The Department of Computer Science at the University of Calgary is a leading research and teaching institution with a strong international reputation.
The Department is first and foremost built on a high-quality faculty that leads our research and teaching endeavours. We are willing to take on controversial issues to ensure our students receive an education that is relevant to the industrial world they will work in. We offer an environment that promotes cutting-edge research and that provides first-rate equipment and facilities. Our undergraduate education is based on a modern accredited curriculum, allows students to specialize in several core areas of computer science, and offers the broadest selection of third and forth year courses in Canada.
- We have numerous courses to choose from in the 4th year (among the most in Canada). This allows a student to gain some expertise in a lot of combinations of topics customized to his/her interests.
- We have 8 concentrations that provide students with suggestions for interesting and useful course combinations, including outside options (for students that feel a little bit lost by the wide variety of courses to choose from).
- We introduced the first concentration in Canada focusing on the development of commercial computer games.
- We have close to 300 computers available for undergraduate use running a mixture of Windows and Linux.
- We maintain a very popular open source mirror site (including Fedora, Cygwin and more).
- With the Campus Card we allow 24/7 access to computers and printing
- We have undergraduate labs dedicated to Graphics and HCI