Bachelor of Music

Courses required in your first year


1. Large Performing Ensembles: Students may register but must audition in September. These are three credit courses that run over the entire year; students must register for both “A” and “B” parts.

2. Recital/listening hours: Recommended, but not required, of BA Music students; no credit weight towards degree.

3. Required only for students who have never played a keyboard instrument. Not for credit towards the degree.

4. Students are only required to complete one of Music 230 or 232.


Remember to register for both fall and winter semesters at the same time.

For further information please contact:
Telephone: 403.220.3580

Studying for a Bachelor of Music degree means that you are a student in the Faculty of Arts.

The Bachelor of Music degree provides the opportunity for you to major in one of four areas, including a combined degree with the Werklund School of Education, following a common first year. At the end of the first year of the program you will be required to select one of the following areas of emphasis:

In addition to a Bachelor of Music degree, the Faculty of Arts offers Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, and Bachelor of Science degree programs. From archeology to women’s studies, there are numerous majors and programs to choose from within the Faculty of Arts.

If you are interested in pursuing a different major or program, explore all the Faculty of Arts has to offer.

If you are coming to the University of Calgary with Advanced Placement credit or International Baccalaureate credit, you will follow the same registration process as any first time university student. You may be eligible to use your transfer credit in your degree program depending on the program you have entered and whether or not the courses are applicable. Look for International Baccalaureate credit information at and Advanced Placement information at

You may view your transfer credit by logging in to your online Student Centre. Once you know the transfer credit you have received, you may contact the academic advisor in your faculty to get advice on course selection.

Generally, students must complete 18 units at the junior (200-level) before they are allowed to register in 300-level courses. However, if you received IB or AP credit for a 200-level course, you may take the 300-level course that has your 200-level course listed as a prerequisite.

International Study Opportunities: Experience different cultures, gain a better understanding of world issues, and travel around the globe, all while earning credit towards your degree. The University of Calgary offers exchanges and study abroad programs in 61 different countries.

Community Service-Learning: Combine your classroom learning with volunteer work that achieves community goals, and see first-hand how your academic learning relates to social issues.

Co-Curricular Record: Have your out-of-classroom experiences such as volunteer work, leadership training and club involvement documented on a Co-Curricular Record, an official document sanctioned by the University of Calgary. The Co-Curricular Record is the first of its kind in Western Canada.

Music Undergraduate Society (MUS): Be part of the Undergraduate Society that offers a number of services for Music students, including a lesson/clinic/gig referral service for members, as well as fund-raisers and social activities.