UofC " This Is Now

Search Calendar:

Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Fee Payment Deadlines
Academic Schedule
Examinations Schedule
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student Services
Undergraduate Admissions
Academic Regulations
Tuition and General Fees
English for Academic Purposes Program
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Environmental Design
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Nursing
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Co-operative Education/Internship
Continuing Education
Awards and Financial Assistance
Application Deadlines, Procedures and Policies
Admission Awards
Seymour Schulich Scholarships and Awards
Chancellor's Club Scholarships
High School Awards
Transfer Awards
Continuing Undergraduate Awards
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Awards
Faculty of Law Awards
Faculty of Medicine Awards
Medical Elective Awards
Athletic Awards
Graduating Awards (Convocation Awards) for Undergraduate Students
Graduate Studies Awards
Government Student Aid Plans
About the University of Calgary
Who's Who
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
University of Calgary Calendar 2010-2011 Awards and Financial Assistance Government Student Aid Plans
Government Student Aid Plans

Alberta students:

Alberta residents who require financial assistance to pursue post-secondary education may obtain student loans through Alberta Students Finance. This department administers both Province of Alberta and Canada Student Loan Programs. Although students complete one application to be considered for both loan programs, they must be handled as two separate loans upon receipt of the funds. To be eligible for government student loans, students must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents and must be registered and maintain full-time status in their program of post-secondary study. Note: As policies and guidelines are revised frequently, students are encouraged to visit the following website for the most up-to-date information regarding government student loans, grants and bursaries offered through the Province of Alberta: http://alis.alberta.ca.

Out-of-province students:

Assistance is also available to students who are considered to be residents of other provinces. Non-Alberta students should contact their provincial funding office directly to obtain detailed information regarding student loans, grants and bursaries offered through their province. Links to the out-of-province government student loan websites are available from the Student Awards and Financial Aid website: http://www.ucalgary.ca/awards.


Government student loans normally are approved when the financial resources available to students from parents, summer work, part-time earnings or other sources are insufficient to meet the estimated educational costs of full-time study.  An application for a government sponsored loan is assessed according to need using this formula: (Allowable expenses) – (Resources) = Loans and Grants Assistance

Between the Canada Student Loan Program and the Alberta Students Finance Act, the maximum student loan available for an academic year (Fall/Winter) is normally $13,300. Provincial loans cannot be issued which would increase the total Canada and Alberta student loan indebtedness beyond the following lifetime loan limits set for the following programs of study:

  • Undergraduate: $50,000
  • Graduate Studies (Masters): $60,000
  • Master of Business Administration (MBA): $60,000
  • Graduate Studies (Doctoral): $70,000
  • Medicine (MD Program): $95,000
  • Law: $70,000
  • Veterinary Medicine: $60,000

All new and subsequent loan applicants are encouraged to apply online through their provincial funding office.  For information and links please visit the Student Awards and Financial Aid website.  Paper loan applications can be obtained from Enrolment Services should they be deemed necessary by the provincial funding office.  Please note that all part-time loans must be submitted via paper application.

Interest-free status:

Full-time student loans are interest free during periods of full-time university attendance. To ensure that interest-free status continues during full-time study, students must provide adequate proof of enrolment to their lenders.

For each academic year, interest-free status forms must be filled out at Enrolment Services (Mackimmie Library Block, room 117).

Payment of tuition, fees and Student Emergency Loans is the first charge against student loans received from the Government Student Loan plans.  If there are excess funds remitted to a student account, a refund request form is available on http://www.ucalgary.ca/financial/controller/student_receivables/balances_refunds.  If there is a credit balance on a student's account and the terms of the loan have been breached, the credit will be refunded to the loan provider.


Non-repayable grants are made available to full-time students who, because of special circumstances (eg. single parents or students with disabilities), cannot be considered to have normal prospects of completing their education without financial assistance in addition to that provided under other programs (eg. government student loans). Maintenance Grants and Canada Study Grants are available to students with dependants, female doctoral students, students with permanent disabilities and students from low income families. For more information contact Alberta Students Finance at: 1.800.222.6485 or website: http://alis.alberta.ca.

