Answer: All of them! All of these items can go in the mixed recyclables bins on campus.
Here are five things to remember about mixed recyclables:
- Over 500 recycling bins on campus have been converted to accept mixed recyclables. There are also bins for refundable beverage containers and compostables.
- Disposable (empty) coffee cups — including *plastic lids and cardboard sleeves — can go in the mixed recyclables bin.
- All plastic containers with recycling symbols #1-7 count as mixed recyclables.
- Cling film and cellophane are not the same thing. Plastic that stretches, like cling film, can be recycled; plastic wrappers that don’t stretch are likely cellophane and need to go in the trash.
- Paper and cardboard go in the mixed recyclables bin.
Nearly 90 per cent of the daily waste we produce at the university can be recycled or composted. In 2015 we diverted 40 per cent of our waste from the landfill; sort before you toss and help UCalgary achieve our institutional sustainability goals.
Learn what else you can recycle and how at ucalgary.ca/sustainability/recycling.
*Plastic lids with a recycling symbol are accepted in the mixed recyclables bin on campus even though they are not accepted in the City’s Blue Cart program.