Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Fee Payment Deadlines
Academic Schedule
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student Services
Undergraduate Admissions
Academic Regulations
Tuition and General Fees
International Foundations Program
Faculty of Arts
Cumming School of Medicine
Faculty of Environmental Design
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing
Qatar Faculty
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
1. Summary of Degree Programs
2. Faculty Regulations
3. Werklund School of Education Regulations
3.1 Admission
3.2 Registration and Courses
3.2.1 Accuracy of Registration
3.2.2 Registration Planning and Consultation
3.2.3 Residency
3.2.4 Course Load
3.2.5 Withdrawal from Courses
3.2.6 Repetition of Courses
3.2.7 Deferral of Term Work
3.2.8 Leave of Absence
3.2.9 Duration of Study
3.3 Student Standing and Academic Review
4. BEd Program Details
5. Administration
Co-operative Education/Internship
Continuing Education
Awards and Financial Assistance
About the University of Calgary
Who's Who
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
Summary of Revisions
University of Calgary Calendar 2015-2016 Werklund School of Education 3. Werklund School of Education Regulations 3.2 Registration and Courses 3.2.4 Course Load
3.2.4 Course Load

The BEd program is a full-time program. Only students admitted to the BEd will be permitted to register in Education (EDUC) courses.

Additional Courses Outside of Werklund School of Education

Since the BEd program is a full-time professional program, students are not allowed to take more than 15 units (2.5 full-course equivalents) per each Fall or Winter Term without the express permission of the Associate Dean. This includes courses outside the Werklund School of Education.

Courses From Other Institutions

Students in the Four-Year BEd (Community-Based) program may choose to take additional coursework at another institution to use towards their required non-education courses. Students may apply online for authorization by requesting a Letter of Permission through their online Student Centre. Students should check with student advisors in the Werklund School of Education to ensure that the courses taken would meet requirements prior to enrolling.

Students in the Five-Year BEd (Concurrent) program should consult with their co-operating Faculty if they are interested in taking courses from another institution to be used towards their non-education degree requirements.

Students in the Two-Year BEd (Consecutive) program may choose to take additional coursework at another institution to meet certification requirements prior to admission to the program. The GPA calculation for the Werklund School of Education will not include the courses taken at another institution for certification purposes.

Once approved, an appropriate letter will be sent to the Registrar of the other university. The Letter of Permission must be obtained before the student registers for the courses at the other institution.

It will be the responsibility of the student to ensure that an official transcript of grades is forwarded directly to the Registrar of the University of Calgary in order that appropriate credit may be officially recorded.

Students with poor academic performance, including those on probation or having a large number of withdrawals, will not be allowed to take courses at another institution.