipManiPT
Clinical Specialist - Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy
Certificate in Vestibular Rehabilitation
Kathryn Schneider is an Associate Professor and Clinician Scientist (Physiotherapist) at the Sport Injury Prevention Research Centre, Faculty of Kinesiology at the University of Calgary. Her research focuses on the prevention, detection and treatment of sport-related concussion. Her work has identified a large treatment effect using multimodal physiotherapy and vestibular rehabilitation, significant changes in cervical spine function following concussion in youth ice hockey players (2018 JOSPT Excellence in Research Award) and identified symptoms of dizziness, neck pain and headaches as risk factors for concussion in youth. She also led the development of a Massive Open Online Course on Concussion at the University of Calgary in collaboration with her colleague Dr. Pierre Fremont (Universite Laval) which has engaged over 12,000 participants in the first two iterations of the course.
Kathryn is a Clinical Specialist in Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy, a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Manipulative Physiotherapists and has expertise and certification in vestibular rehabilitation. She was recognized by Avenue Magazine as “Top 40 Under 40” in 2012 and was the recipient of the Vestibular Disorders Association (VEDA) Champion of Vestibular Medicine Award in 2015. She has been involved as an Expert Panelist and lead author for systematic reviews evaluating the effects of treatment at the 4th, 5th and 6th International Consensus Conferences on Concussion in Sport, and Scientific Committee member and lead for the methodology informing the 5th and 6th International Consensus Conferences on Concussion in Sport (http://www.concussionconference.org).
Invited speaking highlights include the 4th, 5th and as co-chair of the upcoming 6th International Consensus Conferences on Concussion in Sport, International Olympic Committee (IOC) medical meetings at the Sochi, Rio and PyeongChang Olympic games, and many additional International and National sport meetings. Her clinical practice focuses on the treatment of recreational to elite/professional athletes with ongoing symptoms following sport-related concussion. Over the past 10+ years, she has worked with many local, provincial and national sport organizations and health care teams to develop and implement evidence-based concussion protocols and processes. She is a member of the Federal Government Working Group on Concussion in Sport and is the co-lead of the integrated Knowledge Translation and Patient and Stakeholder engagement committee of the Canadian Concussion Network.
- Wittevrongel, K., Barrett, O., Couloigner, I. et al. Longitudinal trends in incidence and health care use for pediatric concussion in Alberta, Canada. Pediatr Res. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41390-022-02214-5.
- Crampton A, Schneider KJ, Grilli L, Chevignard M, Katz-Leurer M, Beauchamp MH, Debert C and Gagnon IJ (2022) Characterizing the evolution of oculomotor and vestibulo-ocular function over time in children and adolescents after a mild traumatic brain injury. Front. Neurol. 13:904593. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2022.904593. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35928133/
- Crampton A, Schneider KJ, Grilli L, Chevignard M, Katz-Leurer M, Beauchamp MH, Debert C, Gagnon IJ. Determining the Agreement Between Common Measures Related to Vestibulo-ocular Reflex Function After a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in Children and Adolescents. Archives of Rehabilitation Research and Clinical Translation. 2022 July 22:100217. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590109522000453
- Schneider KJ, Patricios J, Echemendia RJ, Makdissi M, Davis GA, Ahmed OH, Blauwet C, Dvorak J, Engebretsen L. Concussion in sport: the consensus process continues. British Journal of Sports Medicine Published Online First: 06 May 2022. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2022-105673. https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2022/05/12/bjsports-2022-105673
- Colm Fuller, Éanna Falvey, Kathryn Schneider. Reliability of a novel neck strength device in schoolboy rugby players. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice. 2022. ePub. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msksp.2022.102566. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468781222000650
- Shepherd HA, van Rassel CR, Black AM, Graham RF, Yeates KO, Emery CA, Schneider KJ. Feasibility and Reliability of a Novel Game-Based Test of Neurological Function in Youth: The Equilibrium Test Battery. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2022 Apr 1;17(3):378-389. PMID: 35391865; PMCID: PMC8975567.
- Mercier LJ, Batycky J, Campbell C, Schneider K, Smirl J, Debert CT. Autonomic dysfunction in adults following mild traumatic brain injury: A systematic review. NeuroRehabilitation. 2022;50(1):3-32. Doi: 10.3233/NRE-210243.
- Sorak G, Gagnon I, Schneider K, Chevignard M, Stern N, Fadida Y, Kalderon L, Shaklai S, Katz-Leurer M. Changes in the Cardiac Autonomic Control System during rehabilitation in Children after Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2022.
