Open Studies allows students to register in University of Calgary credit courses; however, students are not admitted to a program leading to a degree or diploma.
Students complete an Open Studies Application online available at: ucalgary.ca/future-students/undergraduate/apply
Applicants who do not have a degree (non-degree): Applicants must submit transcripts from all high schools and post-secondary institutions attended.
Applicants who have a degree (degree holders): Transcripts from the last postsecondary institution attended.
To be eligible to registration under this category, students must meet one of the following requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age or older by of the first day of the term to which they applying.
- Have completed or be in the process of completing a high school diploma, or equivalent, with a minimum average of 65 per cent.
- Have completed or be in the process of completing a degree from a recognized/accredited institution with a cumulative minimum 2.00 grade point average.
- Transfer students in good academic standing who have achieved a minimum 2.00 grade point average.
- Are part of a formal exchange agreement.
- Have obtained a letter of permission from their home institution (Visiting Student).
- University of Calgary Alumni.
- Meet the admission requirements for the International Foundations Program.
- Meet the admission requirements for the Aboriginal Student Admission Program (ASAP).
The following students are not permitted to register under the Open Studies category:
(a) Students who are currently under suspension as they were required to withdraw from a faculty at the University of Calgary or from another post-secondary institution within the last twelve months;
(b) Continuing students whose registration has been denied due to enrolment restrictions.
Open Studies - Visiting Students
Visiting students must complete an Application for Open Studies and submit:
- A letter of permission from their home institution indicating the specific courses approved to take and the term(s) approved to attend the University of Calgary.
- A copy of their home institution university transcript which includes all courses, grades and academic standing received.
- English Language Proficiency requirements.
Open Studies - Visiting Student Researcher
The Visiting Student Researcher admission status is available to graduate and undergraduate students who are enrolled in a full-time degree program at an accredited or recognized post-secondary institution. Visiting student researchers are full-time students who attend the University of Calgary to support a specific research project that aligns with their studies at their home institution. To apply as a visiting student researcher students must:
- Submit a completed application for Open Studies and pay the application fee.
- Provide the name of the University of Calgary supervisor and their department name.
- Provide the name and approval of the University of Calgary supervisor’s chair/head of department*.
- Indicate start and end dates on campus.
- Provide details of any financial arrangements (e.g., stipend, travel costs, research expenses, etc.).
*Not applicable if part of a formal exchange agreement. With formal exchange agreements, only the agreement needs to be referenced on the application form.
Open Studies - Exchange Students
Open Studies Exchange students must provide the following:
- Complete the Open Studies Exchange Student Application via the home institution's Exchange Co-ordinator. Permission to enrol and complete courses at the University of Calgary will be approved and submitted by the home institution. Students should consult with their home institution for application information and procedures.
- A most recent transcript including all courses completed and grades achieved.
- Must satisfy the University's English Language Proficiency requirement.