Course supplementary fees may be charged to students for materials or services associated with particular courses or sections of courses. Students will be notified of the additional fees in one of three ways: (1) mandatory supplementary fees will be described and listed in course outlines; (2) such fees are viewable under Class Notes through the online Class Search; (3) upon registration in a class with Supplementary fees, such fees are indicated in the Finances section under Account Inquiry of the online Student Service Centre via MyUofC. Departments/instructors are not permitted to charge mandatory supplementary fees which are not assessed by Enrolment Services. Students may be charged a laboratory breakage fee by departments.
Mandatory supplementary fees for courses will be payable to Enrolment Services at the University of Calgary by the same deadline dates for all fee assessments and are non-refundable after the last day to drop courses for the term(s) in which the course is being offered.
The following general principles are applicable to course supplementary fees:
1. Operating revenues (including tuition fees) should provide for credit instruction, which includes the following:
- Evaluation of work/performance which includes practicums, marking of papers, examinations and other assignments.
- Laboratory use (including computer laboratories), laboratory assistance and/or supervision, laboratory materials or supplies, if required for credit instruction, not including laboratory coats and other equipment which becomes the property of the student.
- Resources to support instruction; that is, materials or services required as a result of the method of teaching used by the instructor, including but not limited to the following: classroom audio visual equipment, models for art classes, practice rooms, films and videotapes used for instructional purposes, course outlines, etc.
- Library facilities and related basic services.
2. Mandatory supplementary fees for courses are those which may be considered for special materials or services not included under general principle #1, if deemed necessary for the successful completion of the course as approved by the Vice-President (Finance & Services).
3. Optional supplementary costs are those which may be incurred for materials which become the property of the student and for which the student has the option of obtaining from a variety of sources. Examples include but are not limited to the following: art supplies, equipment which would become the property of the student, laboratory coats, laboratory manuals, and materials which are reproduced (all of which could, and probably should, be purchased through a University retail outlet).
These principles do not apply to courses offered off-campus. Questions regarding mandatory supplementary fees can be directed to Enrolment Services or the department initiating the fee.