Feb. 7, 2022
UCalgary recognized as one of Canada’s best diversity employers for 5th year
Through ongoing commitment and initiatives to embed equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the institution, the University of Calgary has been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for the fifth year in a row.
This award recognizes the hard work and changemaking initiatives led by the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (OEDI), the Office of Indigenous Engagement, Human Resources, and undertaken by units across the campus, put into place to achieve an equitable, diverse, inclusive and accessible workplace. These initiatives continue to identify and work to remove barriers and discrimination faced by all members of campus and particularly historically under-represented members of equity-deserving groups — women, Indigenous Peoples, visible/racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ people across our community.
“This recognition is not only the result of a single policy or procedure, but a campus-wide acknowledgment that the University of Calgary can only reach its full potential when everyone on campus feels valued and supported,” says UCalgary President Ed McCauley. “(Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President Research - EDI), Dr. Malinda Smith’s leadership in equity, diversity and inclusion continues to have a tremendous amount of positive influence on our campus, as we move to incorporate inclusion into all facets of the university.”
UCalgary’s Indigenous Strategy, ii’ taa’poh’to’p; the signing of the Scarborough Charter on Anti-Black Racism and Black Inclusion; and numerous workshops, lectures and webinars such as OEDI’s Courageous Conversations, are clear examples of the actions being taken toward a more equitable, diverse and inclusive campus where all students, faculty and staff can thrive.
Canada’s Best Diversity Employers recognizes companies and organizations across Canada that have exceptional workplace diversity and inclusiveness programs. The award recognizes successful diversity initiatives in a variety of areas.
UCalgary was selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 2021 based on these and other initiatives:
- In the last year, UCalgary launched an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Dashboard as part of a commitment to data transparency and creating equitable pathways on campus for all.
- UCalgary has signed on to the Scarborough Charter as part of a commitment to combat anti-Black racism and foster Black inclusion in higher education.
- UCalgary’s Indigenous Strategy, ii' taa'poh'to'p, continued to help guide its response to implementing recommendations from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission report’s call to action.
- The Indigenous Engagement Office created a grant program to promote Indigenous-focused research and initiatives, plus a speaker series to bring Indigenous scholars to campus to share their research.
- In the past year, UCalgary also launched an Indigenous summer student program, working with community partners to hire 27 positions across the campus.
- For the fourth year, UCalgary offered EDI Awards to students, staff, faculty and mixed teams (that might include community members) who have demonstrated a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion on campus through initiatives, research or other activities.
- UCalgary was selected as one of 17 institutions to be part of the Tri-Agency’s Dimensions EDI pilot program. This program takes a multidimensional approach to embedding equity, diversity and inclusion in the research ecosystem.
Read more about UCalgary’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, check out some of our upcoming events, and, if you’re an employee, remember to log in to My UCalgary to complete the Employment Equity Census.