Welcome to the ChILD Research Group!
Two of our amazing researchers, Lorraine Reggin and Dr. Penny Pexman, have a new article in the Journal Early Childhood Education. In the article, the researchers discuss the concept of embodied cognition, the idea that our knowledge comes from our own experiences with the real world, and explore how this relates to learning in young children. They discuss the implications of this, and provide take home messages to readers. The article is available for download in pdf format here!
ChILD Research Group members have created a colouring book to help children understand sarcasm. We have translated the book to several languages, with more to come. To access click on the links to the right!
We are four University of Calgary psychology labs doing research on children's language & learning!
- We have studies setup as TV shows or games for children to play
- When your child is eligible to participate in one of our studies, a researcher will contact you and provide you with details about the study
- Children aged 2-months to 14 years of age are able to participate
- Our research is non-evaluative and not clinical, and does not assess the skills of individual children
- We will arrange a time that is convenient for you to do the study!
Due to the current COVID-19 Pandemic, we are not conducting any in-person studies at this time. Our labs are in the process of setting up studies that can be safely done online. If you are interested in participating with your children, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know if we have any studies your children can participate in!
The Ch.I.L.D. Research Group has made a list of openly-accessible material for families. These include information regarding COVID-19, educational resources and more. Click the link to find out more.