A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD WITH HONOURS REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 54 units (9.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 72 units (12.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of History while fulfilling the following requirements:
1. Practice of History: History 300.
2. Canadian History: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) in Canadian History (see note below).
3. History before 1850: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) in history before 1850 (see note below).
4. Honours Seminar, Readings and Essay: History 496, 597 and 598.
5. History Options: An additional 27 units (4.5 full-course equivalents) from the Field of History.
6. Upper-Year Courses: Inclusive of the courses used to fulfill requirements 2-5 above, at least 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) must be at the 400 level and at least 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) must be at the 500 level. (History 597 and 598 may not be used to fulfill this requirement. History 591 may not be used to fulfill this requirement without the prior written consent of the Honours Advisor).
7. Inclusive of the courses used in requirements 1-6 above, at least 48 units (8.0 full-course equivalents) must be at the senior level.
C. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Language Requirement: 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) in a language other than English relevant to a student's studies.
D. DEGREE OPTIONS
The BA Honours in History can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
- History students are advised to take History 300 during their second year and must do so before taking History 496 and any 500-level courses.
- History 496 is a 3 unit (0.5 full-course equivalent) course, normally completed in the third year, dealing predominantly with differing interpretations, theories and philosophies of History.
- The lists of courses that fulfill the requirements for Canadian History and history before 1850 are located before the History courses in the “Courses of Instruction” section of this calendar.
- History 597 is a 3-unit (0.5 full-course equivalent) directed reading course in their special field of interest, which is normally completed in the third year.
- In History 598 (6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent)) during the final year, under the supervision of one of the members of the Department, students write an Honours Essay using primary source materials. Students are also expected to participate in sessions throughout the year that will be facilitated by the Honours Advisor.
- In some situations it may be possible to demonstrate language proficiency by examination rather than course work.