The University of Calgary offers awards to student athletes enrolled full-time who are participating on Dinos athletic teams. Student athletes may be eligible for other awards at the University of Calgary – please refer to award categories listed elsewhere in this Calendar.
Athletic Awards are offered annually and are subject to Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) regulations. For further information, contact the Director of Athletics, Faculty of Kinesiology (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Entering student athletes: Students entering an undergraduate degree program at the University of Calgary directly from high school must have a final admission average of 80.0% or greater, as calculated by the Admissions Office.
Entering students who are officially transferring into a recognized University of Calgary undergraduate degree program from another post-secondary institution must have an official transfer GPA of 2.00 or greater, as calculated by the Admissions Office.
Students in their first year of studies in an undergraduate degree program at the University of Calgary who do not meet either of the above two requirements may be nominated in May of year one to receive a “First Year Athletic Award.” To be eligible, a minimum GPA of 2.00 completed on at least 18.00 units taken over the previous Fall and Winter Terms is required.
- Continuing student athletes: Students continuing in an undergraduate degree program (years two, three, four, etc.) must have earned a minimum GPA of 2.00 on at least 18.00 units completed at the University of Calgary over the previous Fall and Winter Terms.
- Visiting students or students attending the University of Calgary on a Letter of Permission are not eligible for Athletic Awards.
An awards application is not required. The Student Awards Office, in consultation with the Department of Athletics, receives and approves the nominations for these awards from coaches of Dinos athletic teams. Please contact the Student Awards Office for additional questions about the process or eligibility requirements.
- Grades from courses completed in the Spring and Summer Terms are not used by the Student Awards Office in calculating the GPA requirements for receiving an Athletic Award.
- Notification: Successful recipients (continuing students) are notified by email in January; successful recipients of the First Year Athletic Awards are notified in June at the end of their first year of studies.
- Registration Requirement(s): Recipients must maintain full-time enrolment (minimum of 3 courses/9 units per term) at all times during the immediate Fall and Winter Terms.
- Payment: With the exception of the Athletic First Year Awards, which are paid directly to the recipients at the end of June, award payments are automatically applied to outstanding winter tuition and fees. Excess award funds are processed by the end of February (Winter Term) and are deposited into the student's bank account. Award recipients must provide their banking information to the university through the online Student Centre (https://my.ucalgary.ca). Award values stated as 'tuition and fees' do not include differential tuition fees.