1. Successful completion of an approved program equivalent to 20 full courses.
(a) A minimum grade point average of 2.00 must be achieved over all twenty courses, and the GPA for the major field must also be at least 2.00.
(b) Not more than three full "D" or "D+" grades will be allowed in the twenty courses.
(c) Not more than one full "D" or "D+" grade in the Major field.
2. (a) Not more than 10 of the 20 full courses can be transferred from other institutions and counted toward the degree.
(b) At most four full course equivalents transferred from other institutions may be counted toward the major.
3. Successful completion of at least seven and not more than 10 full-course equivalents in the Major field.
4. At most, eight full-course equivalents at the junior or 200 level.
5. A minimum of 12 full-course equivalents must be taken from courses offered in the Faculties of Communication and Culture, Fine Arts, Humanities, Science and Social Sciences. These twelve must include:
(a) Breadth Requirement: At least four full-course equivalents from courses offered by the Faculties of Communication and Culture, Fine Arts, Humanities and Science. Of the four required full-course equivalents, students must take at least one full-course equivalent in each of at least two faculties. Note that some departments specify requirements from the Faculty of Science.
(b) A minimum of one full-course equivalent outside the major field must be taken in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
6. A maximum of one full-course equivalent physical activity course (Dance Education Activity/Theory, Outdoor Pursuits Activity/Theory, and Physical Education Activity/Theory) may be credited toward the degree program requirements.
7. Successful completion of General Studies 300 with a minimum grade of C-.
(a) Latin American Studies Courses
Latin American Studies 201, 203, 301*, 303, 401
*Possible exemptions from this course may be obtained for health or financial reasons. Students unable to participate in this course must make up the field study requirement with an advanced seminar in their major area of concentration.
(b) Research Methodology
General Studies 313.
(c) Language Component
Two full-course equivalents in either Spanish or Portuguese.
(d) Option Courses
A minimum of two full-course equivalents and not more than five full-course equivalents chosen from the following options. The courses are grouped by Faculty for convenience. If they so choose, students may specialize in a language, literature and culture stream (Humanities and Social Sciences), or in contemporary issues stream (Communication and Culture, Haskayne School of Business, Social Sciences and Social Work). However, students are free to choose any combination of courses from the following options.
Faculty of Communication and Culture
Development Studies 375, 393
Latin American Studies 501
Haskayne School of Business
Directed study courses with Haskayne School of Business professors
Faculty of Humanities
Spanish 421 OR 423, 441*, 471*, 473*, 475*, 499*, 553, 555, 571*, 599*
*When focused on Latin-American topics
Faculty of Nursing
Directed study courses with Nursing professors
Faculty of Social Sciences
Note: Some courses have prerequisites or require consent of the Department.
Anthropology 321, 405, 421
Archaeology 341, 343, 345, 347, 351, 353, 355, 357, 503, 511, 553 (History 553)
Economics 327, 337
Geography 371, 425, 463
History 207, 365, 367, 391 (Political Science 391), 415, 467, 469, 471, 487, 499, 553 (Archaeology 553), 565, 569
International Indigenous Studies 399*, 407*
Political Science 359, 391 (History 391), 473, 579
*When focused on Latin-American topics.
Faculty of Social Work
Directed study courses with Social Work professors