*=UCalgary Student or Postdoc
53. Pujatti, S., BM Tutolo in review Fe oxidation and porosity generation in serpentinized abyssal peridotite. Lithos.
52. Tosca, NJ, BM Tutolo in review Hydrothermal vent fluid-seawater mixing and the origins of Archean iron formation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
51. de Obeso, JC, A.N. Awolayo, M.J. Nightingale; C. Tan; B.M. Tutolo in review Experimental study on plagioclase dissolution rates under conditions relevant to mineral carbonation of seafloor basalts. Chemical Geology
50. Pujatti, S*, O Pluemper, B.M. Tutolo in press Weathering-driven porosity generation in altered oceanic peridotites. Earth and Planetary Science Letters (link)
49. Tosca, N.J., B.M. Tutolo in press Elements Toolkit: Alkalinity in theory and practice. Elements (issue to be published in 2023)
48. Tutolo, BM, NJ Tosca in press Dry, salty, and habitable: The science of alkaline lakes. Elements (issue to be published in 2023)
47. Tosca, N.J., B.M. Tutolo in press How to make an alkaline lake: Fifty years of chemical divides. Elements (issue to be published in 2023)
46. Tutolo, BM, NJ Tosca in press Observational constraints on the process and products of Martian serpentinization. Science Advances.
45. Klyukin, Y., B Mayer, BM Tutolo (2023) Effect of boiler feed water composition on inorganic scaling in Once-Through Steam Generators estimated using a Monte Carlo modelling approach. Applied Geochemistry 105510 (link)
44. Awolayo, A., C.T. Laureijs, J Byng, A.J. Luhmann; R.M. Lauer; B.M. Tutolo (2022) Mineral surface area accessibility and sensitivity constraints on carbon mineralization in basaltic aquifers Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 334: 293-315 (link)
43. Zhang, Q*, A. Awolayo*, M. Nightingale, B.M. Tutolo (2022) Kinetics of glauconite dissolution under anaerobic conditions as a function of pH and temperature. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 336: 78-91. (link)
42. Awolayo, A.* B.M. Tutolo (2022) PyGeochemCalc: A Python package for geochemical thermodynamic calculations and software-specific thermodynamic database production from ambient to deep Earth conditions. Chemical Geology 120984 (link; instructions to access and use PyGCC here)
41.Zhang, Q*, B.M. Tutolo (2022) Evaluation of the Potential of Glauconite in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin for Large-Scale Carbon Dioxide Mineralization. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 117: 103663 (link)
40. Creaser, E.C., M. Steele-MacInnis, B.M. Tutolo (2022) A Model for the solubility of anhydrite in H2O-NaCl fluids from 25 to 800 °C, 0.1 to 1400 MPa, and 0 to 60 wt% NaCl: Applications to hydrothermal ore-forming systems. Chemical Geology 587: 120609. (link)
39. Syverson, D.D., C.T. Reinhardt, T.T. Isson, C. Holstege, J. Katchinoff, B.M. Tutolo, B. Etschmann, J. Brugger, N.J. Planavsky (2021) Nutrient supply to planetary biospheres from anoxic weathering of mafic oceanic crust, Geophysical Research Letters 48(19): e2021GL094442. (link)
38. Klyukin, Y*, M. Nightingale, B. Perdicackis, B. Mayer, B.M. Tutolo (2022) Mineralogical characterization and thermodynamic modelling of scales formed in once through steam generators. Fuel 121990 (link)
37. Tutolo, B.M., A.N. Awolayo*, C. Brown* (2021) Alkalinity generation constraints on basalt carbonation for carbon dioxide removal at the gigaton-per-year scale. Environmental Science & Technology 55, 17, 11906–11915 (link)
36. Zhang, Q*, B.M. Tutolo (2021) Geochemical evaluation of glauconite carbonation during sedimentary diagenesis. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 306: 226-244.
35. Jin, X., J. Wu, R.C. Silva, H. Huang, Z. Zhang, N. Zhong, B. Tutolo, S. Larter (2021) Alternate routes to sustainable energy recovery from fossil fuels reservoirs. Part 1.Investigation of high-temperature reactions between sulfur oxy anions and crude oil. Fuel 302: 121050.