- Burma J, Cameron B, Jasinovic T, Lun V, van Rassel CR, Sutter B, Wiley JP, Schneider KJ. The effect of an exertional field-test on Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 5 subcomponents in University rugby and wrestling athletes: A pilot prospective case series Physical Therapy in Sport. 2022;5(55)21-27. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35152145/
- Shill IJ, West SW, Sick S, Schneider K, Hagel BE, Pasanen K, Wiley JP, Emery CA, Black AM. Injuries and Concussions in Female High School Rugby: Prevention is Worth a Try. Clin J Sport Med November 2021 doi: 10.1097/JSM.0000000000000993 (Epub ahead of print)
- Emery CA, Eliason P, Warriyar KV, Palacios-Derflingher L, Black AM, Krolikowski M, Spencer N, Sick S, Kozak S, Schneider KJ, Babul S, Mrazik M, Lebrun C, Goulet C, Macpherson A, Hagel BE. Body checking in non-elite adolescent ice hockey leagues: it is never too late for policy change aiming to protect the health of adolescents. BJSM Accepted. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34016603/
- Graham R, van Rassel CR, Burma JS, Rutschmann TD, Miutz LN, Sutter B, Schneider KJ. Concurrent validity of a stationary cycling test and the Buffalo concussion treadmill test in adults with concussion. 2021. Journal of Athletic Training. Accepted.
- Banman CJ, Schneider KJ, Cluff T, Peters RM. Altered vestibular balance function in combat sport athletes. Journal of Neurotrauma. Accepted.
- Emery CA, Warriyar V, Black AM, Palacios-Derflingher L, Sick S, Debert C, Brooks BL, Yeates KO, Mrazik M, Lebrun C, Hagel BE, Schneider KJ. Factors associated with clinical recovery following concussion in youth ice hockey players. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine (OJSM).
- Feinberg C, Carr C, Zemek R, Yeates KO, Master C, Schneider K, Bell MJ, Wisniewski S, Mannix R. Association of pharmacological interventions with symptom burden reduction in patients with mild traumatic brain injury. A systematic review. JAMA Neurology. Accepted Dec 2020. Epub Jan 19, 2021 https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2774864 DOI: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2020.5079
- Sorek G, Gagnon I, Schneider K, Chevignard M, Stern N, Fadida Y, Kalderon L, Shaklai S, Katz-Leurer M. The integrated functions of the cardiac autonomic and vestibular/oculomotor systems in adolescents following severe traumatic brain injury and typically developing controls. Brain Injury. 2020. Sep 18;34(11):1480-1488 https://doi.org/10.1080/02699052.2020.1807055
- Rutschmann TD, Miutz LN, Toomey CM, Yeates KO, Emery CA. Schneider KJ. Changes in exertion-related symptoms in adults and youth who have sustained a sport-related concussion. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2021 Jan;24(1):2-6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2020.06.005
- McFarlane LH, Burles F, Yeates KO, Schneider KJ, Iaria G. A pilot study evaluating the effects of concussion on the ability to form cognitive maps for spatial orientation. 2020; 34(8): 1112-1117. Brain Injury. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699052.2020.1773537
- Fremont P, Schneider K, Laroche A, Emery C, Yeates K. Could a massive open online course be part of the solution to sport-related concussion? Participation and impact among 8368 registrants. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine. 2020;6:e0007000.
- Manaseer TS, Whittaker JL, Isaac C, Schneider KJ, Roberts MR, Gross DP. The reliability of clinical balance tests under single-task and dual tasking testing paradigms in uninjured active youth and young adults. International Journal of Sport Physical Therapy. 2020 Aug;15(4):487-500. https://spts.org/member-benefits-detail/enjoy-member-benefits/journals/ijspt/v15-n4
- Chisolm DA. Black AM, Palacios-Derflingher L, Elisaon PH, Schneider KJ, Emery CA, Hagel BE. Mouthguard use in youth ice hockey and the risk of concussion: Nested case-control study of 315 cases. BJSM. 2020;54;14. https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/54/14/86
- Register-Mihalik JK, Guskiewicz KM, Marshall SW, McCulloch KL, Mihalik JP1, Martin Mrazik, Murphy I, Naidu D, Ranapurwala SI, Schneider K, Gildner P, McCrea M, and the Active Rehab Study Consortium Investigators. (2019). Methodology and implementation of a randomized controlled trial (RCT) for early post-concussion rehabilitation: The Active Rehab Study. Frontiers in Neurology.2019;10:1176 doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.01176.eCollection 2019.
