Seymour Schulich Academic Excellence Scholarships and Community Service/Entrepreneurial Awards are prestigious renewable awards offered to students applying to the University of Calgary on the basis of their high school grades and entering the first year of a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree program in the Schulich School of Engineering.
Seymour Schulich Community Service/Entrepreneurial Awards are based on academic merit as well as contribution to school life, community service and/or entrepreneurial talent.
Seymour Schulich Academic Excellence Scholarships are based on exceptional academic merit.
- Value: $11,400 for Calgary and area recipients; $22,800 for recipients from outside Calgary.
- Eligibility: Open to high school students entering the first year in the Schulich School of Engineering in the Fall Term. Students entering the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program or the English for Academic Purposes + Degree program are not eligible for these awards and should apply prior to entering the first year of an undergraduate degree program.
The scholarship average is based on five Grade 11 courses (or five Grade 12 if available).
Due to the University of Calgary’s policy of equitable award distribution, recipients of the Seymour Schulich Academic Excellence Scholarship or Seymour Schulich Community Service/Entrepreneurial Award are not eligible to receive a President’s Admission Scholarship or a University of Calgary Entrance Scholarship.
- Application: Submit the High School Awards application available in November in the online Student Centre through the MY U OF C portal (www.ucalgary.ca). In submitting this application by the early deadline of December 15th (of the year prior to entering the University) applicants are considered for all competitive high school awards including Chancellor's Club Scholarships, the Seymour Schulich Academic Excellence Scholarships and the Seymour Schulich Community Service/Entrepreneurial Awards.
REMINDER: As part of the process of applying for admission, the University of Calgary issues a UCID number to each incoming student. This UCID number (or student ID) is required to apply for student awards. Formal or early admission to the U of C is not required before applying for awards
- Notification: Recipients are notified by email in March and must accept their award in the on-line Student Centre.
- Registration Requirement(s): Recipients must maintain full-time enrolment in a minimum of 30.00 units through the upcoming Fall and Winter Terms.
- Payment: Award funds are split into two equal payments over Fall and Winter Terms and are automatically applied to outstanding tuition and fees. Excess award funds are processed by the end of October (Fall Term) and by the end of February (Winter Term) and are refunded into the student’s bank account by direct deposit. Award recipients must provide their banking information to the university through the online Student Centre.
- Renewability: Seymour Schulich Academic Excellence Entrance Scholarships are renewable at $11,400 or $17,000 annually in second and third year at the University of Calgary provided the student earns a minimum GPA of 3.50 on at least 30.00 units over the previous Fall and Winter Terms and completes a minimum of 30.00 units in the upcoming Fall and Winter Terms in the Schulich School of Engineering.
Seymour Schulich Community Service/Entrepreneurial Entrance Awards are renewable at $11,400 or $17,000 annually in second and third year at the University of Calgary provided the student earns a minimum GPA of 2.70 on at least 30.00 units over the previous Fall and Winter Terms and completes a minimum of 30.00 units in the upcoming Fall and Winter Terms in the Schulich School of Engineering. These recipients must also provide evidence of their continued contribution to school life, community service and/or entrepreneurial activities.
- Spring and Summer courses are not used to reduce course load requirements, nor are they used in calculating the GPA required for renewal.