The University of Calgary offers bursaries to students enrolled in the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program in the Cumming School of Medicine.
Students wishing to apply for the competitive Medical Elective Awards submit a separate application; refer to the “Medical Elective Awards” section in this Calendar for details.
- Eligibility: Open to students entering or continuing in the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at the University of Calgary.
Students in year two or three of the Doctor of Medicine program must be in satisfactory academic standing to be eligible for these awards.
Students entering the Bachelor of Health Sciences or Bachelor of Community Rehabilitation program (admitted on the basis of their high school grades) are not eligible for these awards and should apply for High School Awards (refer to the “High School Awards” section of this Calendar for details).
Students continuing in the Bachelor of Health Sciences or Bachelor of Community Rehabilitation program are not eligible for these awards and should apply for Undergraduate Awards for Continuing Students (refer to the “Undergraduate Awards for Continuing Students” section of this Calendar for details).
- Application: Competitive awards: Students must submit the Cumming School of Medicine Bursaries application, available June 1, 2014 in the online Student Centre through the MyUofC portal (https://my.ucalgary.ca).
DEADLINE: August 10, 2014.
Students who complete the Medicine Bursaries application are also considered for Differential Tuition bursaries, provided the applicant submits proof of all outstanding government student loans. To be eligible for a Differential Tuition Bursary, a student must be paying the differential tuition fee to the Cumming School of Medicine for the academic year in which the Differential Tuition Bursary is awarded.
Nominated awards: No application required. Recipients are nominated by the faculty.
- Notification: Recipients are notified by email for nominated awards in July; for competitive awards and Differential Tuition Bursaries at the end of August.
- Registration Requirement: Recipients must maintain full-time enrolment in the Doctor of Medicine program.
- Payment: Award funds are split into two equal payments over Fall and Winter Terms, and are automatically applied to outstanding tuition and fees. Award values stated as ‘tuition and fees’ do not include differential tuition fees.