34. Che, Z*, M. Nightingale, B.M. Tutolo (2021) Probing the application of kinetic theory to Mg-phyllosilicate growth with Si isotope doping. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta
33. Pujatti, S.*, Y. Klyukin*, M. Steele-MacInnis, B.M Tutolo i(2021) Anhydrite replacement reaction in nodular pyrite breccia and its geochemical controls on the δ34S signature of pyrite in the TAG hydrothermal mound, 26 °N Mid Atlantic Ridge. Lithos.
32. Chase, J.E., M.L. Arizaleta, B.M. Tutolo (2021) A series of data-driven hypotheses for inferring biogeochemical conditions in alkaline lakes and their deposits based on the behavior of Mg and SiO2. Minerals 11, 106. Invited Review for Special Issue “10th Anniversary of Minerals: Frontiers of Mineral Science” (open access)
31. Syverson, D., J. Katchinoff, LR Yohe, BM Tutolo, WE Seyfried, A Rooney (2021) Experimental partitioning of osmium between pyrite and fluid: Constraints on the mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal flux of osmium to seawater. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 293: 240-255.
30. Arizaleta, M.L., M. Nightingale, BM Tutolo (2020) A rate law for sepiolite growth at ambient temperatures and its implications for early lacustrine diagenesis Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 288: 301-315. (link)
29. Simmons, S.F., B. Tutolo, S. Barker, R. Goldfarb (2020) Processes of hydrothermal Gold deposition in epithermal, Carlin and orogenic Deposits. Society of Economic Geologists Special Publications 23: 1-23.
28. Tutolo, BM, AJ Luhmann, X.-Z Kong, B Bagley, D Alba-Venero, N Mitchell, MO Saar, WE Seyfried, Jr. (2020) Contributions of visible and invisible pores to reactive transport in dolomite Geochemical Perspectives Letters 14, 42-46 . (open access)
27. Tutolo, BM, WE Seyfried, Jr., NJ Tosca (2020) A seawater throttle on H2 production in Precambrian serpentinizing systems Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 117(26): 14756-14763.
26. Escario, S., Nightingale, M., Humez, P., Tutolo, B.M. (2020) The contribution of aqueous catechol-silica complexes to silicification during carbonate diagenesis. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 280, 185–201 (link)
25. Tutolo, B.M., Kiesel, T., Luhmann, A.J., Solheid, P., Seyfried, W.E. (2020) Experimental evaluation of the role of redox during glauconite-CO2-brine interactions. Applied Geochemistry 104558. (link)
24. Edmonds, M., B.M. Tutolo, K. Iacovino, Y. Moussallam (2020) Magmatic carbon outgassing and uptake of CO2 by alkaline waters. American Mineralogist.105 (1), 28-34 (open access)
23. Scheuermann, P. ,B.M. Tutolo; W.E. Seyfried, Jr. (2019) Anhydrite solubility in low-density hydrothermal fluids: experimental measurements and thermodynamic calculations. Chemical Geology 524: 184-195. (link)
22. Harrison, A.L., B.M. Tutolo, D. Depaolo (2019) The role of reactive transport modeling in geologic carbon sequestration. Elements 15: 93-98. (link)
21. Tutolo, B.M., B.W. Evans, S. Kuehner (2019) Serpentine-hisingerite solid solution in altered ferroan peridotite and olivine gabbro. Minerals 9(47): 1-14 (open access)
20. Tosca N. J., Ahmed I. A. M., Tutolo B. M., Ashpitel A. and Hurowitz J. A. (2018) Magnetite authigenesis and the warming of early Mars. Nature Geoscience 11: 635–639 . Link.
19. Tutolo, B.M and N.J. Tosca (2018) Experimental examination of the Mg-silicate-carbonate system at ambient temperature: Implications for alkaline chemical sedimentation and lacustrine carbonate formation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 225: 80-101.
18. Tutolo, B.M., A.J. Luhmann, N.J. Tosca, W.E. Seyfried, Jr. (2018) Serpentinization as a reactive transport process: The brucite silicification reaction. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 484: 385-395.
17. Syverson, D.D., B.M. Tutolo, D.M. Borrok, and W.E. Seyfried Jr (2017) Serpentinization of olivine at 300°C and 500 bars: An experimental study examining the role of silica on the reaction path and oxidation state of iron. Chemical Geology 475: 122-134.
16. Luhmann, A.J., B.M. Tutolo, B.C. Bagley, D.F.R. Mildner, P.P. Scheuermann, J.M. Feinberg, and W.E. Seyfried, Jr. (2017) Chemical and physical changes during seawater flow through intact dunite cores: An experimental study at 150-200°C. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 216: 86-114.
