Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Faculty of Graduate Studies General Information
Graduate Students' Association (GSA)
Academic Schedule
Faculty of Graduate Studies Degrees Information
Awards and Financial Assistance for Graduate Students
Tuition and General Fees
Academic Regulations
D.1 Registration
D.2 Transfer Credit
D.3 Student Status
D.4 Program Transfers
D.5 Withdrawals
D.6 Time Limits
D.7 Leave of Absence
E. Combined Degrees
F. Interdisciplinary Degrees
G. Internships
H. Academic Standing
H.1 Distribution of Grades
H.2 Student Standing (Course-Based)
H.3 Student Progress (Thesis-Based)
I. Language
J. Supervision
K. Candidacy
L. Theses
M. Thesis Examinations
N. Graduation
O. Appeals
P. Statement of Intellectual Honesty
Q. Statement on Principles of Conduct
R. Student Misconduct
S. Integrity in Scholarly Activity
T. Sexual Harassment
U. Statement of Support for Persons with Life Threatening Communicable Illnesses
V. Vacation
Program Descriptions
Interdisciplinary Specializations
Courses of Instruction
Student and Campus Services
About the University of Calgary
Graduate Studies Calendar 2017-2018 Academic Regulations H. Academic Standing H.3 Student Progress (Thesis-Based)
H.3 Student Progress (Thesis-Based)

Graduate students are expected to maintain adequate progress. This includes timely completion of required course work, progress to candidacy according to the program’s candidacy timeline, and steady and meaningful work on the thesis. Supervisors/graduate programs should ensure, through annual progress reports and otherwise, that the student is informed in writing about concerns regarding progress.

Poor academic standing is defined by any one, or combination, of the following conditions:

  1. A student who receives a "C+" or lower in any one course.
  2. Thesis-based students who do not maintain a GPA of at least 3.00 within the last 12 months (calculated in the May reviewing period) are considered to be in poor academic standing.

A graduate program may recommend to the Faculty of Graduate Studies that a student be required to withdraw for lack of satisfactory progress in either course work or research.

The Faculty of Graduate Studies, after consultation with the graduate program and/or supervisory committee concerned, may initiate the withdrawal of a student.

Final grades may be accessed through the online Student Centre at

Annual Student Progress Report

Each thesis-based graduate student must file an annual progress report with their graduate program, typically during the month of May every year (the time may vary by program). Delinquent students may be denied registration.

The annual progress report is accessed from the Student Centre at