Alberta Student Loan Relief Benefit & Loan Relief Program Completion Payment

The Alberta Student Loan Relief program is provided to assist students in keeping their student loan debt at a manageable level. Alberta students are automatically considered for both the Alberta Student Loan Relief Benefit (for first-time, first-year, full-time students) and the Loan Relief Program Completion Payment (for students completing their studies). Both of these need-based benefits are calculated based on the student's total Alberta and Canada Student Loans. For more information contact Alberta Students Finance at: 1.800.222.6485 or: http://alis.alberta.ca.

Student Budgeting

To determine financial need, students should estimate their living costs (rent, food, local transportation, clothing, entertainment, utilities, miscellaneous expenses, etc.); add tuition, fees, books and supplies for the period they plan to attend (one or two terms) and deduct from total expenses all cash resources such as: savings, scholarships or bursaries, money received or to be received from parents, and any other income to be received during the period of attendance. The net result should be the amount of financial assistance needed.

The following is a guide to establishing a budget within the limits set by Alberta Students Finance.

Note: These figures are based on the 2010-2011 Alberta Students Finance budget figures and should be used only as a general guideline.

Single Students

Living away from home:

- $941 per month living allowance
- Tuition and fees (calculated by program)
- $1,260 - $1,950 books and supplies in most faculties

Living at parent's home:

- $432 per month living allowance
- Tuition and fees (calculated by program)
- $1,260 - $1,950 books and supplies in most faculties

Married Students

Married without children:

- $1,873 per month living allowance
- Spouse's student loan payments
- Tuition and fees (calculated by program)
- $1,260 - $1,950 books and supplies in most faculties

Married with children:

- $1,873 per month living allowance
- $430 per month per child
- Actual child care costs
- Spouse's student loan payments
- Tuition and fees (calculated by program)
- $1,260 - $1,950 books and supplies in most faculties

Single Parent Family including first child:

- $1,628 per month living allowance
- $430 per month per additional child
- Actual child care costs
- Tuition and fees (calculated by program)
- $1,260 - $1,950 books and supplies in most faculties

Part-Time Students

Alberta grant assistance is available to part-time students enrolled in approved courses and is up to $600 per four-month academic term. These bursaries are awarded to Alberta residents on the basis of financial need, as determined by Alberta Students Finance, and are intended to help cover the costs of tuition, books, child care, and travel if required.
The federal government offers two funding programs for part-time students. Loans for part-time students and Canada Study Grants for High Need Part-time Students are awarded on the basis of financial need and provide for tuition, fees, books, transportation, child care and incidentals. Loans are interest bearing, with repayment beginning 30 days after funds are received. A borrower may have an outstanding principal of no more than $4,000 at any one time. Canada Study Grants of up to $1,200 per loan year are available to high need students who cannot study full-time. Both programs are administered by the provincial government on behalf of the federal government. For more information visit http://alis.alberta.ca/ps/fo/studentsfinance/partime.html.

Other Sources of Government Financial Aid

Northern Alberta Development Council Bursaries

The Northern Alberta Development Council Bursary program is intended to offer special bursary assistance to students who demonstrate intention to apply their education after graduation in the northern area of the Province and have been residents of Alberta for the past three years. Successful candidates are awarded a bursary of $6,000 per academic year for up to two years.  Any student who receives a bursary will sign an agreement acknowledging that he/she will work in the northern area of the province for one year per year of funding: http://alis.alberta.ca/et/fo/scholarships/info.html?EK=866

The deadline is May 15.

Federal-Provincial Official Languages in Education Program

These bursary and language assistant programs are designed to assist students in acquiring fluency in Canada’s official languages. The Federal-Provincial Official Languages in Education Program is administered by the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada, in cooperation with the provinces/territories. Application forms, deadline dates and further information may be obtained online at: www.cmec.ca/olp