15. Luhmann, A.J., B.M. Tutolo, D.F.R. Mildner, Martin O. Saar, W.E. Seyfried, Jr. (2017) Whole rock basalt alteration from CO2-rich brine during flow-through experiments at 150°C and 150 bar. Chemical Geology 453: 92-110.
14. Luhmann, A.J., B.M. Tutolo, B.C. Bagley, D.F.R. Mildner, W.E. Seyfried, Jr., M.O. Saar (2017) Permeability, porosity, and mineral surface area changes in basalt cores induced by reactive transport of CO2-rich brine. Water Resources Research 53 (3): 1908-1927.
13. Li, Li et al. (including B.M. Tutolo) (2017) Expanding the role of reactive transport models in critical zone processes. Earth Science Reviews 165: 280-301.
12. Simmons, S.F., K.L. Brown, and B.M. Tutolo (2016) Hydrothermal Transport of Ag, Au, Cu, Pb, Te, Zn, and Other Metals and Metalloids in New Zealand Geothermal Systems: Spatial Patterns, Fluid-Mineral Equilibria, and Implications for Epithermal Mineralization. Economic Geology, 111(3): 589-618.
11. Tutolo, B.M., D.F.R. Mildner, C. Gagnon, M.O. Saar, W.E. Seyfried, Jr. (2016) Nanoscale constraints on porosity generation and fluid flow during serpentinization. Geology 44(2): 103-106. Highlighted in Geology Research Focus by Schwarzenbach, E.M., same issue.
10. Tutolo, B.M., X.-Z. Kong, A.J. Luhmann, W.E. Seyfried Jr., and M.O. Saar (2015) High performance reactive transport simulations examining the effects of thermal, hydraulic, and chemical (THC) gradients on fluid injectivity at carbonate CCUS reservoir scales. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 39: 285-301.
9. Seyfried, W.E., Jr., N.J. Pester, B.M. Tutolo, and K. Ding (2015) The Lost City hydrothermal system revisited: Constraints imposed by vent fluid chemistry on alteration mineralization and reaction path processes. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 163: 59-79.
8. Tutolo, B.M., A.J. Luhmann, X.-Z. Kong, W.E. Seyfried Jr., and M.O. Saar (2015) CO2 sequestration in feldspar-rich sandstone: Coupled evolution of fluid chemistry, mineral reaction rates, and hydrogeochemical properties. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 160: 132-154.
7. Finlay, K., R.J. Vogt, M.J. Bogard, B. Wissel, B.M. Tutolo, G. L. Simpson, and P.R. Leavitt (2015) Decrease in CO2 efflux from northern hardwater lakes with increasing atmospheric warming. Nature 519: 215–218.
6. Tutolo, B.M., A. Schaen, M.O. Saar, and W. E. Seyfried, Jr. (2015) Implications of the redissociation phenomenon for mineral-buffered fluids and aqueous species transport at elevated temperatures and pressures. Applied Geochemistry 55: 119-127.
5. Luhmann, A.J., X.-Z. Kong, B.M. Tutolo, N. Garapati, Bagley, B.C., M.O. Saar, and W.E. Seyfried Jr. (2014) Experimental dissolution of dolostone by CO2-charged brine at 100ºC and 150 bars: Evolution of porosity, permeability, and reactive surface area. Chemical Geology 380: 145-160.
4. Tutolo, B.M., X.-Z. Kong, W.E. Seyfried Jr., and M.O. Saar. (2014) Internal consistency in aqueous geochemical data revisited: applications to the aluminum system. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 133: 216-234.
3. Tutolo, B. M., Luhmann, A. J., Kong, X. Z., Saar, M. O., and Seyfried, W. E. (2014) Experimental observation of permeability changes in dolomite at CO2 sequestration conditions. Environmental Science & Technology 48 (4): 2445–2452.
2. Luhmann, A.J., X.-Z. Kong, B.M. Tutolo, K. Ding, M.O. Saar, and W.E. Seyfried Jr. (2013) Permeability reduction produced by grain reorganization and accumulation of exsolved CO2 during geologic carbon sequestration: A new CO2 trapping mechanism. Environmental Science & Technology 47 (1): 242–251.
1. Kong, X.Z., B.M. Tutolo, and M.O. Saar (2013) DBCreate: a SUPCRT92-based program for producing EQ3/6, TOUGHREACT, and GWB thermodynamic databases at user-defined T and P. Computers & Geosciences 51: 415–417.