- Lishchynsky JT, Rutschmann TD, Toomey CM, Palacios-Derflingher L, Yeates KO, Emery CA, Schneider KJ. The association between moderate and vigorous physical activity and time to medical clearance to return to play following sport-related concussion in youth ice hockey players. Frontiers Neurology. 2019;10:588. Published online 2019 Jun 6. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00588 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6563761/pdf/fneur-10-00588.pdf
- Black AM, Miutz LN, Eliason PH, Schneider KJ, Yeates KO, Emery CA. Baseline performance of high school rugby players on the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool (SCAT5). 2020. Feb;55(2):116-123. Journal of Athletic Training. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7017900/pdf/i1062-6050-55-2-116.pdf
- Schneider KJ. Concussion: Part I: The need for a multifaceted assessment. (Invited Masterclass article) Musculoskeletal Science & Practice. ePub ahead of print 2019 Jul;42:140-150. doi: 10.1016/j.msksp.2019.05.007 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2468781219302152
- Schneider KJ. Concussion: Part II: Rehabilitation – The need for a multifaceted approach. (Invited Masterclass article) Musculoskeletal Science & Practice. 2019;Jul:42:151-161. Doi: 10.1016/j.msksp.2019.01.006 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2468781219300177
- Schneider KJ, Emery CA, Black A, Yeates KO, Debert CT, Lun V, Meeuwisse WH. Adapting the dynamic, recursive model of sport injury to concussion: An individualized approach to concussion prevention, detection, assessment and treatment. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019;49(11):799-810. doi:10.2519/jospt.2019.8926. https://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2019.8926.
- Rebekah Mannix, Michael Bell, Roger Zemek, Kristy Arbogast, Shireen Atabaki, Mohammed Badawy, Miriam Beauchamp, Darcy Beer, Steven Bi, Brett Burstein, William Craig, Dan Corwin, Quynh Doan, Michael Ellis, Stephen Freedman, Isabelle Gagnon, Jocelyn Gravel, John Leddy, Angela Lumba-Brown, Christina Master, Andy Mayer, Grace Park, Michelle Penque, Tara Rhine, Kelly Russell, Kathryn Schneider, Keith O. Yeates, Stephen Wisniewski. Practice Patterns in Pharmacologic and Non-pharmacologic Therapies for Children with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A survey of 15 North American Centers. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2019;36(20). doi.org/10.1089/neu.2018.6290
- Putukian M, Echemendia RJ, Chiampas GT, Dvorak J, Mendelbaum BR, Lemak LJ, Kirkendall DT, Broglio S, Castellani R, Giza C, Huggins R, Kaminski T, Keating M, Kontos A, Leddy J, Loyden J, Mihalik J, Meuwisse W, Parsons J, Pieroth E, Purcell L, Schneider K, Serafini S, Smith I, Solomon G, Thomsen G, Tierney R, Turner M. Head injury in soccer summit: From science to the field; summary of the Head Injury Summit held in April 2017, New York, New York. BJSM 2019;53(21):1332 doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2018-100232. https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/bjsports/53/21/1332.full.pdf
- Schneider KJ, Meeuwisse WH, Palacios-Derflingher L, Emery CA. Changes in measures of cervical spine, vestibulo-ocular reflex, dynamic balance and dynamic attention following sport-related concussion in elite youth ice hockey players. JOSPT. 2018;48(12):974-981. (Received the JOSPT 2018 Excellence in Research award) Manuscript: https://www.jospt.org/doi/abs/10.2519/jospt.2018.8258
Excellence in Research award: https://www.jospt.org/doi/abs/10.2519/jospt.2019.0101?af=R
- Broglio SP, Kontos AP, Levin H, Schneider K, Wilde EA, Cantu RC, Feddermann-Demont N, Fuller GW, Gagnon I, Gioia GA, Giza C, Griesbach GS, Leddy JJ, Lipton ML, Mayer AR, McAllister TW, McCrea M, McKenzie L, Putukian M, Signoretti S, Suskauer SJ, Tamburro R, Turner M, Yeates KO, Zemek R, Ala’I S, Esterlitz J, Gay K, Bellgowan PSF, Joseph K. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and Department of Defense Sport-Related Concussion Common Data Elements Version 1.0 Recommendations. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2018;35(23):2776-2783.
- Fremont P, Schneider K. New Recommendations on Sport-Related Concussions: Stronger Methodology, Practical Messages and Remaining Challenges. CJSM. 2019;29(6):439-441. doi: 10.1097/JSM.0000000000000556
- Schneider KJ, Meeuwisse WH, Barlow KM, Emery CA. Cervico-vestibular rehabilitation following sport-related concussion: A follow-up study. (Research letter) BJSM 2018. 52:100-101. https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/52/2/100